Author Topic: Picked up a project Whirlwind Today  (Read 644 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Picked up a project Whirlwind Today
« on: June 14, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »
I saw an ad on Gumtree Thursday evening and someone was selling a project Whirlwind.  I called the guy and he mentioned he bought it a few years ago as a project but never got time to work on it so he was moving it on.  He noted that the playfield glass was broken (happened a couple of months ago - no biggie) and he felt the playfield was in bad shape and may need to be replaced.  I was the first one to call him and he was only a couple of suburbs over so I arranged to go and look at it the next day after he got home from work.

When I got there the next day it turns out he had a HEAP of people ringing.  But to his credit and his integrity he told them all that I was first to call and arrange to see it so I had first option to purchase.  Top guy!

Turns out the playfield was actually pretty good.  There was one wear spot near the right return lane where it was worn to the wood but apart from that the rest looked good.  There is the obvious wear around the outholes which is easy enough to fix and the spinning discs need new decals but other than that the playfield looks great.  There is obviously mylar on it which from my reading I shouldn't even bother considering removing from a System 11 unless I want major paint loss and lifted inserts, but I really don't think I would need to anyhow.  All the inserts are flat and apart from a bit of crazing on a few of them they look fine.

The cabinet needs some work and I would probably end up going the whole hog and putting decals on if I fix the cabinet up.  Ramps look fine but I will probably buy replacements and all the other plastics (except for slingshots) appear to be ok.  Importantly it fired up when I turned it on but couldn't play a game as there is glass EVERYWHERE!!!  I also didn't even bother trying to go through the test mode as glass was probably blocking switches etc.  I couldn't see anything too bad with my quick look at the boards either. There was a remote battery holder which probably would have saved the boards from inevitable leakage given he had it sitting there for a few years.

I went and picked the game up today and Perth is such a small place it turns out my son and his daughter are in the same class at school. 

Anyhow, lots of stuff for me to replace and clean etc etc, but should be a fun project.  I just gotta finish off my first one. These are just some quick pics I snapped.  I will  post better ones when I get around to starting the restoration. 

Oh yeah I paid $400 for it.

Offline Dimsims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Re: Picked up a project Whirlwind Today
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
Great find  :D

Was the topper there ?

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
Nice pick up, can't go wrong at that price. Enjoy!

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 04:24:17 PM »
Great find  :D

Was the topper there ?

Yeah the topper is there but its seen better days so I might splurge for a new cover for it.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »
great find

Offline McKie1

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
Definitely a fun game :)

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 05:30:23 PM »
Well done. That is a great buy

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »
What a great story ! Well done on finding a bargain. This game will keep you busy for a while.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »
Wow - some sellers want three times that for just the cabinet, no legs, no backbox  :lol.  Cheap project & very cool seller. Not many good sellers around now - I once made an offer on a pin, guy accepted, called next day before coming to pick it up & he'd sold it. Should have seen his face when I gave him my business card & told him we had a contract & I was coming after him for breach of contract. Priceless.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »
Great bargain and good to hear seller kept his word on giving you 1st crack  #*#
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 08:41:25 PM »
Way to go Dude, such an awesome Pat Lawlor game.
Another European container pin to make pretty. You've definitely caught the bug like the rest of us freaks.
A fellow Perth man, Andy
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »
Nice one... ^^^

it should come up really nice .....

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
Good to hear that the seller stuck to his word.

Lately there has been an insatiable demand for well priced projects, that is for sure.   #@#

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 10:18:54 PM »

Lately there has been an insatiable demand for well priced projects, that is for sure.   #@#

Does that mean you might have a few little treasures available soon?  <..>

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »
$400 what a bargin!
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.