Author Topic: Miss Annabelle - New Pinball to the collection  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Miss Annabelle - New Pinball to the collection
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:53:33 PM »
The thing I love the most about pinball is that every pinball machine has a story. Whether it is a proto game, or changed hands with other collectors - there's always a unique story. Here is the story about a game I acquired 3 months ago.

First a bit of background - As most of you know, my Father was either the first, or one of the first Operators in Australia. He was importing games in the 50's. Recently, I found some old manifests and sales listings from 70's suppliers in the USA. I found a really strange set of documents on what appears to be very thin paper - almost a "wafer". There were many of these papers, which were manifests of imports that clearly were LCL imports (pinball containers didn't start until the late 60's).. On one of the VERY faint papers (I can't scan or copy it - it can't be read easily), there's a listing of pinballs, Jukeboxes and Bingos. On this shipment, there was ;

Miss Annabelle
Rocket Ship
Picnic
Sittin' Pretty
Universe
Sunshine

The Rocket Ship is currently at a collector's house in St Kilda. He purchased a large amount of Bally Bingo's, Juke boxes and woodrails from my Father around the same time as an operator bought a lot of the pinballs. this was somewhere in the mid - late 60's. I tried to buy back the Rocket Ship - as it was definite part of this shipment AND he knew my Dad really well.  He refused as he knew it was one of the first, if not "the first" pinball in the country..The seed was already in my head. I WANTED a Woodrail - and it had to be either THAT Rocket Ship, or "anyone's" Rocket ship. Recently, that opportunity almost occurred, but the planets didn't align..

Fast forward to 3 months ago. Chris Pyrgolios (Pinball medic) was picking up another parts order and invited me to have a look at some EMs had had purchased from an operator. I went over and had a look and behold, there was a woodrail - and upon further inspection - it was a Gottlieb "Miss Annabelle". It had it schematics, original score card and it looked really nice for an original game. I looked at the schematics and once I unfolded them, I was immediately taken aback. It had my father's distinctive hand writing on the schematics. I checked the circuit, and it was a "mod" to the coin mech - a very similar mod he did to the Bally Bingos. THIS game MIGHT be part of the original manifest ?

So I bought the game. I now have a woodrail. I checked the schematics over and over - it HAD to be part of this original shipment. Checking the transformer - it had telltale signs of Dad's handiwork - it had the same 240 Volt ceramic fitting on the power cable. I'm 95% sure THIS is part of the original shipment. This could be a piece of Australian Pinball History.

I called Gav (resident woodrail expert) and I could not contain myself. The game needs work, and might not be a "Rocket Ship" or "Mermaid" - but i don't care. I may be able to restore this game (after I've finished the massive backlog) for my own collection.

Here are the pictures ;

It needs work - and it will have to wait. BUT - I own a woodrail and I'm sure it IS part of the original shipment..

There will be a resto thread in.. um.. 2065 ?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re: Miss Annabelle - New Pinball to the collection
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:03:09 PM »
mmmmmm wood rails, very jealous. I will have to suffice with WNBJM.  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:21:54 AM »
Great story and glad you finally got a woodrail.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Congrats on the find
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »

What an amazing find mate!

The handwriting would seem to me to be pretty good evidence of it's origin, together with the mods etc. In the end, who can say otherwise? An "expert"???   If so, you can make the decision that is it or isn't, there are no better experts than you on this topic and game history!

Far as I can see, it *is* that game.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline StuartT

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
Congratulations on the new addition.
Amazing find and story.
That pinnie's providence is heart warming and hard to better.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »
Great find Nino, enjoy!

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 03:02:28 AM »
Nice find , Great looking game   
Interesting .Looks like quite a modern flipper layout for a early game,
The backbox animation is a great feature imo..
That's a game that could tell a few good stories and would of heard so much swearing. F.....
  Revolutionary Scoring System  *%* on the flyers from the game. These are from IPDB...
One-Ball!

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 09:58:12 PM »
Sometimes the chase is better than the acquisition. Guess that's why we are called 'collectors.'
Great story and hope the price was more that of a professional favour. Let us know what your dad thinks of it!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »
mmmmmm wood rails, very jealous. I will have to suffice with WNBJM.  ^^^

I think every collection should have at least an EM. Even for the historical significance, that artwork alone for that period is worth having one game. Surf Champ has that awesome Gordon Morison trademark style. Just look at Spirit of 76 and Strange World. I will still hunt down a Rocket Ship and Sittin' Pretty to sit with my three Bally Bingos from the 50s.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia