Author Topic: HRP Playfield Clearcoating Service...  (Read 4848 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP Playfield Clearcoating Service...
« on: June 08, 2015, 07:49:28 PM »
There has been a bit of talk lately regarding topcoats and durability on Stern playfields - some positive, some negative.
I think that cleaning and maintaining a waxed playfield would go a long way to ensuring that the playfield finish lasts as long as reasonably possible.

A number of AP members have also used the HRP clear coating service as a way to help protect their playfields. I usually dont comment on costings, but there were a few figures thrown around on another thread which were way off the mark for a NEW/REPRO playfield refinish and clear coat. The figures may not have been related to HRP directly but even still i feel this may be valuable information for people considering a premium clear coat as a way to protect their playfield.

The following job was brought in by a local collector - a spare Stern would have been nice for this case, but we have a repro Funhouse for this example.

As received...

They look nice new dont they...

So the first step in our process is to evaluate what we have - dont get me wrong, im not complaining about the playfields, they are an AWESOME option for collectors looking for an upgrade to their original, often blown out playfield - but we are trying to improve these in every way - even new mass produced ones.

The shooter lane is pretty blonde, the Williams/Bally examples tend to have a darker tone to them so we will add that here...

The clearcoat on the reproductions these days is pretty thick as well - but the problem is they arent sanded flat, de-nibbed and polished out. It simply wouldnt be economically viable for them to do this for every playfield so we will address this. This photo shows the wavy appearance in the centre red clock insert...

Other things like the black bordering is split on the lower clear insert. Again, for a production run this would be acceptable but its easy to get it corrected here on a case-by-case basis...

The playfield is cleaned, and much of the factory topcoat is removed during the prep stage...

At this stage we also smooth up the shooter lanes, they can come in a little jagged at times - again understandable but we can rectify this so its nice and slick...

Shooter lanes are toned up at this point too...

Subtle but does make it look a little nicer with the contrast...

Bordering is corrected and ready to clear...

In the booth, cleaned thoroughly and ready to go...

Cleared in this picture. Common question we always receive is 'how many coats of clear do you put on'. People read the walkthroughs and how-to's on this topic and come up with some strange processes and expectations on clear build. Automotive paint is designed to be measured in micron thicknesses - not millimeters. We refer to our clear applications as 'booth sessions'. This particular playfield, and most repro/NOS refinished playfields we do are only in the booth once. How many 'clear coats' that equates to (re Online tutorials) well we cant answer that as each painter is different, some will put it on pretty hot while others will build up their finish gradually...

Details of the above. The clear starts to flow out and level nicely on its own in the right temp/conditions...

Playfield has been left to cure and we can move to the next stage...

If there are any dust particles that settle on the playfield, which happens - we de-nib them. You can see one here...

And here - but its a bit hard to make out in the photo...

De-nibbed the playfield and it is sanded flat, ready to polish out...

You can see the playfield is dull and lifeless before its polished...

Playfield is polished back to a high gloss, and ready to detail...

Details...

These wire brushes are used to clean the cutters out of the openings. There isnt HEAPS, but its a pain to do. A dremel is also good in bigger areas...

You want to get it as clean as possible...

Ready to wax...

Wax on...

Wax off...

Photos arent great as it was quite a sunny/bright day and things look a little washed out on camera. Video may help in highlighting the finish...

The total cost of this job was $350.00. Now, this is not a QUOTE for everyone's spare playfields. There have been times when re-clears (like the job documented above) have been slightly less or more but this has been a rough, AVERAGE cost for this process for a while now from HRP. Things like shipping interstate and packaging are obviously not included in the price detailed above, but i hope that explains a bit of the process, and the rough costs associated with such a job.

I am trying to put a bit more up online this year, as i think its a good way to document the projects - many of which are commissioned from AP members. Thanks for your support as always  ^^^

Tim
HRP

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:06:54 PM by pinnies4me »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: HRP Playfield Clearcoating Service...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »
APR have been using Tim and Stu's playfield restoration service with fantastic results. All my customers that have asked for playfield restoration, or, for a clearcoat "upgrade" have been pleasantly surprised with the price and impressed with the quality of the end product. APR has sent several playfields and we have another 6-7 for the next batch.

It is always a good idea to ask for a quote, rather than speculate on pricing that is "out of reach" for most collectors. The reality is that it is affordable, and the finish is second to none.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:09:13 PM »

Thanks for this mate, it was starting to get rather annoying hearing "opinions" of pricing for this sort of service. I for one think it is cheap, the playfield Tim has done for me are amazing.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
Thanks for posting Tim.

I've seen Stu and your work so many times in person.  Very difficult to capture on camera but you cannot compare a factory finish to a HRP finish.   @@*

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »
Seeing those photos makes me want to eat the playfield.  Its looks like candy to a pinhead!  I can't resist it - I NEED it! ^&^

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
Awesome finish and a great price to for all the work put in :) thanks for sharing. 

Peter.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 09:01:22 PM »
You mean it's not $2000  $$(   He, just kidding, great info Tim & beautiful work as always.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

Thanks for this mate, it was starting to get rather annoying hearing "opinions" of pricing for this sort of service. I for one think it is cheap, the playfield Tim has done for me are amazing.

+1 HRP have done a number of playfields for me and each turned out amazing, easily cleaner and crisper than original. I don't know where some of the speculative pricing was coming from but it was far from my experiance. Pricing has always been very reasonable considering the results.
Each to there own and any repo playfield is sure to be an improvement but after having a HRP clears playfield for me a HRP clear is now must for any of my new playfields.

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
Looks stunning & thanks for the detailed input

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:20 PM »
I think it is good that you did this thread because your pricing is much much better than the pricing I was quoted by two other companies. If your pricing is $350 to even $500 then it's half of what myself and a few friends were quoted in QLD. It shows me that the quotes I got were from people who must have been acting as a middle man and out scourcing the work and placing a massive profit on top.

I hope you get a lot of work from people who were being massively overcharged in QLD by two local companies.

I am glad u did this thread.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:50:17 PM »
Very informative and a good yardstick for members to use.

End result is amazing.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 12:10:41 AM »
Tim do you have any photos handy to post of the Metallica playfield you did for me?  Tim's cost was more than reasonable and the result is staggering when you put it alongside the original.  Honestly, if you have the chance to get something like a repro or replacement playfield cleared by HRP you will not be disappointed.
Addicted to pins.

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 09:07:55 AM »
Thanks to all for the above comments - im glad this information has helped a few people and its great to read the feedback  @@*

Tim do you have any photos handy to post of the Metallica playfield you did for me?  Tim's cost was more than reasonable and the result is staggering when you put it alongside the original.  Honestly, if you have the chance to get something like a repro or replacement playfield cleared by HRP you will not be disappointed.

YES! That would actually be a great example - and i cant believe i didnt think of that  @@^ I will document that one here in a few days  @@*

Offline Tank01

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »
That finish is amazing Tim. Thanks for the price est too. Was under the impression that it was much more than that from a couple of conversations I have had. Definitely puts it in the "must do" list for restoration. Would you have a rough idea on lead times for a Playfield CC upgrade?? Cheers

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 12:56:21 PM »
That finish is amazing Tim. Thanks for the price est too. Was under the impression that it was much more than that from a couple of conversations I have had. Definitely puts it in the "must do" list for restoration. Would you have a rough idea on lead times for a Playfield CC upgrade?? Cheers

No problems, for this type of service - which has very very limited repair work; from the day we actually receive the playfield its about 4 weeks in the shop.