Author Topic: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe  (Read 12159 times)

Offline FirePower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: Mitch's next project.. Zaccaria Universe
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
I really like the techniques and approach you have taken here on the BG. Each of the steps is achievable by ham fisted amateurs (like me) and the attitude that you wont get perfection but will improve what you have so much is spot on.  When you finish I reckon you should post side by side pictures of before and after just to demonstrate the dramatic improvement.

Thanks for documenting and showing, it does inspire us to be a bit more bold and attempt something we might have previously thought impossible.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2009, 03:08:36 PM »
Thanks guys.

This backglass sure was a challenge for me, im pretty happy with how it turned out.. and yes the game was close to being parted out or sold at one point but im glad now that i persisted with it. At that particular time i was fed up with the problems i was having with the game, and with the backlass issues i thought i'd had enough of it. BUT... after leaving the game alone for a few days and having a good think about it, i came up with the ideas that i put into this glass. Im not aware of anyone having restored a glass in this fashion before, but im not going to say im the first to do it either.. i reckon some one out there would've HAD to have tried something similar. And i have another game coming soon that has similar backglass issues, only worse... so it'll test me out for sure!!

PLUS, in between doing this glass i managed so sort out the mechanical issues i was having with it that were pissing me off. only very minor issues with the electrics (switch adjustments) that can be dealt with after the playfield is stripped and restored and the cabinet is resprayed.

So now im pretty fired up to get the rest of the game done now..

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
Ive never seen your tecnique with priniting out just the black line but im doing one at the moment printing the whole color sections onto water slide decals which seems to be working ok but wont be anygood with light shining through it like yours

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
Ive never seen your tecnique with priniting out just the black line but im doing one at the moment printing the whole color sections onto water slide decals which seems to be working ok but wont be anygood with light shining through it like yours

Printing the colours as well would make the job simpler, i thought of doing that myself, but decided not to go that way as i had the matching red paint on hand to use. Just in case you havent already done so, before placing water slide decal on the glass it might be a good idea to seal the glass with Triple Thick first, otherwise the water might lift the surrounding paint/artwork
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:39:28 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
Awesome work Mitch  ^^^

No doubt this thread will inspire many too have a crack at their BG.

Cheers
Dave

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2009, 06:12:10 PM »
Very inspiring Mitch, I'll will be working on a few BG's in the future. Great work.
GT #*#

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »
Hey Mitch, not sure if you have seen this, came across this link on the RGB site:

http://www.seriousviewers.com/rainbow/rainbow.htm

Alan Lewis has added another chapter to backglass repair, results look good as well.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »
CABINET RESTORATION;

I’ve been busy going back n forth between the Wildfyre PF and my Zac cab restore.. well I decided on starting on the backbox first. Naturally first thing to do was do the tracings of the stenciled designs on the backbox, so I can later redo them. I wont be able to use my usual white cardboard trick on this game as the stenciled designs taper off into really fine sharp points, so I’ll probably have to mask off the designs. Im still not 100% sure how im going to do this yet, I have a couple if ideas, but I’ll worry about that when the time comes.

Next thing I did was take it out to the garage and clean it up inside and out with Nifti and cloth, then I glued all of the lifting ply in preparation for paint stripping and filling all of the huge gouges and scrapes in the timber. The last pic shows the fillers im using to do this. The auto body filler for the large areas and the Polyfilla for the smaller dings and scrapes, and the Dulux enamel undercoat I used. Im using Dulux paints throughout the repaint.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »
Okay… Fastforward several days to the undercoated backbox.

I didn’t get any pics of the repairing/wood filling stages, but basically I paint stripped the and sanded the backbox with 80 grit sandpaper before filling all of the damaged bits. I then sanded the car bog back smooth, again with 80 grit, and the polyfilla I used 120 grit, then refilling any bits I missed and sanding back again. After that I sanded the whole thing down with 120 grit paper, then 240 grit and then finally 320, before, dusting it off and giving it several coats if the Dulux undercoat.

After that had dried (next day) I sanded the undercoat with 320 grit sandpaper, then with 400 grit before spraying on the basecoat. I used an off white for the basecoat, as it matched the original hue pretty well and I think an off/antique white looks much better on these older games than a real bright white. 2nd pic shows the results.

The 3rd pic shows the paint I used, along with the silver/grey webbing paint that I used to recreate the webbing effect that this game had on it. The game actually had webbing AND dots on it, originally I wasn’t game to use the webbing paint and just added the silver dot pattern using the old toothbrush trick.. dipping the brush into the paint, holding the brush a foot or two from the cabinet and flicking the bristles with a icy pole stick or piece of plastic etc ( I ALWAYS test this first onto cardboard before going anywhere NEAR a newly painted cabinet!!).

Then I remembered I had the webbing paint that id bought years ago to do MIBS, but wasn’t game to use it as it looked too thick when I tried it onto cardboard. Well after some experimenting, I found the best way to spray it on was hit the spray nozzle with short, sharp hits with the heel of my hand, while standing back about a metre away from the cab. This allowed me to get the webbing on without being too heavy or thick.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »
Here are a couple of pics showing the webbing.. turned out pretty sweet! now I can get started on the cabinet!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »
Hi all just a quick update…

Here are the results of restoring the cabinet. All of the repair details etc, it’s a case of  “2nd verse, same as the first”!!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:05:56 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
Undercoat and basecoat pics. The basecoat pics were taken before the webbing was applied.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:15:45 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »
I still have the stenciling to do, will get a start on the backbox stenciling this weekend since its bascoat has had a full week to dry now. The cabinet I’ll let dry for about week before I attempt to stencil it. Anyway now for some pics… hope you all like so far!!

Stay tuned for the stenciling progress pics.

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
Looks really good.

Not a criticism, just an observation and curious question. Why not remove the rails before painting?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
Looks really good.

Not a criticism, just an observation and curious question. Why not remove the rails before painting?

Mainly because its a royal pain in the arse to do at the best of times!!

Though i WILL remove rails on a game if i have to for any reason, usually because it just makes it simpler when making stencils on some games.. some 70s Bally games come to mind, eg 6million$man or Silverball Mania are two that i resprayed that i removed the rails on. Oh and Stern Dracula it was necessary to remove them.