Author Topic: alltek mpu's  (Read 311 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
alltek mpu's
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
What are people's thoughts on these pcb's. Are there any limitations or draw backs compared to the old originals? I know one major plus is that you have the opportunity to set most games on free play.

I'm thinking of getting one for my spacies if the new pcb's can warrant the expenditure. My original mpu seems ok so its not a matter of necessity to get the game working or anything.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: alltek mpu's
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »
I think having one in your "fleet" is a great thing. Very handy for fast faultfinding in an unknown machine without needing to burn EPROMS

For a permanent repair in one machine that the board won't be moved from I prefer an original.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:34:28 PM »
I think having one in your "fleet" is a great thing. Very handy for fast faultfinding in an unknown machine without needing to burn EPROMS

For a permanent repair in one machine that the board won't be moved from I prefer an original.
thanks mike, but can I ask why you prefer the original? Do they perform better or is it purely a cost factor

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
I agree, i'm yet to grab one too as a flying spare around the house and to help prove MPU board issues versus wiring issues etc.

There's always gonna be an argument about 'original' versus 'i just wanna play it, dont care wots inside'.

The homepin Bally clone is a great replacement too, but there's still many people who'll still refuse to use it, even though it's main focus was to remain as faithful to the original as possible.....go figure.

MM

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the Altek is the half size - does not look right *.*

I like having an Altek on hand for troubleshooting machines, but all my games have repaired originals with NO batteries (most have memory caps). If repaired properly the original boards are very reliable.

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the Altek is the half size - does not look right *.*
....as i said.....There's always gonna be an argument about 'original' versus 'i just wanna play it, dont care wots inside'.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »
I use my trusty workshop Altek all the time. Quick way of isolating faults. I don't have an altek in any of my personal games as I repair my own or use the Homepin replacement. No reason other than I like repairing the old boards.

In my restored Bally and Stern's that I sell, I use the originals or I've used Homepin's with success.

I have at least one repair or "project" game a week where the customer want's a quick and easy repair - so I've stocked up on Alteks as a turnkey solution. The warranty alone is worth the price. I've had quite a few "restored" games where Alteks have been installed, but the connector pins are corroded or damaged, and even worse, the +5V Cap is not replaced.

Customers prefer the savings on the Altek to be spent repinning connectors - this ensures the game is working 100%.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
Rob,

Ive had one running in a Bally Star Trek faultless for over 5 years and still going strong.

No hassles what so ever.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
Rob,

Ive had one running in a Bally Star Trek faultless for over 5 years and still going strong.

No hassles what so ever.
thanks mate, great to hear