Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32759 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2015, 01:40:04 AM »
Taking a closer look at Marty's photos I can see a lot or arc ruts left by the ball. I have never seen them on any of my playfields. That clear coat is definitely defective and very soft.

Chech the arcing near the arrow insert. Looks like an ice scating ring after a busy day.

In all honesty I don't think we'll ever know if it's the clear or the ply or both. Looking through all the pics the dimples on the inserts are there but much less pronounced, so I think ply may play at least some part. Nino, I think there's general consensus your TWD playfield is beyond the norm. I've never seen a playfield that bad (I know we are calling them dimples but you do, objectively, have craters). It will be interesting to see what Stern says. They may well be upfront & say yep, that one slipped through, & here's a replacement. I hope they do.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »
When the dimples are deeper than the clear coat, as seems to be the case in some of these photos, the wood is also being dimpled!

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2015, 07:48:05 AM »
I will post in this thread rather than clutter up the KISS thread

People, you need to understand that Cavey worships Gary Stern, Stern Pinball and ever designer they employ. Nothing you say will change his opinion

Nino, yes that TWD playfield has issues, but I think they are being magnified as it is Greg's game

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »

People, you need to understand that Cavey worships Gary Stern, Stern Pinball and ever designer they employ. Nothing you say will change his opinion

Nino, yes that TWD playfield has issues, but I think they are being magnified as it is Greg's game

Possibly, but the two other TWD pins I've seen have had over 10 times the play and look nothing like the surface of the moon. This game needs to be cleaned and go to it's new home, but it is not presentable. Many KISS fans are looking at buying their first NIB KISS, and when I show them TWD LE as an example of what to expect, they ask about the playfield. So the assumption that it is "normal" will simply cost Stern sales. I have two KISS fans waiting on the outcome of the warranty claim, so it is in stern's / AMD's best interests to look after customers. This is a real test for Stern.

I've had my clearcoat expert look over the game and his view is that the clearcoat appears to be a "mist coat" and then ONE "very thin coat". So technically, I know the problem is a wafer thin clear. Not acceptable to the logical thinker that forks out $12,000.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »

You are right with the 2nd sentence Pete, & my experience has been so much more enjoyable with him on ignore. I cant recommend it highly enough. However, when a number of us are wondering about the Stern playfields, then saying something about how they never wear doesn't help other members (yes, sigh, I can still see it when somebody quotes him).  I'm far far from expert & not in the trade so I need information from others to help me decide if I should buy a 2nd playfield. Nino's TWD playfield looks bad, really bad, so I'm also interested to see if Stern does what I think is the right thing in this situation. I could be the next customer with the same issue. Important thread for AP members who wish to discuss the issue openly.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:40:37 AM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »

I think the best thing to do is to assume that opinions are often based on personal preference or prejudice, and do not necessarily reflect the facts. They are not the best evidence, although of course sometimes useful.

On the other hand, Strangeways has carried out some actual tests, and is not here to convince others of an opinion, but to show us the evidence of the damage and of his test results and Stern's response to the issues.

Strangeways is an expert and has consulted experts, so debating that the damage can't exist is really not the way forward.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »
For anyone who is interested the Kiss pinball at Timezone now has a few small dimples appearing mid playfield to the left. Too small to photograph.

I can't remember who mention that their ACDC actually smoothed out over time but there could be something in that. If you check out the Ironman next to Kiss at Timezone it looks fairly smooth, almost like all the dimples have joined together and other than needing a clean it plays quite nice.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »
For anyone who is interested the Kiss pinball at Timezone now has a few small dimples appearing mid playfield to the left. Too small to photograph.

I can't remember who mention that their ACDC actually smoothed out over time but there could be something in that. If you check out the Ironman next to Kiss at Timezone it looks fairly smooth, almost like all the dimples have joined together and other than needing a clean it plays quite nice.

... lots of small dimples fixing itself over time, sounds like the clearcoat is soft.  Nino's issue sound like its to thin.  I think there are two things at play here, as Nino suggests.  Nino's TWD sounds like it had a production problem - somebody probably forgot to apply the second coat to it!

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2015, 10:04:57 PM »
Sorry guys but this thing about the dimples ironing themselves out as a solution is as good as waiting for wife's tits to sag enough so the wrinkles on her face disappear. Simply ridiculous
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:16 PM »
Sorry guys but this thing about the dimples ironing themselves out as a solution is as good as waiting for wife's tits to sag enough so the wrinkles on her face disappear. Simply ridiculous

I do like the analogy though...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2015, 10:33:39 PM »

You are right with the 2nd sentence Pete, & my experience has been so much more enjoyable with him on ignore. I cant recommend it highly enough. However, when a number of us are wondering about the Stern playfields, then saying something about how they never wear doesn't help other members (yes, sigh, I can still see it when somebody quotes him).  I'm far far from expert & not in the trade so I need information from others to help me decide if I should buy a 2nd playfield. Nino's TWD playfield looks bad, really bad, so I'm also interested to see if Stern does what I think is the right thing in this situation. I could be the next customer with the same issue. Important thread for AP members who wish to discuss the issue openly.

Stop being nasty and spiteful and grow up.
Keep your discriminatory personal opinions to yourself.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2015, 10:40:52 PM »

You are completely correct Pete.
Isn't it nice we live in a democracy and we are all free to worship or like anyone we want.
I agree some Stern playfields of late have dimples and it is a problem for some owners.
That's why I said before people should ask Stern for advice on this technical issue.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:36 PM »

I do like the analogy though...

Almost Shakespearean   *%*  - but easier to understand.

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »

Best analogy ever.......... @@* @@* @@*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2015, 11:43:58 PM »

I concur - I don't buy the dimples will level out over time. That's just shoving the problem under the carpet with a lame excuse. Try telling that to prospective customers that want to see how a NIB game presents itself after 100 games.

I've passed on the photos to Joe, who will pass them on to AMD. I will now contact Stern directly. I think there will be a favorable outcome. I can't purchase a second KISS LE playfield at this point in time as Stern allocate a percentage of playfields for warranty claims. Once that period has expired, I will order one.

Just to keep this in context and perspective. I was ALWAYS going to buy a second KISS LE playfield to be sent to HRP for a clearcoat. I'm not buying a second KISS LE playfield due to TWD LE issues.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia