Author Topic: Foosball Table Info sought  (Read 509 times)

Offline pict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Western Sydney
Foosball Table Info sought
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:01:22 AM »
I bought an old Foosball table from Tony a year or so ago. I had not seen anything like it (solidly built / dovetail joins) until I saw a very similar one sold on eBay recently (pics below).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300298095583&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:1123

I have now restored the table (to the extent I am happy with) and was able to source replacement men etc but I have been unable to source information as to who made these tables. How many were made and how old they are (I assume sometime in the 1970's).

Not sure if anyone knows anything about this beast, but I would like to finish off the restoration with some sort of engraved brass plate detailing some facts.

Thanks Mark

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Foosball Table Info sought
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:41:27 AM »
Great to see that table again!

The only light I could share is that had Alex Strallis (spelling?) operators sticker on it. He was one of the big operators in the Illawarra during the 1960s and 1970s. He sadly passed away about 2 years ago.

I can remember playing this table (or one just like it) at the Bulli kiosk in the early 1970s and Alex owned all the games there.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »

My Father made similar tables in the 1960's - he says he made around 14 tables. He still has all the plans and a journal describing how to make the table from scratch. The men and the handles were imported from Italy.

This is the very first table he made in 1961 or 1964 - He can't exactly recall. He restored it 10 years ago and gave it to me for two reasons ;

1 - A family heirloom - I will NEVER sell this table. No money is worth the privilege of owning this table. To watch my Son play his Grandfather on a table made before I was born is very special to me.

2- In case Dad ever wants to make more tables - he has this one to compare it to.

Here's some pictures of it post restoration;

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:03:13 PM »
That is special! Obviously your father was something of a craftsman.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
That is special! Obviously your father was something of a craftsman.

I'm very proud of my Father. He was the inspiration for me from a very young age. He built Billiard Tables, Bumper Pool tables (I have his last restoration), Mini Pool tables - even his own Video Cabinets. He migrated from Italy in 1955 with the equivalent of 20 pounds in his pocket after enduring WWII.

He taught me how to troubleshoot EMs and 1950's Bingos when I was 14 years of age. I plan on teaching my son the same thing.

Offline pict

• Forum Posts:
  • Western Sydney
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
My Father made similar tables in the 1960's - he says he made around 14 tables. He still has all the plans and a journal describing how to make the table from scratch. The men and the handles were imported from Italy.

Wow Strangeways - i'm stoked.

My table has a similar design and I know the men are imprted from Italy as they are stamped the the name 'RETA' on the base. There were about 4-6 men damaged (well headless) when I got the table and I looked all over the place to find reproductions. By luck I stumbled on a batch of them for sale.

I also admire the craftmenship of these tables and is certainly something I have no intention to sell. My issue when restoring the table was not to sand it back so far that I removed the scratched/marks made by people over the past 30 years. The only mark that can be read is a faint 'manly'. I guess someone perhaps wrote down their favorite football team - or perhaps the table once stood at one of the pubs in Manly - who knows - but if the tables could talk they could talk they would have a lot to say I bet.

I know it is a long shot but I was wondering... if I was to send you detailed pictures of the cabinet (with dimensions) you are able to determine if it was by chance one of the 14 he made.

Thanks Mark

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »
Mark,

That table was 100% from the Illawarra - as mentioned above I knew the operator Alex when he was operating these. It had his operators sticker when I bought it.

So Manly would be some young punk supporting the league team

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:07:45 PM »
Back in the 60s/70s these soccer tables were very popular - any pinball,snooker establishment had 1 or 2 tables.
We used to have chicken run tournaments at the local coffee lounge (prize - chickens of course).
When were they called Foosball tables ? Only heard of this name in the last couple of years. Would own one if I had the room.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline pict

• Forum Posts:
  • Western Sydney
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:11 PM »
Mark,

That table was 100% from the Illawarra - as mentioned above I knew the operator Alex when he was operating these. It had his operators sticker when I bought it.

So Manly would be some young punk supporting the league team

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info - I guess I am also interested in who built them. To me they seem that they were not mass produced but rather built by individuals perhaps copying similar designs.

Thanks Mark

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:48:04 PM »

Wow Strangeways - i'm stoked.

My table has a similar design and I know the men are imprted from Italy as they are stamped the the name 'RETA' on the base. There were about 4-6 men damaged (well headless) when I got the table and I looked all over the place to find reproductions. By luck I stumbled on a batch of them for sale.

I also admire the craftmenship of these tables and is certainly something I have no intention to sell. My issue when restoring the table was not to sand it back so far that I removed the scratched/marks made by people over the past 30 years. The only mark that can be read is a faint 'manly'. I guess someone perhaps wrote down their favorite football team - or perhaps the table once stood at one of the pubs in Manly - who knows - but if the tables could talk they could talk they would have a lot to say I bet.

I know it is a long shot but I was wondering... if I was to send you detailed pictures of the cabinet (with dimensions) you are able to determine if it was by chance one of the 14 he made.

Thanks Mark

Mark - The table is very similar, but it won't be one of the 14 tables, as all the tables had chrome scratchplates - not wood. However, the coin acceptor looks very similar to the ones on Dad's tables.

If you need parts for your restoration - let me know. I think that there are still balls, handles, scoring disks and men in storage.

I will ask Dad about the history of the design.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 01:19:21 AM »
Your Dads a very talented man Nino now we know where you get it from.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »

I had a long chat to Dad about these tables, with some interesting news.

Dad migrated in 1951, not 1955 (as I first thought). These tables were made in 1953 - 1955. He did make 14 tables.

Two tables were sent to Wollongong  *%*

The chrome scratchplates look like they have been removed, but the coin acceptors look to be the same. The base is definitely not original. There is one feature that might prove it 100% - If the internals are the same as mine (pictured below), then it was definitely Dads;

Dad did say that his table was copied by another operator, so it could be a copy  !@#

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »

This is the very first table he made in 1961 or 1964 - He can't exactly recall. He restored it 10 years ago and gave it to me for two reasons ;

1 - A family heirloom - I will NEVER sell this table. No money is worth the privilege of owning this table. To watch my Son play his Grandfather on a table made before I was born is very special to me.

2- In case Dad ever wants to make more tables - he has this one to compare it to.

Here's some pictures of it post restoration;

^^^

Very nice work, gives me inspiration to build myself one, always wanted a table for the shed

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »
Me to matt always wanted one but it has to be coin operated or its just not right in my shed