Author Topic: Interlock switch  (Read 698 times)

Offline felixthadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Interlock switch
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »
I have removed the Interlock switch from my TZ machine but when I go into the Solenoid Test menu, the coils fire as though the Interlock switch is still connected. Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the Interlock switch cuts power to the coils when the coin door is open to prevent accidental short circuits or zaps. If the Interlock switch is removed, shouldn't power to the coils be cut permanently?  !@#

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Interlock switch
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Not really, on the Dirty Harry you can still do all the solenoid tests with the coin door open. This is after the interlock message comes up on the DMD on opening the coin door.

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 11:20:54 PM »
Not really, on the Dirty Harry you can still do all the solenoid tests with the coin door open. This is after the interlock message comes up on the DMD on opening the coin door.

So what is the purpose of the Interlock switch then?  !@#

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:27:43 AM »

So what is the purpose of the Interlock switch then?  !@#

Matthew

I never read the interlock message closely but it is possible mine is disabled and that's what the message says. In which case it is irrelevant, but yeah, the interlock switch is meant to disable the machine until pressed in. Too cold to go and check now - I can check tomorrow.

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:45:38 AM »
Make sure the interlock switch isnt sticking......I have seen many that dont release properly as they are kept in the "closed state" most of the time.

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Make sure the interlock switch isnt sticking......I have seen many that dont release properly as they are kept in the "closed state" most of the time.

Hi Dave,

I have disconnected the Interlock switch completely (the 2 wires are currently not connected to anything) so I would have expected all power to the coils to be cut, but there is still power  ^&^

Matthew

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »
According to this web-site -> http://www.flippers.be/basics/101-interlock_switch.html, the Interlock switch was introduced "somewhere during the production run of the Twilight Zone pinball machine". Is it possible that my machine is an early production model without an Interlock circuit?  !@# I have never seen the message "Coin door is open Coils and Flashers are disabled" on the DMD when the coin door is open, and according to that same web-site, "You can also see it's installed, the difference is that now there are 2 switches left inside the cabinet that the coin door closes. Older games only had one switch.". My machine only has 1 switch  *!@

Matthew

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
Looks like a real possibility, doesn't it?

Are there any other indicators of an earlier machine you could check for?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
According to this web-site -> http://www.flippers.be/basics/101-interlock_switch.html, the Interlock switch was introduced "somewhere during the production run of the Twilight Zone pinball machine". Is it possible that my machine is an early production model without an Interlock circuit?  !@# I have never seen the message "Coin door is open Coils and Flashers are disabled" on the DMD when the coin door is open, and according to that same web-site, "You can also see it's installed, the difference is that now there are 2 switches left inside the cabinet that the coin door closes. Older games only had one switch.". My machine only has 1 switch  *!@

Matthew

That's what threw me the when you first asked about the solenoids not working. TZ should have two - but you have one. I'd say that you are correct - If you do not see the message and do not have the switch, then your machine does not have the interlock capability !

So if you put your machine on eBay - You CAN mention it is the "RARE" TZ  &&
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 09:49:41 AM »

Matthew

That's what threw me the when you first asked about the solenoids not working. TZ should have two - but you have one. I'd say that you are correct - If you do not see the message and do not have the switch, then your machine does not have the interlock capability !

What is the purpose of the switch I have in my machine then?  !@# I have disconnected it and I can't see any difference!

Matthew

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:57:26 AM »
Looks like a real possibility, doesn't it?

Are there any other indicators of an earlier machine you could check for?

The clock has the prototype decal and there is an extra hole for a post marked (but not drilled) below the pop bumpers. I think both of these were only included in early production model machines.

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »

Matthew

What is the purpose of the switch I have in my machine then?  !@# I have disconnected it and I can't see any difference!

Matthew

The door switch simply enables the coin door switches. Thats all it does !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »

Matthew

Matthew

LOL, no wonder I didn't see any difference!  %.% I think I will just connect it up again for the sake of looks, but I will have to be even more careful about poking around inside the machine now because there is no Interlock.

Matthew

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »

Matthew

Matthew

I believe that this is correct.

Your TZ was definately an early production. I was thinking that it may have been prototype at one stage as it had the original clock decal and factory playfield holes for the extra posts in the pop bumper area.
Apart from the missing interlock switch which appears factory, I recommend you still turn off from the mains when you have the playfield up as there are many other things that can be shorted.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 02:34:21 PM »
I haven't seen any TZs with an interlock switch fitted.  Must have been very late in production.