Author Topic: I would LOVE to see new old style pinball machines...STERN???  (Read 931 times)

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
I was thinking...Ok...well as Ive been playing my Black Hole and Firepower quite a bit over the last week...and playing my DMD's not much at all...
Wouldnt it be a cool...and maybe profitable idea for STERN to make some cheaper machines that dont have ramps/DMD's and deep rulesets???
I was talking to a guy at work that just came back from Melbourne and he was playing the pins at the airport...now he is about 33yrs old...Likes pins..never owned one...But he said to me how its so hard to workout what to do on all the new pins...He has played my pins a couple of times and says he loves the older ones as even though its easier to know what to do they are just as fun and just as much of a challenge..
I dont have my Stern Stingray anymore but would be AMAZING to play a new version of it...throw in some new sounds..a couple of little toys...could keep it cheaper as well and sell more for home use??
Anyway maybe Im just thinking to much...it happens..lol
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
Gottlieb tried "dumbing down" with some single level games in the 80's. Rehashes of EM games like Jacks Open and Eldorado come to mind. Then you have Williams Jackbot which is a jazzed up version of Pinbot. Also Capcom Breakshot which was a single level game.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
I was thinking...Ok...well as Ive been playing my Black Hole and Firepower quite a bit over the last week...and playing my DMD's not much at all...
Wouldnt it be a cool...and maybe profitable idea for STERN to make some cheaper machines that dont have ramps/DMD's and deep rulesets???
I was talking to a guy at work that just came back from Melbourne and he was playing the pins at the airport...now he is about 33yrs old...Likes pins..never owned one...But he said to me how its so hard to workout what to do on all the new pins...He has played my pins a couple of times and says he loves the older ones as even though its easier to know what to do they are just as fun and just as much of a challenge..

The pins I saw at Melbourne airport on Saturday were both TSPP @ $2 a pop (Virgin terminal) - didn't bother as I wasn't exactly running late plus had no change on me. They both looked pretty clean although one was obviously more dirty than the other.

I dont have my Stern Stingray anymore but would be AMAZING to play a new version of it...throw in some new sounds..a couple of little toys...could keep it cheaper as well and sell more for home use??
Anyway maybe Im just thinking to much...it happens..lol

It's probably not a bad idea, but unfortunately I don't think it will come out of Stern. They seem stuck on the course they are on, and there will be no deviation until too late.

I like both the SS and DMD pinballs; I think the SS have a more pure pinball feel to me, but I still enjoy the fun of a good DMD machine. Can't say too much about EM due to lack of experience.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Yes it would be cool to see but i also like the wow factor of the old pinballs in regards to what they did back then without all todays technology

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
All good points...and Im not saying dont make DMD's.....But there is room for older style fun..Im sure some coin would go into the doors of older style but NEW machines??
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
The artwork on the new stuff is pretty much crap compared (some exceptions) with the EM and early SS era.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Great topic, Paul - and I agree with you 100%.

DMDs are a little difficult for old school pinheads and newbies to master. They can sometimes be a little "intimidating" with all the bells and whistles, and some of the rulesets require a Rhodes Scholar to decipher. But they are value for money, and someone has to pay for the R&D !

Single playfield machines with simple designs require skills, not flashing lights and Video Modes to keep the player's attention. Strangely enough, back in the late 70's the BIG earners were simple games like KISS, Mata Hari, 6MDM, BOPP - Games with symmetrical playfields borrowing heavily from the golden Gottlieb era - just electronic.

Unfortunately, the time and effort - particularly the artist's work, does not exist anymore. Most of the artwork on Sterns looks like it was printed on a cheap inkjet. Half the fun of playing Paragon, is just to sit back and look at that great artwork while playing. No - I don't think we can ever go back to the "simpler design" - The artists and the designers are not around anymore, and the reliance on toys, gimmicks and rulesets to entice the players is too much of an influence these days. "skill shot" is not a word I would use on today's pins, but talk to just about any "old school" pinhead and they will instantly remember a "skill shot" on just about any title - Like the top target bank shot from the lower RHS flipper on a Genie..

I would LOVE a simple remake of a "Spirit of 76" - a simple game, yet loads of fun !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

I've had a few mates with old pins (Kiss etc) ask me to "pimp up" their machines, new audio, new effects, a few more flashing lights etc.
Although they love their "old pins" they're bored with them, and wanted to pace it up a bit.

No doubt a lot of older titles could be re-released with new sounds and added lights etc, but it's probably an option that stern wouldn't risk taking....
It would be nice to at least have an upgrade kit for old pins, a kind of overhaul for sound'n'lighting effects etc and maybe updated roms with better audio etc.

Someday i'll rebuild an old EM from scratch, but it will feature somewhat modern lights'n'sounds etc.

As for modern DMD games, i rarely look a the DMD during gameplay, so i'm ALWAYS missing the prompts to shoot for a certain ramp or bonus until it's too late, or i lookup at the DMD wondering why there's no ball, and it's prompting me to hit the flippers to activate such'such.....

sheesh!  :lol

MM.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
I wouldnt want to see the end of DMD games...unless they where to use LCD???But a mix of DMD and some older style games would be cool...

Ok...anyone know what the last machine ever made was that didnt have any ramps or multiball??
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Docpinball

• Forum Posts:
I think Rod hit it on the head.  Whenever a company has dumbed down they have been huge failures like the titles he lists.  It is very hard because you are right that people don't know what to do with many modern pins but as soon as you make them look plain no one wants to buy them for the cost even if a little cheaper.  Its like selling black and white TV's when you have seen color.  Some still love the romance or the retro look of the older style but not enough to make a production viable.  It is a hard one.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
That color tv is a great example Doc even if ive never seen a working black and white tv it makes sense lol

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
The reason Gottlieb went back to basics in the early 80s with game designs they had released during the 1970s was for a simple reason - they were really struggling. So to release a single level game saved money and they game didn't need to be designed from scratch as alot of that was also aready done.

Gottlieb was as a company had been sold 3 times in a few years and no money was being put in for further development. Imagine a meeting at the Gottlieb plant in 1973 and them knowing the company would go from being number one to being screwed and on it's last legs 10 years later.

Dave Gottlieb must of been turning in his grave.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I've often thought about this myself. Imagine being able to buy a new, say, Joker Poker? Imagine these games were like $2999.00 at Harvey Norman (and 20 months interest free to boot :)

Wonder if they'd sell?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
I've often thought about this myself. Imagine being able to buy a new, say, Joker Poker? Imagine these games were like $2999.00 at Harvey Norman (and 20 months interest free to boot :)

Wonder if they'd sell?

That's the big question, isn't it - are they enough pinball collectors who would buy a remake of a solid SS or DMD title to get your money back and then some.

I think the answer Stern has come to (if they've even asked the question) is No. But it would be real interesting if someone gave it a shot.