Author Topic: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe  (Read 12286 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2009, 12:02:23 AM »
Dont worry peoples im NOT giving up yet *.* *.*

After having a bit of a think about the backglass problems, i've come up with a plan to save the glass, It'll involve a LOT of hours of work and planning, and i DO mean HOURS.. it will be a pretty big undertaking!!

what i have in mind to do, most of you will think im crazy for trying what i'm about to do, and maybe i am.. but i think i can make it work. Stay tuned, im not saying anymore about my plans at this stage.. i'll post the results when done!!

I swear this game will NOT be parted out *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.* *.*

Cheers ...Mitch

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
Good luck with your plan!  I have no doubt it will turn out fantastic and be of your usual high quality work!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
You will sort it out Mitch.  I ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »

Good one Mitch !

Happy to hear you have not given up on this machine. Sometimes a bit of a break can give you new ideas of how to tackle harder situations like this. Keen to see your progress at a later date.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
Thanx guys for the supportive words, you wont have to wait too long for more updates.  *.* *.*

i've been a busy boy for the last few afternoons, yes i've put my plans into action, and im happy to say its going well so far! been working on it from the time i get home from work til about 11 at night everynight this week so far.

stay tuned!!

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »
Mitch,

I can't believe you wanted to part it out at one point  *.*

Mate you must of just had enough of it at that point.

Really glad you are pushing ahead (so much for your big break  :lol) and looking forward to the excellent results that I'm sure you will achieve  ^^^

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2009, 02:07:16 AM »
Mitch,

I can't believe you wanted to part it out at one point  *.*

Mate you must of just had enough of it at that point.

Nah that wasnt me.. that was an imposter pretending to be me who said that.. thats my excuse and im sticking with it  :lol

I never really WANTED to part it out tony, was just , as you said, i'd had enough at that point, and wasnt sure what to do about the backglass, but its ALL GOOD now, as my restoration ideas for the glass are coming together, slowly but surely *%* *%*

So i now have renewed enthusiasm for the project. expect some updates within the next few days

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
Hi guys, I’ve been busy every afternoon this week after work working on this backglass, some nights til midnight!! I’ve made some good progress but first here are a few pics of how the glass looked before any work was done…

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2009, 10:24:04 PM »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2009, 10:30:17 PM »
I did make a start last weekend as I said before in a previous post, touching up some of the reds, just to get the ball rolling so to speak. Here are a few pics.. the red acrylic I used is not a bad match at all. Only slightly darker, but since I intended on redoing all of the reds, it was no big deal.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2009, 10:41:22 PM »
And here in these pics is the BAD part, that had me stumped as to what to do with this glass, and what nearly caused me to scrap the whole project. Normally I wouldn’t have been scared by this, but look at all of the fine black and purple detail in Mr Universe’s (for want of a better name for him) body, arms & legs. It was the thought of trying to replicate all of this that had me scared. Normally with flaking backglass paint I just remove it all and spray in a close matching colour. But “what the hell do I do with THIS?” I was thinking.

The thought of sitting there and hand painting in this detail just didn’t bear thinking about, but I thought to myself ‘what if I scan or get pics of this area of the glass, and repair it in photostudio and just make decals’??? well that is exactly what I ended up doing! Sure it still ended up being a monumental task, and an INSANE amount of work doing this, even on a PC rather that hand painting, but I was able to make it work.

Some of you will probably think im crazy for attempting this, and maybe I was.. spending something like 30 hours in total in front of the computer just cleaning up the images!! But hey.. what else was I going to do to remedy the situation? As far as I was concerned it was do it or scrap the game. I reckon finding a better glass would’ve been next to impossible.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
1st pic here shows the paint im using.. Holts PowerPlus auto acrylic spray paint.. same as I used on my Dracula backglass restore. the red is even the same exact colour I used on the Drac glass!

First thing I had to do was get some images of  ‘Mr Universe’ to make the adhesive decals from. I ended up taking pics with my digital camera without the flash on for the images. Then it was just a matter of spending the insane amount of hours in front of the computer, cleaning up and resizing the images. If you all think im MAD for going to these lengths to save a glass.. you’re probably right. Guilty as charged.. lol

Anyhow the pics show the decals done, and the glass cleaned off ready to have the decals applied. Of course I had to carefully check the sizing, I did this by printing test images onto plain paper, and holding the paper against the glass, and making the image smaller or larger as needed before reverse printing them onto clear A4 size adhesive. I did this til I had the image size right, about 4 or 5 attempts for each decal (I did them in three sections, one for each leg, and one for his arms and body). I haven’t done anything with his head as yet.. still making up my mind whether to redo his head or just leave it as that part isn’t that bad.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
How did you remove the red from the art mitch?  Was there a trick you used or just a trucklad of patience????