Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 23 - 63wizz  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 23 - 63wizz
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:05:55 AM »

Well Ian - it is your turn. My sincerest apologies that your turn must follow the hugely successful submission from Bossninja17 - but I'm sure you are up to it !

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 63wizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 23 - 63wizz
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »
This is so unfair having to follow the boss, but here goes.

1  Earliest pinball memory?

I must have led a sheltered life until I was 14 or 15 years old, because I have no memory of pinball before this age. The first time I remember seeing a pinball machine and playing one, I was hooked. A mate and I were at a shopping area and went in to a fish and chip shop, we got some chips and my mate said lets go in and have a look at the games room. Man it was love at first sight. EM pins, SS pins, Space invaders.

2. All time favourite pin? Why?

That would have to be Bally Strikes and Spares, very simple pin but I love the back glass, and I can still hear the chimes playing when you hit the start button.
This would have been the first pin I ever played. And it had these funky digital scores, it was so futuristic like nothing I had ever seen before.

3. Favourite pinball manufacture?

For me this would be Bally, late 70s early 80s era.
Loved Star Trek, Paragon, Playboy, Kiss, Mata Hari, Harlem Globe Trotters ETC.
My local arcade only had Bally games at this time (1979) the milk bar up the street a bit had some Gottlieb games but I cant remember what they were.

4. Favourite game in your collection? Why?

My recently purchased Haunted House.
I love the three level playfields, and the art work on the whole machine. And it was a bargain.

5. How long have you been collecting?

I have been collecting for a short time, only about 3 years, but have always wanted a pinball machine, just didn’t know you could buy them until I discovered Ebay.

6. First game and how did you find it?

First pinball machine I owned was a Mr & Mrs Pacman by Bally 1982.
I found it on Ebay.
One day while cruising ebay for things I typed in pinball and from then on checked evert day and bid on a couple until I finally won Pacman.

7. Do you still have it?

No I sold it a few months ago so I could buy project machines.

8. What are you currently working on?

My current project is my Haunted House restore which is progressing slowly due to time. Check out my HH restore thread.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=311.0

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?

1978 Bally Strikes & Spares is the only game I want, the rest I will take it as it comes.

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?

Haunted House, I bought this game none working, it didn’t take much to get it going.
Basically it was a fuse blown, but it needed a bit of work to get the lower PF working again, the original owner played it for years without the lower PF installed, he didn’t know what he was missing only playing half a game.

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!

None, missed a few on ebay in the early days but I was after anything to get a start in this hobby, so they were not worst ever misses.

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought

None so far

13. Describe your collection

At this stage I only have 3 machines.
The Flintstones – good fun family machine.
Dolly Parton – bought as a project machine, and is a fun machine.
Haunted House – fantastic machine.

14. Describe your gamesroom

Double garage under the house, pinballs share this space with two cars washing machine, clothes dryer, freezer and a couple of bicycles.

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?

I have a one arm bandit (1968) Bally Liberty Bell that I have owned for 20 years.

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

I think the home market will build with the availability of so many spare parts.
New pinball machine prices are out of the reach of the average jo blow, so spare parts  are very important to keep old machines up and running.

Cheers Ian.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »

Good One Ian. If I recall, the Haunted house was sourced after playing an AD in the local paper ? Fantastic machine.

Strikes and Spares is a great "art" package, but not much of a player - but I find that I'm in the minority with my opinion !

$#$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
Good read Ian
                        Strikes and sparess seem to be a popular one thats for sure

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »

Good One Ian. If I recall, the Haunted house was sourced after playing an AD in the local paper ? Fantastic machine.

Strikes and Spares is a great "art" package, but not much of a player - but I find that I'm in the minority with my opinion !

$#$

thats correct Nino and for a Bargain price  #@#

I dont know why  but Strikes and Spares just does it for me  &&

cheers Ian

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
Thanks for the read mate! especially after having to follow Bossninja  $#$. I havent played strikes and spares but ypu gotta love EM's and early SS.

Nice One!

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »
Nice read Ian, thanks for sharing

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 09:04:35 PM »

$#$

thats correct Nino and for a Bargain price  #@#

Ian
Well done! Yep, the bossninja set a cracking pace but you have met the challenge!
Strikes and Spares - when I first saw that backglass I jumped straight into my Gemini and drove to the St Leonard's bowling alley. I thought if chicks like that bowl, then join me up (this was before I met the future Mrs Bossninja).
Unfortunately the bowling alley had been knocked down and become an office block.

Best thing about the Sunday questionnaire are the stories and the memories each brings back to the reader.

I dont know why  but Strikes and Spares just does it for me  &&

cheers Ian
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
Its those massive tits i think.  An she looks to have great ball controll also lol &&

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
Ian
Do many pins come up for sale in Tassie? The pics I posted on Pins in Tassie were photos I took staying in a caravan park somewhere in Tassie. I wonder if these pins were ever sold off or ended up being dumped?
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
Ian
Do many pins come up for sale in Tassie? The pics I posted on Pins in Tassie were photos I took staying in a caravan park somewhere in Tassie. I wonder if these pins were ever sold off or ended up being dumped?

they were probably dumped, no pins ever come up for sale up north were i am.

cheers Ian

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Guess what's on ebay at the moment??!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Strikes-and-Spares-Pinball-Machine_W0QQitemZ110382547017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item110382547017&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Firstly thanks a million for posting Ian....you kept the ball rolling so to speak and I really enjoyed reading your answers.

That Strikes and Spares is about 15 minutes South from my place and 5 minutes from where I work, so if there is anything I can help with please let me know.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Well done, an enjoyable read. Everyone has a different story and it is great to be able to hear them all.

Good luck with hunting down the Strikes and Spares; as suggested MarkC does have one up for auction at the moment but timing can be everything.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Good read, and goodluck tracking down a Strikes and Spares. It has one of the best BGs ever made, that and a Pinball Pool sitting together would make me horny.
 :lol