Author Topic: Thumbs up to Pascal Janin  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Thumbs up to Pascal Janin
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 08:29:09 PM »
Sounds like neither will be available to play any time soon tho... but if you don't mind Nino, I'd like to have a look at the board when it comes in.

I didn't know Pascal had done a System 80 board also?? Cool! This is more great news in the pinball world!

No probs. I'll let you know when it is here.

Pascal has not finished the SYS80 board - it should be ready in 3 months.. and it will have the code for Spirit !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
I'm looking at doing a Joker Poker. Think after reading this feedback I might ditch the original boards and just go with one of Pascals boards.  Nice to read feedback of someone that has actually played a game with one of these boards.

If you can get the game working with the old boards - try that first - just to be sure everything works. Then at least you have a spare set you can sell later on.

I installed one in a Genie, and it was able to utilize the "advanced sounds" that are incorporated into the daughterboard (extra expense). The end result was a system 1 game with similar sounds to a system 80.. Remarkably better.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »
 /\
 ||
What he said - but don't blame the board set unless you have re-pinned all the connectors - remarkable how many problems are resolved by replacing the connectors.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »
Yeah I know only too well how important the connectors are, I have a HH.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »
Yeah I know only too well how important the connectors are, I have a HH.

I will be fixing the original HH boardset in mine (missing a CPU board), and then either just buying a Ni Wumpf sys80 CPU board or go the big $$ on a Pascal PI X80... I will buy a PI X80 for the Spirit.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »
Love HH, I've done every mod to this machine of mine now and it runs very nice. 

I rebuilt the original power supply, but thought that the 5v wasn't still good enough and ended up buying a replacement from greatplains which is an excellent product.

Upgraded the original pop bumper boards but ended up replacing them with rottendog, which are excellent.

Bought the rottendog driver board for it, it too suffers from grounding problems and originally wouldn't work in my machine.  Got it to work, still prefer the original driver board thou the rottendog seems to give the solenoids an extra punch during play.

Bought the Ni Wumpf cpu, didn't like it so the original went back in.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 10:42:04 AM »

What issues did you have with the HH CPU from Ni Wumpf ? I'm interested as I was thinking of getting one and yours is the second Ni Wumpf in a HH that is not 100%..

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »
Love HH, I've done every mod to this machine of mine now and it runs very nice. 

I rebuilt the original power supply, but thought that the 5v wasn't still good enough and ended up buying a replacement from greatplains which is an excellent product.

Upgraded the original pop bumper boards but ended up replacing them with rottendog, which are excellent.

Bought the rottendog driver board for it, it too suffers from grounding problems and originally wouldn't work in my machine.  Got it to work, still prefer the original driver board thou the rottendog seems to give the solenoids an extra punch during play.

Bought the Ni Wumpf cpu, didn't like it so the original went back in.

My brother owned an HH a few years ago, it had it's fair share of problems so when he decided to sell it, I passed up the opportunity to buy it because I thought it was too much trouble to fix it. There was nothing wrong with the playfield, cabinet or BG, it was only electrical problems. Now I know that all of the problems could have been fixed and I regret the decision not to buy it. Hindsight sucks  ::)

Matthew

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »
Regarding the Ni Wumph board for sys1 pins... two yrs ago i bought two of them... One ended up in my Solar Ride, and the other i tried in Roller Disco, which i promptly pulled out and put the original cpu back in. It seems they changed some of the rules for some games, so some of the features worked differently.. eg; on Roller Disco, normally when xtra ball is won it holds any bonus multipliers won and carries the over to the next ball... the Ni Wumpf board resets multipliers for every ball. Also the advance multiplier lanes usually score 20,000 when 5x bonus is lit on the original board, and only 5000 for the Ni Wumpf!! And the bonus countdown is painfully slow!!! Had similar issues with the Ni Wumpf when tried in my Buck Rogers.

Well that was over two yrs ago... maybe they've changed the software since then?? Or maybe i'm being too picky, lol.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 12:39:39 AM »
They definitely have changed the software since you last tried it, but I don't know if it has fixed the problems you have found...

I contacted Pascal yesterday to enquire about the PI-X4 board, and he responded very quickly! So have decided to order it with the add-on sound board for a Hulk pinball. The owner contacted me about it after purchasing the machine with no boards or displays... so this will be my first time using the PI-X4 board... unless of course I go to Nino's place for the party first!

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 12:43:38 AM »

What issues did you have with the HH CPU from Ni Wumpf ? I'm interested as I was thinking of getting one and yours is the second Ni Wumpf in a HH that is not 100%..

Plays the game start music at the start of every ball  ^.^

Also scoring is different.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 12:54:09 AM »
sounds like Pascal is ahead in the Battle of the Boards!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
sounds like Pascal is ahead in the Battle of the Boards!

I would agree... Rottendog are now entering the market with system1 and system80 CPU boards.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »
They definitely have changed the software since you last tried it, but I don't know if it has fixed the problems you have found...

I contacted Pascal yesterday to enquire about the PI-X4 board, and he responded very quickly! So have decided to order it with the add-on sound board for a Hulk pinball. The owner contacted me about it after purchasing the machine with no boards or displays... so this will be my first time using the PI-X4 board... unless of course I go to Nino's place for the party first!

Well, the Pascal PI-1 X4 board arrived today (actually a week ago, but I only got to the PO Box for the first time in a week today)...

I only ordered them a couple of weeks ago, so this is great and fast service! And Pascal has been very quick to respond to all my emails... always within 24 hours.

So, another big THANKS and Thumbs Up to Pascal for providing a great product, along with great service ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Now to go install the board...

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »

Plays the game start music at the start of every ball  ^.^

Also scoring is different.

Yes I found the scoring different when in attract mode. Dont know if it is only the version of software I have and if it has since been revised and fixed. 

For example if only one player had played the normal sys 1 shows the actual final score in player 1 and in player Nos. 2, 3 & 4 it reads 000000, NiWumph shows only a single 0 in player 2,3 & 4 displays.  Also noted that when the game ends the NIWUMPH flicks to High Score to Date immediatly instead of staying on the final players scores for a few seconds so that you can see if you have matched or not.

Anyone know if this was fixed in later software revisions?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:12:15 PM by Dean Morgan »
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock