Author Topic: Now THIS is a car built for speed!  (Read 8157 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Now THIS is a car built for speed!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »
So were you serious when you mentioned putting your name down for one  $$( $$(

How many cars do you have mate?

Offline guyricho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »

The specs are decent for a V6, but most cashed up bogans aren't going to get within spitting distance of one of these blue bombers, let alone behind the wheel of one.

Even if they did, they would just blame their poor driver handling on the tyres.  &&

PS: Bowden has the biggest PUBLICISED car collection in Australia. Selling car care kits in exchange for entry to his shed speaks for itself.

Most top end car collectors in Australia don't act in this way and tend to stay private and avoid undue publicity.

that is true about cashed up bogans
But there are plenty of guys like J Leno and few others that are apparently fighting over the first one off the line.
It will sell nicely and its nice seeing guys like ford building pure cars designed to be driven hard.

As for Bowden, I personally think its bloody important to keep car History seen and in the open not locked up in some guys Garage.
Im not sure if you have seen his collection in person but its amazing and should be seen not hidden.

He doesn't just have bunch of exotics he has a collection of Race car history which every one can enjoy on the open days and club meetings.
He also has cars sitting all the way around Australia on loan to multiple car museums for every one to enjoy

Maybe they operate on a different set of personal values and morals up there, but most fellow car collectors I have spoken with disagree with the methods he is using. That is not to say our sheds are locked up and the cars never see the light of day. We have loaned cars to places for example like the Birdwood Motor Museum here in SA on several occasions with the only stipulation being that the owner is not mentioned in the des.c.r.i.p.tive plaque accompanying the vehicle as it serves no purpose other than gratuitous self promotion.

As for asking for money in exchange for something as simple as entry to a collection on private property - it wouldn't even be considered.

Imagine if that mindset were adopted by the pinball community and the reaction it would receive!

I said this about my pinball collection and I will say the same about our car collection. The door is always open to AP.

I have no problem with paying a few bucks to visit this collection.
No offence but its not a shed with a few expensive cars in it as you say.
It is a Muesuem and does need upkeep, if he had a personal collection that sat around for just him self then there is no way I would be happy to pay for some yuppy to keep his cars.
What he does is much different, the guy has restored cars he bought off guys like Dick Johnson who had to sell them so he could fund him self and his son to keep Racing .
Some of the most iconic race cars ever raced here In Australia and Bowden then returned those cars to DJR so Dick can keep them on display in his DJR Museum, he also swaps them around with others he owns when ever Dick requests him too.  (no they dont say owned by Bowden)
He also takes massive amounts of cars to Car shows and race meetings all around the country for every one to see which costs massive amounts of money and Risky to carry cars like the GT40's, Moffit race cars, DJR race cars, Brock race cars and many others which I can tell you every one who attends those car shows really appreciate seeing them in the flesh.

so bag him all you want but
you need to understand that Tens of Thousands of people see his cars every year and he travels all the way around Australia letting people see them and that costs a huge amounts of money to do and people need to pay bills.

you also need to understand the type of cars he has are very important to Australians especially those who love car racing and he shares them with people he doesnt act like he owns them.
so No I dont see the problem.

As cool as those Super cars are. Lets put it this way, if you put that Red Ferrari at a car show next to the Rock car or the Brocky Torana no one would even look at that Ferrari
so these are important cars.
unfortunately there is a Brock and a few other important Aussie race cars locked up in a collection in Vic some where that hasnt been seen for over 20 years sadly
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:48:48 PM by guyricho »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »

As cool as those Super cars are. Lets put it this way, if you put that Red Ferrari at a car show next to the Rock car or the Brocky Torana no one would even look at that Ferrari

Really? As much as I would enjoy seeing those rare ex-race vehicles, I would spend more time looking at the one with the prancing horse, as would I suspect others with a fondness for these and other exotic marques.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »
so bag him all you want but
you need to understand that Tens of Thousands of people see his cars every year and he travels all the way around Australia letting people see them and that costs a huge amounts of money to do and people need to pay bills.

I am not bagging him personally, only his methods. Most of his collection were by his own admission acquired for cents to the dollar by his old man from the racing teams back in the day. If he is doing this to make money or self promote then he is in it for the wrong reasons as it should be more about preservation. His car care kits as part of his separate business would have covered any day to day expenses without it being an additional requirement for entry. This is just milking the public for that little bit extra.

Quote:
"Dad's done well, so he's put his own money into old race cars because he saw them being wasted."

When the Bowden's started collecting, the cars were cheap and they cornered the market. Since then the prices have gone ballistic.  "We couldn't afford to do it now," Bowden says.  "People even blame us for inflating the prices of muscle cars."

Now compare the sticker price of a 1972 GT-HO Falcon at $5250AU. A Ferrari GT from the same year was $15,000AU. Average wage at the time being around the $100 mark. Not all of us are in it to try and turn a profit.  #@#

unfortunately there is a Brock and a few other important Aussie race cars locked up in a collection in Vic some where that hasnt been seen for over 20 years sadly

Obviously where that car show is being held is a crucial factor.  #@#

No doubt the cars he has collected are important to a segment of the Australian regional motor racing history but I am not sure exactly how popular they would be on a global level.

The cars he has would generate regional appeal. A Brock Torana would generate little interest or numbers through the door outside of Australia. Whereas a Ferrari is instantly recognisable and has almost universal appeal. In the same way a NASCAR museum would generate little traffic through the doors outside of the US (and most likely restricted to Southern US).

Going back to the original post, I am just glad that the Clipsal organisers are adopting this same universal approach and broadening the market interest for what has been traditionally been a much more limited consumer base. That is why the crowd numbers for Clipsal are increasing year to year and should continue to do so.

^^^

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 06:13:18 PM »
No doubt the cars he has collected are important to a segment of the Australian regional motor racing history but I am not sure exactly how popular they would be on a global level.

Well yer but we arent talking about another country here, We are talking about Bowden and his collection here in Australia.
And Australians over all are proud of our racing history and rightly so, you here the stories of the golden days of Aussie racing and its great being able to see those cars in their glory
yes he did pay nicks for some of the original cars but that era our race car drivers modified ex taxi's and ex police cars and turned them into some of the most Iconic v8 monsters of race history on tiny budgets then they were recycled when finished, and some luckily saved.

And yes you are having ago at Bowden and you dont have to buy his pack to visit his Collection, he does offer a premium pack with entry if you wish.
Ive been to his Museum on three separate occasion with my car club and we didnt have to buy a pack, we also had Dick Johnson running the tour with Bowden
and we had a fully catered day out which was bloody fantastic. He shows old race video's of the car he is showing you and made you walk out with a tonne of knowledge about those cars.

A few of the guys in our club were even building replica's of some of Dick Johnson's race cars and a GT and he allowed them to go over those with a fine tooth comb so those replicas could be as correct as possible.
Ive met the guy and he is a good genuine guy if you havent met him I think you should reserve judgement till you have

So if any one is interested it is well worth looking at his collection it is also very well worth taking the tour of Dick Johnsons collection and his speed shop at Yatala next to the drive ins.

I dont know why you keep mentioning regional? I live on the Goldcoast and V8's and Muscle cars are just as popular here as they are any where else and seeing Ferrari's and Lambo's is common enough that when a car show is held on the coast here the Brock Torana or Allen Moffet GT takes center stage over them simply due to the connection to them.

I dont know why exotic collectors always think they are above the others who collect muscle cars and Iconic race cars.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:31:50 PM by guyricho »

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »

Well yer but we arent talking about another country here, We are talking about Bowden and his collection here in Australia.

But we are talking about other countries, because you are comparing the universal appeal/recognition of a Ferrari with a Torana.  :lol

Good luck to the guy though, if he can use the public to fund his hobby then go hard man.

Dick Johnson and his company declared bankruptcy 18 months ago so obviously he has resorted to doing whatever it takes to make ends meet - even as a de facto tour guide. It just goes to prove the traditional domestic race car market is too small to rely on for long term survival and the only way to both survive and grow is to adopt a more global mindset.

EDIT for your edit: Regional = Australia.

When it comes to high end cars, people need to think globally, not just locally.

Where did I say that exotic car collectors are above muscle car collectors? Sounds a tad on the defensive side.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:47:37 PM by pinsanity »

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »

But we are talking about other countries, because you are comparing the perceived universal appeal/recognition of a Ferrari with a Torana.  :lol

Good luck to the guy though, if he can use the public to fund his hobby then go hard man.

Dick Johnson and his company declared bankruptcy 18 months ago so obviously he has resorted to doing whatever it takes to make ends meet - even as a de facto tour guide. It just goes to prove the traditional domestic race car market is too small to rely on for long term survival and the only way to both survive and grow is to adopt a more global mindset.

EDIT for your edit: Regional = Australia.

When it comes to high end cars, people need to think globally, not just locally.

Where did I say that exotic car collectors are above muscle car collectors? Sounds a tad on the defensive side.

DJR has always be run on a shoe string and is a true testament to him and his love of racing,He has always stated on tours the funds from the tours go to his race car development so I cant see the problem with that can you? he is really the last of the guys who are in it for the racing not the cash.
 but to your concern about his finances He is now hooked up with Penske who is entering this market from the USA So there wouldnt be too many Money problems for DJR now which I think he more than deserves when keeping DJR afloat

Why do people need to think of the Global appeal when deciding what car they should collect? that is not what collecting is about at all

My reference to universal appeal did at no way reference offshore appeal because I couldn't personally care less what a care is worth In dubai
 But you are silly to think that a collection like Bowdens isnt impressive or less than a collection of Ferrari and Lambo's.
What makes his collection better than most in this country is not because of what maker the cars are but more importantly because what the cars are them selves and the attachment many Australians have to such cars.

Whilst you made no direct reference to exotics over muscle cars there was few references that suggested as much which you know were on the cheeky side so we dont need to play Koi

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:24:06 PM by guyricho »

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:24:04 PM »
I thought this was a pinball forum @@*
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »
is there a ferrari pinball? *!@

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »
is there a ferrari pinball? *!@

good question so I looked
 I found this custom wedge-head conversion on Google.
Looks well done
Not sure if there was a factory Pinball with Ferrari? you would think they should have if they didn't

Regards Rich

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 07:54:57 PM »
DJR has always be run on a shoe string and is a true testament to him and his love of racing,He has always stated on tours the funds from the tours go to his race car development so I cant see the problem with that can you? he is really the last of the guys who are in it for the racing not the cash.
 but to your concern about his finances He is now hooked up with Penske who is entering this market from the USA So there wouldnt be too many Money problems for DJR now which I think he more than deserves when keeping DJR afloat

Why do people need to think of the Global appeal when deciding what car they should collect? that is not what collecting is about at all

My reference to universal appeal did at no way reference offshore appeal because I couldn't personally care less what a care is worth In dubai
 But you are silly to think that a collection like Bowdens isnt impressive or less than a collection of Ferrari and Lambo's.
What makes his collection better than most in this country is not because of what maker the cars are but more importantly because what the cars are them selves and the attachment many Australians have to such cars.

Whilst you made no direct reference to exotics over muscle cars there was few references that suggested as much which you know were on the cheeky side so we dont need to play Koi

Again, never said his collection wasn't impressive in the appropriate regional context. As to values, what emotional attachment price do you put on a Brock Torana - quite a bit for the average Australian revhead, very little for the average Dubaian. The rub lies in the fact that $1,000,000  is a fair chunk of change to part with for a car for most Australians, whereas a cashed up Dubaian typically wouldn't bat an eyelid. The universal truth holds firm in that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Without global appeal and perspective, we are going to get people who think that a Torana has the same level of universal appeal as a Ferrari which is quite frankly little more than parochialism and misplaced patriotism clouding a wider reality.

Whilst on the subject of global appeal, it is interesting that Koi carp are a prized possession in many places like Japan with prices up to $60,000 for a single specimen being the norm, whilst in Australia the local introduced carp isn't even worth harvesting for dog food.

Looks like a trip to Japan might be in order soon.  ^^^

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »
I thought this was a pinball forum @@*

It is, but it is also a general chat section.  ()

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »
cool,looks like a converted jokerpoker

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
cool,looks like a converted jokerpoker

Sky Jump  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »

Again, never said his collection wasn't impressive in the appropriate regional context. As to values, what emotional attachment price do you put on a Brock Torana - quite a bit for the average Australian revhead, very little for the average Dubaian. The rub lies in the fact that $1,000,000  is a fair chunk of change to part with for a car for most Australians, whereas a cashed up Dubaian typically wouldn't bat an eyelid. The universal truth holds firm in that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Without global appeal and perspective, we are going to get people who think that a Torana has the same level of universal appeal as a Ferrari which is quite frankly little more than parochialism and misplaced patriotism clouding a wider reality.

Whilst on the subject of global appeal, it is interesting that Koi carp are a prized possession in many places like Japan with prices up to $60,000 for a single specimen being the norm, whilst in Australia the local introduced carp isn't even worth harvesting for dog food.

Looks like a trip to Japan might be in order soon.  ^^^

No one thinks a Peter broke raced Torana is worth as much a Ferrari out side of Australia, but then again maybe because you can always sell it back to an Australian lol and there is a GTHO in Dubai? but seriously . Im not a Holden guy but i can still understand why a cashed up collector would give not only a million bucks for one but his first born.
same goes for the Rock car and so on.
I dont know if you have seen these cars up close and in person. There is something about these cars that is unreal and Australians relate to it.
They are raw and while built on a budget the engineering and modifications to the suspension and engines is fkn Awesome when they fire up they shake the earth beneath you, and you can just imagine what the son of a bitch would have felt like thundering around a race track

People should collect to what they relate too not what price a car is worth outside of the country. And you know what they generally do.

The wrong sort of collector isnt guys like Bowden, it is the guy who buys a car just because he can show off how much cash he has. thats called a wanker

I know that should not to be confused with
A guy who wants a certain expensive car and is in a position to buy the exotic because he loves it and because he is a true car guy