Author Topic: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production  (Read 57532 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »
It's a shame because many people wanted to buy this. The assumption most had was that it had less features and so should be cheaper.. turns out not to be the case.
It will sell but much fewer than it could have.
Must admit.. its a nice bright pinny, I can see why many wanted it.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2015, 12:53:47 AM »
RRP - $6500 USD = $8500 AUD + AMD markup = $9500 - $10000 + freight to your door.

The costing discussed in this thread is incorrect.  AMD do not mark up on a US RRP.  The simple way to estimate the Aussie price is to compare the US RRP for BJM and the US RRP of Sterns last release being WWE.  There is about a $US500 price increase from WWE Pro to BJM.  So with WWE Pro listed at $A7,850 retail, BJM should retail for about $8,400.

But yes, it still dashes hopes of BJM being less than a Stern Pro.

Also note that though Stern had savings with BJM not being a licensed theme, that saving was likely less than the commission paid to Whizbang.  I expect that is what really killed the price.

What is most disappointing, is that this will not be a cheaper option for operators than a Stern Pro, such that it will not be common on location.  With the layout being simple, I hoped it would have drawn a heap of new players into the game.

A wise long term strategy could have been to sell BJM at near cost price, just to get a heap of these simple games on location.  Doing this once every three years would draw in new younger players, based on the simplicity as well as the proliferation of the machine on location. Look what happened when ACDC was introduced to Australia, with a drop in price thanks to the Aussie dollar increase.  ACDC Pro retailed at less than $6,000 - it was found everywhere, and is what resurrected pinball here.  (yes the theme helped of course).

PS
BJM is a multiplayer game.  Presumably the score reals alternate between players.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2015, 08:23:16 AM »
RRP - $6500 USD = $8500 AUD + AMD markup = $9500 - $10000 + freight to your door.

The costing discussed in this thread is incorrect.  AMD do not mark up on a US RRP.  The simple way to estimate the Aussie price is to compare the US RRP for BJM and the US RRP of Sterns last release being WWE.  There is about a $US500 price increase from WWE Pro to BJM.  So with WWE Pro listed at $A7,850 retail, BJM should retail for about $8,400.

Also note that though Stern had savings with BJM not being a licensed theme, that saving was likely less than the commission paid to Whizbang.  I expect that is what really killed the price.

What is most disappointing, is that this will not be a cheaper option for operators than a Stern Pro, such that it will not be common on location.  With the layout being simple, I hoped it would have drawn a heap of new players into the game.

A wise long term strategy could have been to sell BJM at near cost price, just to get a heap of these simple games on location.  Doing this once every three years would draw in new younger players, based on the simplicity as well as the proliferation of the machine on location. Look what happened when ACDC was introduced to Australia, with a drop in price thanks to the Aussie dollar increase.  ACDC Pro retailed at less than $6,000 - it was found everywhere, and is what resurrected pinball here.  (yes the theme helped of course).

PS
BJM is a multiplayer game.  Presumably the score reals alternate between players.

Well said that makes a ton of sence :) thats good news its a multiplayer I thought it was weird that in this day and age someone would make a single player game how boring lol didn't they make single player EMs back in the day to save costs? Unfortunately these days no matter what theme pinball in the wild is dead-if ACDC struggled to make money in Australia then nothing can-having said that some ops said ACDC did do ok :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:28:42 AM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »

The costing discussed in this thread is incorrect.  AMD do not mark up on a US RRP.  The simple way to estimate the Aussie price is to compare the US RRP for BJM and the US RRP of Sterns last release being WWE.  There is about a $US500 price increase from WWE Pro to BJM.  So with WWE Pro listed at $A7,850 retail, BJM should retail for about $8,400.

Also note that though Stern had savings with BJM not being a licensed theme, that saving was likely less than the commission paid to Whizbang.  I expect that is what really killed the price.

What is most disappointing, is that this will not be a cheaper option for operators than a Stern Pro, such that it will not be common on location.  With the layout being simple, I hoped it would have drawn a heap of new players into the game.

A wise long term strategy could have been to sell BJM at near cost price, just to get a heap of these simple games on location.  Doing this once every three years would draw in new younger players, based on the simplicity as well as the proliferation of the machine on location. Look what happened when ACDC was introduced to Australia, with a drop in price thanks to the Aussie dollar increase.  ACDC Pro retailed at less than $6,000 - it was found everywhere, and is what resurrected pinball here.  (yes the theme helped of course).

PS
BJM is a multiplayer game.  Presumably the score reals alternate between players.

we will see on AMD's price but I think you are not factoring the AUD exchange rate especially when Bruce has received his pricing information yet so hard to say it is incorrect when you are guessing just as much as I am.

$6500 US = $8360 AUD even before you factor freight costs as well import and other taxes + their (AMD) cherry on the top (which they have always put on top to cover the fluctuation in the dollar value and even did when our dollar was really good). But when the USD = AUD there was always a $1500 to $2000 on top of Stern's US RRP price for us Aussies. We all know that the US have competition between pin distributors so the price would drop $500 to if you were lucky $1000 below the RRP. We don't have the competition as it is a one distributor only so we are hit with the US RRP + freight + various taxes (which are based on invoice price + freight) + cherry.

in addition I think since Stern have retracted the official release which I reckon due to the negative backlash is that I think they will drop the price and therefore lower RRP and a lower Aus sale price. My guess the RRP will drop to $6000 USD = $8500 to $9000 for us Aussies.

I do agree with you on the non licensed fee has probably turned into a commission to Dennis and Co, but since it is a cheaper machine in parts I can't see the value in the raised RRP. as timber rails and crate would equal ramps and toys and to a degree the machine was designed & tested prior but would of had to undergo some design changes with the spike programming and voices but at least at 50% less than a regular Stern designed game. Though these are wild guesses but still something to consider.

Also pretty sure it is a one player only as Dennis stated in a Spooky interview.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:36:28 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2015, 08:44:24 AM »
The extra alleged $500 for the Whoa Nellie pinball won't do much to stop serious buyers. It will just be an extra $500 someone throws on top of the AMD finance arranged package or the credit card etc.
Some people will just write a cheque and say big deal since they will probably want to keep the machine forever.

Either way people who buy it brand new can't lose, it will just be rare and will hold its resale value high.

People are complaining about brand new in box prices when really, the price of every 2nd hand pinball from SS to DMD 1990,s stuff has doubled in price to absurd levels. If I sold my pinball collection now, I would double my money from what I paid for everything. The 2nd hand market for 90,s stuff is turned insane but people are paying it.
It makes the $7850 Brand New in Box Stern Pro prices very reasonable indeed.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »
Forgot to mention, people in the USA are receiving their Medi Evil Madness remakes from Stern so the old factory is still pumping out this title before they move.
No one has complained about the prices of those which make Whoa Nellie look very cheap !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »
Forgot to mention, people in the USA are receiving their Medi Evil Madness remakes from Stern so the old factory is still pumping out this title before they move.
No one has complained about the prices of those which make Whoa Nellie look very cheap !

different kettle of fish as MM's were hitting $16k in the US for the originals so there is a market for this machine, but it will reduce the value of the originals and the machines are made for Planetary and then on-sold to Planetary's dealers and then to the customers, Who Nellie is direct to their distributors so one piece of the pie is cut out to a degree.

for pinball t-shirts

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »
...Also pretty sure it is a one player only as Dennis stated in a Spooky interview.

Its definitely a multiplayer game.  Stern stated on in a comment on their Facebook page yesterday:
   "STERN PINBALL, INC. Actually the new Whoa Nellie is a 4 player game!!!"
   https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/photos/a.386178974243.167508.136972659243/10153146352944244/?type=1
   (see Stern response comment dated Sat 21 March 2:44am, Aus EDST?)

Also again regarding the Australian price, AMD add their margin to the Stern Wholesale price, not the US RRP.  We don't know the wholesale price, which is why it's easier to simply compare current model US RRP and Aus RRP.

Another way of estimating the Aussie RRP price is by seeing where BJM fits in to the US pro and premium prices. TWD is $US7,500 RRP for a premium and $US6,000 for a Pro.  So BJM at $US6,500 RRP would mean that BJM is priced closer to a Pro than a Premium.  So simply in Australia, BJM should be closer in price to a Pro than a Premium.

...But the magic price I was hoping for, for the sake of making it a viable cheap location pin, was that it be less than a Pro.

We are of course all speculating on price indications.  AMD will release within the week.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:40:15 AM by Brunswick Brawler »

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:44:32 AM by Brunswick Brawler »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »
here is food for the thought

WWE Pro only released 2 months ago is $1000 cheaper than Whoa Nellie - that is a price hike

These are Stern's MSRP prices:

March / 2015 / Whoa Nellie / Boutique / $6499
January / 2015 / WWE / Pro / $5495
December / 2014 / The Walking Dead / Premium / $7595
June / 2014 / Iron Man Vault / Pro / $5495
March / 2014 / Mustang / Pro / $5395
March / 2014 / Mustang / Premium / $7495
March / 2014 / Mustang / LE / $8495

for pinball t-shirts

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »
For me, it is not so much the price but the different layout to the original. Seems to be way to many " short cuts " for lack of a better word.
I have to withhold my judgement until I see more video or press releases.
One positive I like is the option of fitting legs.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »
Am I the ONLY person that thinks this is an absolute overblown / overpriced POS?

Seriously - this hobby collectively complains and complains until the cows come home for the last 5 years that Sterns Pro version of X title doesnt have this / doesnt have that , the game doesnt have many good shots ,what a rip off etc etc and picks the sh*t out of any new release down to the finest playfield detail and then debates those details for weeks/ months over and over - yet here we have basically an EM game in a shiny new box with a nice 'cool truck' on the artwork that overall looks BORING as all hell and a terrible player if you see the video and yet no one is 'complaining' about the lack of 'anything, rather just mainly carrying on about Sterns / AMD business models - sheeeeeeesh  #@#

I am truly astonished at this release of such a dud game ( at this price )
Yes I understand its a different concept and all but 10k landed or so - COME ON
Maybe at 2k - tops - MAYBE.
DW Drums rule !

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »
Am I the ONLY person that thinks this is an absolute overblown / overpriced POS?

YES!
No there is quite a few who think like you, I believe the simple things in life are often the best.
Simple like a drummer  %.%
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
I believe the simple things in life are often the best.
Simple like a drummer 

Thank you for that compliment   &&
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
different kettle of fish as MM's were hitting $16k in the US for the originals so there is a market for this machine, but it will reduce the value of the originals and the machines are made for Planetary and then on-sold to Planetary's dealers and then to the customers, Who Nellie is direct to their distributors so one piece of the pie is cut out to a degree.

swinks is spot on.  ^^^

Perception of value comes into play again with MM just like it does with the current Pro/BJM pricing debacle. Original MM's were selling for $16k and in some cases above that in the US so when a Clayton's version gets announced for half the price of course buyers are going to stampede to get their hands on one.

Looking at about 12k landed here in Aus for a Clayton's version so the chasm isn't as wide between that and a well restored original here in Aus.