Author Topic: New keyboard happyness  (Read 1532 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
New keyboard happyness
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »
 :D

Well its sometimes the little things which puts a smile on your face (other than beating Marco's high scores on any pin)...

I treated myself to a new keyboard as a late xmas present.

For those who have been using computers since the 8086 / 8088 days, you would appreciate the quality of keyboards back then (and how long they lasted).

Well, I splashed out on a DAS keyboard Pro (4) (MX blue)...Not cheap, but OMG.  Best keyboard ever.

It weighs (no joke) around 2.5kg and is so solid and has that wonderful click of each keystroke.....  Ahh the memories....

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: New keyboard happyness
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:48:19 PM »
The simple joys of tactile feedback.

The ancient Beehive and Wyse terminals had the best keyboards. They even had the "noise" which would be a distraction in today's modern office environment.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »
Its funny you mention this cause last night I seriously had a dream about how everything old was better than new and much easier to operate.
The dream included computer stuff (hate the new windows version - it's just crap) and the dream invl cars and telephones etc etc.
At 45 years of age, I miss the old days as well. Sure something's are better today, but nothing is built to last.
I can totally relate to your keyboard purchase because the new ones weigh nothing and the keys stop working within 12 months.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:17:33 PM »
I've been hanging onto an old IBM keyboard since I can't remember. ..at the office we need to replace the keyboards more often than the boxes coz the letters disappear within months.

As for 8.1, useless for businesses,  at home I've added a shell program that makes it look like w7.  Works well and actually a very stable OS.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline guyricho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:58:49 PM »
I've been hanging onto an old IBM keyboard since I can't remember. ..at the office we need to replace the keyboards more often than the boxes coz the letters disappear within months.

As for 8.1, useless for businesses,  at home I've added a shell program that makes it look like w7.  Works well and actually a very stable OS.

oh I miss Vista

The calculator pisses me off the most with 8.1
Why cant the calculator hover over your window that is open like the old windows calculator? makes it useless for business work.
It doesnt even have an X to close it
you have go through a whole series of moves to close the stupid app  ^.^

The only program that is better is the new Paint.

what is this shell if you dont mind me asking?

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »
The simple joys of tactile feedback.

The ancient Beehive and Wyse terminals had the best keyboards. They even had the "noise" which would be a distraction in today's modern office environment.
what I see these days where most of the staff are too involved in their facebook on the phone or have ipod speakers in the ears, you could attach a sub woofer to a keyboard and they won't notice.

Dunno how people I could have run over with those stupid ipods because they're not watching the road.

But yes I do miss some of the old stuff but then again, I remember my parents saying the same stuff and shaking my head. Looks like, Marty, we're getting old and crusty too make.  %.%
Still loving my Metallica Premium