Author Topic: Thumbs up to Pascal Janin  (Read 6034 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Thumbs up to Pascal Janin
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:02:55 PM »
A little over a year ago I bought two of Pascal Janin's Gottlieb System 1 replacement boards. For one game I got the stand alone CPU as I had scored a NIB power supply and driver board. For the other game I got the all in one board - this has the CPU, power supply and driver board combined into a single board.

Last night I went over to my mates place for a party. He's got my Joker Poker with the CPU only version. I haven't been there since I dropped the game off (we see each other each week for footy so don't tend to visit much otherwise).

It dawned on me just how good that system is - the game was still in perfect working condition (I'll need to get over with some novus and some rubbers though) and has not missed a single beat. It got played the whole night by adults and kids (it was never not being played) and it just performed flawlessly. Of course I did re-pin every connector which adds to the reliability, but it reminded me just how good the Pascal boards are. I have one in my Asteroid Annie (alas, packed away at the moment) and that was flawless too until she was packed away.

The boards allow the user to play under identical rules to the original, or a big selection off improvements, and a "wizard" setting which enables all of the relevant extra things in one setting - vastly improved light show, a skill shot, free play and every bug or issue with the original code fixed. The displays are even used as a basic alpha numeric (some of the letters are a stretch, but it works really well). A whole bunch of diagnostics not found in these old games is of course provided.

And you don't need the original ROM - Pascal has written every code for every system 1 game onto the unit, so you simply select which game using the credit switch when you first install it, and it stays that game unless changed.

So if you ever come across a system 1 with a faulty or missing CPU (and it's basically impossible to repair the CPU if the spider chip is fried) then never hesitate if you like the game - these boards are fantastic!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Thumbs up to Pascal Janin
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »

I concur.. Pascal's Boards are A1..

I'm on the System80 "all in one" list already.

I have installed a PI-X4 on a Genie and it has never missed a beat..

His support is second to none.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »
Just bought one for the Sinbad which I can't wait to play with it installed. (hint hint Nino  ^^^)

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »
I tried to contact him a few years back and never got a response... and was told at the time by a mate in Sydney that Pascal is a hard man to track down!

I take it things have changed now??

I've only ever heard great reports about his board system, but never seen one in the flesh so to speak...

Which has meant that I have only ever used the other replacement board that is available, and have had great dealings with them over the last few years (Not sure if I should mention the name in this thread... if OK, then I will).

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
Not sure if I should mention the name in this thread... if OK, then I will.

Absolutely you should Owen - the more info the better and alternatives are a good thing!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »
I'm sure most of you know about the Ni-Wumpf boards for the System 1 Gottliebs anyway... I just didn't want to take away from the kudos to Pascal...

A few years back, I contacted Ace (David Humphrey) at Ni-Wumpf because of a software problem I was having on one of their replacement CPU boards. The problem was that the bookkeeping information was getting messed up, and this in turn caused other random and intermittent faults. After emailing Ace back and forth with questions, answers and information, he worked out that it was due to the new software (at that time) which they had incorporated for the "G-Sound" board's extended functions.

He was so helpful with that problem, and I was glad I could also help them with fault-finding and testing of the revised version of the software he sent to me to test for them. They have always answered any emails quickly for me, and so I have been using their boards ever since.

But, I still would like to see one of Pascal's boards in action... I want to see what all the fuss is about!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 06:13:08 PM »
When I finally get Asteroid Annie out again you can come over and have a beer or 2 Owen and put her through her paces!  :D

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »

I have used Ni Wumpfs on several machines and had great results. Both Pascal and Ace (David Humphrey) are a credit to the hobbyist and I have nothing but great reports from both camps.

Owen - When I have done Tony's Sinbad (PI-X4), I'll give you a call and you can see it "first hand" - and anyone else who wants to see a Pascal board !...

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
I've never played Asteroid Annie Nick, so definitely up for that!

And thanks also Nino, The PI-X4 sounds pretty amazing... gotta see it!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »
Hey Nino, you gonna fight me over having Owen over??   :D

Looks like Annie trumped ya!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 06:47:08 PM »
I've never played Asteroid Annie Nick, so definitely up for that!

And thanks also Nino, The PI-X4 sounds pretty amazing... gotta see it!

No probs - Sinbad restore will be after the Rocky is finished.. Will be dome before Christmas or Tony will be very upset with me !!

So I'll PM when I'm done !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »
Hey Nino, you gonna fight me over having Owen over??   :D

Looks like Annie trumped ya!

PI-X4 should be here next week  *%*

But that's fine - Owen can see both in action, and when I have the new PI X80 for my GTB Spirit.. Well you can all come over  #*#

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »
Sounds like neither will be available to play any time soon tho... but if you don't mind Nino, I'd like to have a look at the board when it comes in.

I didn't know Pascal had done a System 80 board also?? Cool! This is more great news in the pinball world!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »
But that's fine - Owen can see both in action, and when I have the new PI X80 for my GTB Spirit.. Well you can all come over  #*#

Party at Ninos!!!   #*#

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »
I'm looking at doing a Joker Poker. Think after reading this feedback I might ditch the original boards and just go with one of Pascals boards.  Nice to read feedback of someone that has actually played a game with one of these boards.