Author Topic: Howdy & after The Shadow  (Read 3664 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Howdy & after The Shadow
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »
Hi all,
Have always loved pinny's (don't we all) but new to wanting to start a home collection & after much looking around would like to start with The Shadow. If anyone has a very good to excellent example they'd be willing to part with please give a shout out. I'm on Central Coast NSW but wld consider freighting depending on costs.
Cheers, Andrew.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Howdy & after The Shadow
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »
 $.$

Welcome to Aussie Pinball.

Once you have 20 posts, you will have access to the trading sections. Not sure if there are any The Shadows listed though.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
G'day
Good luck with your search

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:02:15 PM »
 %)%

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the welcome - much appreciated. The Shadow is looking hard to find in decent condition. What else do people suggest - I know TZ, ToM, CV etc rate highly but the $ are just silly $7k(ish). Whitewater looks interesting & a bit more affordable - any good reports on this as a fun 1st machine? The other runner is acdc premium which can be had new or near new for similar $ as a very good tz - but such mixed reviews. I've played it - liked it - but just not sure how long the fun factor would last with it (& not a metallica fan so that's ruled out no matter how good it is). Cheers for any opinions!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:07:32 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
At the moment, most games can be hard to find
I have sometimes waited two years for the right game, in the right condition, at the right price, to appear

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »
Yep - I'm astounded how little is around & the prices being asked for (what I think is) close to trash. Any of the cool Bally's from the 90s seem really hard to source in great shape. Economics I guess (and all the middle-agers wanting them for the man cave).

The other thing is (from my VERY limited experience) we kind of miss out on the great restorations that r done in Europe & the US (eg. beautifully restored Shadow playfields professionally sprayed with many thin coats of poly). Here it's a bit of cleaning of the metal trim with a harsh polish & a few rubbers changed & the machine is called "shopped" (whatever that means). I'm sure there are some good techs around though - you just have to know who. !@#
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:26:51 PM by andypinboy »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »
Yep - I'm astounded how little is around & the prices being asked for (what I think is) close to trash. Any of the cool Bally's from the 90s seem really hard to source in great shape. Economics I guess (and all the middle-agers wanting them for the man cave).

The other thing is (from my VERY limited experience) we kind of miss out on the great restorations that r done in Europe & the US (eg. beautifully restored Shadow playfields professionally sprayed with many thin coats of poly). Here it's a bit of cleaning of the metal trim with a harsh polish & a few rubbers changed & the machine is called "shopped" (whatever that means). I'm sure there are some good techs around though - you just have to know who. !@#

There are plenty around - you just need to look. The prices are steep, so you need to look at either buying from a collector or privately in some cases. Regarding the prices - eBay is just a shopfront for over priced machines - those prices should not be used a s guide. Sounds like you are looking for a High End or restored game rather than a container pin with a quick clean and rushed on to the floor ?

Check out the "Restorations" section of this site. you will the the differences between the eBay junk and professional work and hobbyists.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »

Actually with Strangeways & El_timbo86 -  US & Europe are missing out on the quality that the Aussies are turning out - Happy Australia (Pin) Day!

Check out for example - El_timbo86 http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=12999.msg165972#msg165972 & Strangeways http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=11892.0

El_timbo86 clearcoating is superb. I have had several playfields done, for example http://www.pinsbytim.com.au/photos/index.php?/category/61. Tim did my Pinball Magic NOS playfield at the same time, and that game is now with a local mate, played to within an inch of its life, and the clear still shines.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:04 AM »
I know Joele has one, not sure if he wants to part with it buts its in great shape.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 02:36:27 PM »
Hehe - thanks infinite - had just checked with Joele & he's not ready - yet  &&

Others - thanks for the links - some amazingly skilled work going on right here!!
Comment retracted re Australia - especially given the day  ^&^

Pinniesforme - do you mind if I ask the ballpark price of a playfield restore of that quality? (please let me know if the qn breaks any guidelines)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:56:13 PM by andypinboy »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:19:20 PM »

Pinniesforme - do you mind if I ask the ballpark price of a playfield restore of that quality? (please let me know if the qn breaks any guidelines)

Mine were done partly in exchange for some work I did, so I don't know the exact cost. You can contact Eltimbo via PM from his profile for some costings.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »
Yay - nice Shadow bought from forum member & happily residing at my home getting much use. My first pinny at home so I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.

Btw - anyone know where good pinball machine covers can be purchased?

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Re:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:55:00 AM »
Happy it worked out for you.
Not sure about the covers. There was a place in the states a mate of mine got one but it escapes me