Author Topic: Urgent Advice Required  (Read 1184 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Urgent Advice Required
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »
Ok I've been thinking about this machine a lot. Great playfield, new back glass, new plastis, displays ect only real let down is the cabinet decals.
Don't know what he would say but I'm thinking of offering him $2500 and getting the cabinet redone down the track....do you thinks that's a fair price or still too high?

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
I think it is a mistake, but it is only money

We all have light headed moments

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
The problem lies with the cost for parts factor.
If I go and build a car from spare parts from the wreckers, it would cost me more than a complete working one.
Because ive built this car with spare parts does the money spent equate to a market value? The answer is no.

Its entirely up to you whether you buy or not.. it is a desirable title but the fact its still for sale tells the story regarding price.
If you can snag it at $2500 and are willing to do the cabinet yourself then I guess you haven't overspent too much... I have stencils for FP at $150 + postage. Paint will cost $100 and your labour is free. That gives you a very nice machine for under $3K.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating and a willingness to use decals instead of a repaint tells me the seller likes a short cut.. chances are that this approach will be evident throughout the machine so id be going through it with a fine tooth comb before any offer is made.
Bear in mind that I bought a fully working CENTAUR with 10/10 backglass, extremely tidy cabinet and minimal wear on the PF for $2200 on Ebay... if you go to another forum ( who control pinball pricing in Australia) then they will tell you its worth over $4K and yet I know of another 5 or so centaurs that sold around the $2K mark, many of which came from Ebay.
If you are sure your heart is not ruling your head then do what you think is best... but the shine will come off your purchase shortly after the thrill of the chase ( as it always does) and IF you come to move it on, will you recoup your outlay?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 06:20:50 PM »
Your money.  Dealer pricing is always more.  I always factor in full rebuilds / overhaul of everything so as Gav suggested quite often its cheaper to buy a machine already there.

Maybe go down with $2k cash in your pocket.  Have a real good look over the machine and if boards, backglass and PF are all good then make the offer at that which allows you some room for plastics and a cab respray.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 06:30:21 PM »
Yeah good advice thanks again guys. I think Gav's point that decals suggest that corners may have been cut is very valid.
On a side note Marty I contacted Oscar and he said he is pretty sure he has one but won't be able to confirm until he gets back at the end of October. I guess I'm just getting inpatient as I've been chasing one since the start of the year.
I think I should probably wait to see what happens when Oscar gets back and if nothing happens there and the one in Brisbane is still available I will peruse that one.....good things come to those who wait I guess.
I won't hassle you guys anymore on this game sorry if I'm becoming a pain in the arse.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:32:51 PM by spacejam0 »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »
Just be a bit more patient mate. This game has not sold for a reason. It needs to be restored properly.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinballclassics

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
  • Had the Bug Since 1983!
    • Pinball Classics
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »
Hi,
Not sure if you ended up finding a firepower, just thought I would mentioned it is one of my favourite games so when we are in the US we are always on the hunt for them in any condition.

Just sold one that we had done all but the cabinet on :

http://www.pinballclassics.com.au/product.php?id=750

And have an original one here at the moment for sale :

http://www.pinballclassics.com.au/product.php?id=733

We have been doing a lot more restoration work in recent years, so we could probably create you one at any level of restoration you might like and ship it to almost anywhere in Australia.

Regards,

Jason
Jason McNally
jason@pinballclassics.com.au
www.pinballclassics.com.au

Telephone :  0416 1234 42 (7a-7p, 7 days)
THE place for People with a Passion for Pinball !

BUY – SELL – TRADE – SERVICE – PARTS - RESTORATION – GAME TRANSPORT – PRE/POST SALE INSPESCTIONS – PARTY HIRE