Author Topic: Apron Art using Water Slide Decals  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Apron Art using Water Slide Decals
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »
I dont have photoshop. If anyone can get apron decals for Flash pls let me know.
:)

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
there's some pictures of a nice looking flash Sinbad

Maybe someone could draw some apron pictures up for you?

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 10:05:03 PM »
So Kev do you use the clear or white waterslide paper ?

Well what did you use to do this apron ?  !@#  @.@
I use the clear.
Will try to put the full details on a new thread. WHERE DO I PUT THE NEW THREAD ?
Millsy *!@
pinballaustralia.com

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »
Kev, How good is that. Well done. I'm keen to give it a go as well. My Pioneer & Golden Arrow has the same apron & are very faded & the mates Surfer needs doing as well.
 ^^^
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 07:48:09 AM »
Kev, How good is that. Well done. I'm keen to give it a go as well. My Pioneer & Golden Arrow has the same apron & are very faded & the mates Surfer needs doing as well.
 ^^^

Kev,

How good is that? You are really getting it all together in the restoration department.

Good on you mate  ^^^

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »
I am going to have a crack at doing Flash's apron with Kevs guidance, am looking forward to having another resto project/skill.
 *%*

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 08:35:54 AM »
I am going to have a crack at doing Flash's apron with Kevs guidance, am looking forward to having another resto project/skill.
 *%*

PM sent  %$%
DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 09:40:24 AM »
PM replied Wotto :)

These pics show the shittiness of my Flash's apron, will it be difficult to tidy-up the art? Someone has touched-up Williams, and there is surface rust stains as well, and some art worn-away. The artwork over the ball shooter is near perfect though.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »
milsy. are you planning to sell theese,i would love a set for my cleopatra,same as yours?
milsey i would love the scans for these.could you please e-mail them
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »
Amazing stuff. I put the stick on paper decals on my T2, the W and bottom border parts and its ordinary IMO. This might be the go. Only prblem is to take the sticker off, I reckon I'll lose the original to scan.

But just wondering, I noticed inkjet paper. Doesn't the ink run when wet or have I missed something here?

Look forward to the thread wherever it is
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »
APRON ART USING WATER SLIDE DECALS
Here is a detailed description on applying Water Slide Decals (I like to call them transfers),remember you are removing the original artwork off the apron.
TOOLS and MATERIALS REQUIRED
1) A4 Scanner (Don't worry if you cant scan the whole apron, scan sections.)
2) Any cheap Inkjet Printer (These decals use less ink than the normal decal or photo so its works out cheaper)
3) Photoshop or Paint programme.(Best to scan & print through photoshop as they come out the original size) also good programme for cleaning & touching up the artwork.
4) Clear Water Slide Paper (You wont find it at officeworks, I found this to be the cheapest online -http://www.thecopiercompany.com.au/products.asp?id=127
5) Sandpaper,Spray Can of Acrylic Primer & Spray Can of Acrylic Paint, I used Sno White (Available from Supa Cheap Auto)
6) Spray Can of White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic from Bunnings
7) Sharp pair of sissors to cut out transfer and a bowl of water to remove the transfer.
APPLYING THE TRANSFERS
APPLYING THE TRANSFERS
1) Rubb back the paint on the apron,apply a couple of coats of primer then a couple of coats of the top coat (I also painted the Shooter cover as well as the top apron)
2) Print the design on the glossy side of the decal paper.Leave the printed paper to dry for at least 30 minutes.
Coat the printed paper with a clear acrylic spray. Apply 2 to 3 coats to obtain a clear shiny finish on the paper. This will ensure the ink is sealed on the paper. Allow half to one hour to dry and set. During winter or humid days use a hairdryer to speed up the process.
Once dry, the design or image can be cut out using a sharp pair of scissors or craft knife.
After the transfer has been cut from the sheet, place into a bowl or cup of clean water for approximately 30 seconds.
When the transfer film begins to slip from the backing paper, it is ready to apply to the apron. Slip a small amount of the transfer from the backing to the apron,then gently remove the backing paper while applying the film to the apron.
3) After completely dry, spray complete apron with 1 to 2 coats of clear.
TIP : When cutting out transfers, cut as close as possible to the artwork - Avoid straight lines,use curves around letters - it looks better & looks like a paint layer. Practice on a spare piece of metal or a trashed apron before rubbing back youre original apron in case you dont like the final result.

I think Ive covered everything
Cheers Millsy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:54:06 PM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Astroboy

• Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
Good on ya Millsy! Nice solution for a sticky problem!
My Williams Skylab has a shitty apron, so I am looking at something similar following your results. As I do not intend to totally restore the machine I might try to apply the decals directly over the un-refinished apron to preserve some of the patina of age.
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 10:06:28 PM »
Amazing stuff. I put the stick on paper decals on my T2, the W and bottom border parts and its ordinary IMO. This might be the go. Only prblem is to take the sticker off, I reckon I'll lose the original to scan.

But just wondering, I noticed inkjet paper. Doesn't the ink run when wet or have I missed something here?

Look forward to the thread wherever it is
I found the difference between the stick on decal to the water slide decal to be the thickness - The water slide decal is close to thickness of a layer of enamel paint - less obvious to look at than the stick on decal.
The coating of clear eliminates any ink bleed from the transfer - exactly the same color that came out of the printer.
Anybody got any spare,trashed later model aprons I can experiment with -preferably with black background like sinbads flash -only requirement -the artwork needs to be visible -does not matter if rusted,chipped,scratched etc as long as I can scan it to get at least an outline of the art.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
I can send you the one from my video Kev it suits the trashed criteria lol  !*!

Offline Astroboy

• Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »
With inkjets you have to seal the transfer with a spray. Laserjet ones are colorfast straight out of the printer.
Apparently some printers will print white! That would be handy but expensive I am sure.
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.