Author Topic: Urgent Advice Required  (Read 1183 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Urgent Advice Required
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »
Hi Guys
As some of you may know I have been chasing my new grail pin Fire Power for about 6 months now with no luck.
Anyway I check all the usual places probably 3 times a day as I don't want to miss out.
Anyway today this one showed up and I'm after on some advice from people who know a lot more about it than me on what this one is worth.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rowville/collectables/firepower-pinball/1089457675

I contacted and spoke to the guy today and he seems like a nice/genuine bloke and I am going to check it out tomorrow morning.
He says the play field is original but very nice. He removed the original mylar and did a couple of very small touch ups before re-mylaring and says I would have trouble spotting the touch ups. Brand new back glass cost around $800 landed. Full new plastics sets from Germany, all boards original and re worked/pinned. Cabinet has decals (not paint) should I worry about this? Three new displays in total.
To be honest I don't think its worth the asking price but I may be wrong? Was thinking I will probably make an offer if it looks as good as it sounds but would really appreciate any advice ASAP as I don't mind paying a fair price but don't want to pay too much as I have done in the past.
Thanks in advance .
Tim

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Urgent Advice Required
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
In a word..
NO

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
$3500 definitely isn't a bargain. I would think a realistic price for a good condition Firepower at the moment is $2000-2500.

Personally I wouldn't buy a game that has cabinet decals when the game originally had a stencilled cabinet. I also wouldn't want a game with a playfield that has been re-mylared, but that's just me. Have you had a look at this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIREPOWER-PINBALL-MACHINE-BY-WILLIAMS-1980-VERY-GOOD-/121567659933?hash=item1c4dff479d

Overpriced as well but could be a better game.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
not at that price

new plastic sets were made by CPR, so not that rare
decals on the cabinet would be a negative for me

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:39:05 PM »
Mayfield back glass is ok but my understanding was they were done on thin glass - anybody know more on that? All I recall from years ago was deciding against one after looking into it.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »
Yeah pass on the cabinet decals. 

I can understand a few dollars has been spent, but would have been better putting it into a cab respray or left alone.

Maybe check with Pinball Memories (Oscar) as he's O/S at the moment.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »
Thanks heaps for all the quick responses guys much appprichiated.
I sometimes rush in and act from the heart instead of the brain and it's great to be able to get some experienced unbiased third party advice another reason that this forum is such a great resource.
I think most of you would know the frustrations and eventually joy of chasing down that hard to find grail pin.
I'll still go and have a look in the morning all part of the learning curve but I'll hold off on making the offer.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 08:10:37 PM »
$3500 definitely isn't a bargain. I would think a realistic price for a good condition Firepower at the moment is $2000-2500.

Personally I wouldn't buy a game that has cabinet decals when the game originally had a stencilled cabinet. I also wouldn't want a game with a playfield that has been re-mylared, but that's just me. Have you had a look at this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIREPOWER-PINBALL-MACHINE-BY-WILLIAMS-1980-VERY-GOOD-/121567659933?hash=item1c4dff479d

Thanks for the lead. Yes I have seen this one but due to a past bad experience with this seller I will not deal with this guy.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »

Crikey! Talk about pushing the margin..

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 11:35:11 PM »
Avoid this game. Decals instead of repaint is simply horrendous !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
After taking on everyone's advice I decided to do the right thing and not waste the guys time so I rang him this morning and told him that due to the cabinet decals I had changed my mind.
Thanks again everyone you saved me from making a mistake.
Cheers
Tim

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »
.......a costly mistake.

This forum is great because many heads give a good expert insight.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
Understand the argument about decals, but couldn't you offer him less because of this and re-stencil? If it was an overlay on the pf I'd imagine that being difficult to undo.

Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
Understand the argument about decals, but couldn't you offer him less because of this and re-stencil? If it was an overlay on the pf I'd imagine that being difficult to undo.

This is a fair call.
Although I have not seen this machine other than the cabinet decals it sounds like the cleanest one I have come across so far in my search. Excellent original playfield with only a couple of minor playfield touch ups that are hard to spot, new back glass, electronics 100% new plastics ect ect.
Only problem is that after I contacted him to tell him I had changed my mind due to the cabinet he later texted me and offered me a $300 discount if that helped to get the sale.
I don't have the skills to redo the cabinet properly and it is my understanding that to have the cabinet redone is around $1000. So if you add the $1000 to the $3200 discounted price your at $4200 which is just too high for a FP IMO.
If he dropped a $1000 I would be keen but if he is saying $300 is his rock bottom I didn't really think it was worth pursuing.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »
It is not worth pursuing if the discount is $300.

An original Firepower is not worth more than $2500 in good condition - by that I mean reconditioned to a good standard. You need to be patient, as they do turn up eventually. I'd steer clear of a game that clearly needs a lot of work.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia