Author Topic: Sydney's Luna Park Coney Island  (Read 2966 times)

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
Sydney's Luna Park Coney Island
« on: May 01, 2009, 09:34:36 AM »
Tony mentioned that he went to Luna Park a few weeks back.
I was there recently and picked up this brochure on Coney Island.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Sydney's Luna Park Coney Island
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »
Any chance of a higher res picture? Maybe send it to one of the mods for upload?

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
Seen me a PM with an address. I picked up a handfull of them and I'll send you one.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »
Have been back 3 times since it originally closed in the late 70s - everytime I'm back there head to Coney Island and just look around and think what it was.

Might have alot of the original art (restored), the Turkey Trot, the mirrors, the slides etc. but the games - they are all gone.

There are still about 12 old 'penny arcade' games from that time still there and I took pix and was planning to post them here...one day.

It also strikes me as being so small compared to what it was like when I was 13. When I was there a month ago with my 13 year old daughter and her friends I kept looking at them (not saying anything) and thinking....one generation and this is what has happened....they didn't give a flying f*ck about what that place represented, the 80 years of history. When I was Amber's age I wanted to spend the entire day in Coney Island, briefly coming out for air to ride the Big Dipper. Then straight back in to play all the pinball machines and EM arcade games.

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:20:08 PM »
How funny was the 'Joy Wheel' ? kids flying off everywhere :lol
It wasn't in Coney Island but I used to love 'The Rotor' , man that was fun .Stuck to the wall , the floor dropped away, great fun.
 The only bad thing was when it slowed down you used to slide down the wall & get a 'wedgey'.
just as funny was when my mate spewed after it stopped when the floor was raising us back up to leave the ride. :lol
Those were great times.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »
THE MIGHTY MOUSE ruled before they modified the track.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
Seen me a PM with an address. I picked up a handfull of them and I'll send you one.

Thanks mate, very generous - PM sent.

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »

Thanks mate, very generous - PM sent.

In the mail!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:39:19 AM »
Thanks, looking forward to it.

While we are on the topic of Luna Park, is there any relationship between the Sydney one and the Melbourne one? Or are they completely separate entities with the same name?

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
They had no connection (as far as I know)....actually the Sydney Luna Park was originally in Adelaide and it closed after a few years. So they pulled it down and shipped it to Sydney and rebuilt it after the Harbour Bridge was completed!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
They pulled it down and moved it to sydney. F**k and people think rebuilding a pinball is a big job lol

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »
It wasn't in Coney Island but I used to love 'The Rotor' , man that was fun .Stuck to the wall , the floor dropped away, great fun.
 The only bad thing was when it slowed down you used to slide down the wall & get a 'wedgey'.
just as funny was when my mate spewed after it stopped when the floor was raising us back up to leave the ride. :lol
Those were great times.
THE ROTOR . I remember in the 70's the mini mini dress was in and the girls across from you when it slowed down 'wedgies' what a site that was &&
I also remember the guy on the opposite side from you who had to much to eat would spew up , it would would travel out about 10" out then the centrifugal force would return it straight back in his face and hair.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »
Those were great times.
THE ROTOR . I remember in the 70's the mini mini dress was in and the girls across from you when it slowed down 'wedgies' what a site that was &&
I also remember the guy on the opposite side from you who had to much to eat would spew up , it would would travel out about 10" out then the centrifugal force would return it straight back in his face and hair.

Nice Spurr you guys had heaps of fun we had the geelong show once a year and it was always raining and crap lol

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »
They had no connection (as far as I know)....actually the Sydney Luna Park was originally in Adelaide and it closed after a few years. So they pulled it down and shipped it to Sydney and rebuilt it after the Harbour Bridge was completed!
Tony - I bought a book on the history of Luna Park when I was there last. Was $15 and I think good value for the size of it. Interested in a copy?

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
  • central coast, New South Wales
  • Scrambled human circut boards
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »
A group of us used to go there in the 70's quite often to the point we had bets on who would chunder 1st. &&. When you got there you would have a pie,Daggy dog or chips then go to the end and into Coney island for  a warm up and then it was Dare or double dare-yeh gross but when you're young and indestructable!!!.It was in this stage of life I worked out I'm fine with linear rides like a roller coaster etc. but bung me in a mixmaster of any description, i.e rotor --- pie gone %.%. I think one of the above posts may have coped a splat from  me %.%. Used to love the place until the "sharps " moved in. For the younger members think Romper stomper.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:41:48 PM by jpd »