Author Topic: Homepin now making replacement Hankin coils - READY!  (Read 6589 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Homepin now making replacement Hankin coils - READY!
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:23:42 PM »
The replacement coils project has been fully approved by A. Hankin & Co. They will be wound on our own Homepin coil formers that we manufacture in house.

Here is the label for the first coils (subject to change):

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:21:44 PM by Homepin »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
This is great news my hankin coil collection is bare

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Great News, Mike. I have a small ox of NOS Hankin coils somewhere with the distinctive white wrapper.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
The coil wrappers arrived a couple of days ago:

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
I have an "Orbit 1" in for repair. Guess what it needs ?

ES100 coils..  *%*

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
I have an "Orbit 1" in for repair. Guess what it needs ?

ES100 coils..  *%*

The first batch will be finished this Saturday.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
First new Hankin pinball coil for 30 years.....we have started finishing them and they will be ready to ship Monday.

We haven't fitted the sleeve to this first one yet but they will be supplied with new Homepin sleeves.

The three types are shown in the second picture.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:32:17 PM by Homepin »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Congrats Mike, nice to see - sadly I no longer own a Hankin, but nice to see this former Aussie Manufacturer resurrected!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Fantastic. I have a few coils from the old days, but not the ES100 - which was the most common Hankin coil.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Bought a few second hand ones 6 months ago. These would have been much better  @.@

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Finishing the Hankin coils. There is a LOT more work in making a simple coil than is probably appreciated by most people.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
I know people say stern are charging too much for games now, but looking at homepin's ops, everything seems very labour intensive. I guess it would be great to have equipment to automate a lot of processes but not economical given the numbers. Also contracting out may enabling dealing with orgs with access to automation, you then pay for it anyway. So take away the Chinese costs advantage, pinball manufacturing and margins may not be that great??? I dunno. Do you envisage Mike once business ramps up and becomes accepted by other manufacturers, that a lot of the labour intensive stuff you have presented to us can or will be automated to achieve mass production. And being in China will that also lower costs further making pinball more affordable? Thanks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Very valid questions. The problem I face here every single day is that of volume. Suppliers simply are not interested in making or supplying smaller quantities.

Yesterdays example is T-Moulding. We are halfway through developing our new lowboy upright video game and I need 15mm black T-Moulding, nothing special (you would think)  but the 5 factories we contacted (and visited two of them) do not stock anything. It is all made to order and the minimum orders are massive.

In the end I had to pay for a die to be made (not expensive for a single colour moulding, about AU$200) but then I had to order 5000mts of product - each machine will use about 5mts so I doubt I will be reordering any time soon.

This same problem goes on with anything you want made or done - quantity, quantity, quantity.

Pinball, worst luck, is mostly lots of different parts but all in small numbers!

This is one reason we do as much as possible in-house. I got tired of having to wait for small tooling from one place every time we needed something so it was easier and much faster in the end to buy a new milling machine - that was one of the best things I have bought here.

I know people say stern are charging too much for games now, but looking at homepin's ops, everything seems very labour intensive. I guess it would be great to have equipment to automate a lot of processes but not economical given the numbers. Also contracting out may enabling dealing with orgs with access to automation, you then pay for it anyway. So take away the Chinese costs advantage, pinball manufacturing and margins may not be that great??? I dunno. Do you envisage Mike once business ramps up and becomes accepted by other manufacturers, that a lot of the labour intensive stuff you have presented to us can or will be automated to achieve mass production. And being in China will that also lower costs further making pinball more affordable? Thanks

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Here is one of our coil winding machines winding the secondary for our EL transformers but the same thing applies to wind other coils such as these Hankins:

https://youtu.be/791MhDiOLiA

After the termination of the leads and adding the diode we confirm the inductance of the coil both static (with NO iron plunger inside) and active (WITH the iron plunger inside).

You can see how much it changes between the two states and this is the most accurate test to confirm the coil has been wound correctly.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
So how many Henrys does it take before needing to change a coil?

(Geek humour :D)