Author Topic: Gorgar tidy up  (Read 1601 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Gorgar tidy up
« on: December 17, 2015, 06:59:51 PM »
Over the next couple of weeks while I tidy up the gorgar I'm going to have a few questions that may sound pretty stupid to most of the seasoned restorers out there but please go gentle on me as this is my first tidy up.
First 4 questions
1- is it ok to use mill wax on a mylared playfield
2-what is the best method for straightening warped plastics
3-can I buy drop targets locally I have found them in th US but $30 us seems a little excessive for postage on a $10 dollar item
4- the current plastics are held on by a little rubber nut that looks like it pushes on should I order the same rubber nuts as a replacement or should I order the same plastic ones that are on my FP & Flash.
Thanks
Tim

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Gorgar tidy up
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
For your plastics, you can put them on a sheet of MDF on the parcel shelf of your car in the sun, once they heat up enough to soften, place a sheet of glass over the top of them until they cool.
The nuts are a preference thing, either will do fine

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »
Methods i have used ;

1- is it ok to use mill wax on a mylared playfield - Never used it on a playfield (mylar or not).
2-what is the best method for straightening warped plastics. Microwave using a baking tray, wax paper (think that's what it is called) and a plastic spatula. Place in microwave and low heat. I like Boot's idea better though !
3-can I buy drop targets locally I have found them in th US but $30 us seems a little excessive for postage on a $10 dollar item. RTBB will be stocking the target decals for several WMS titles next year.
4- the current plastics are held on by a little rubber nut that looks like it pushes on should I order the same rubber nuts as a replacement or should I order the same plastic ones that are on my FP & Flash. Factory are the 6/32 Nylon nuts.

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2730&osCsid=e4d05c26e0c210b086dad349709fc448
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:14:40 AM »
4- the current plastics are held on by a little rubber nut that looks like it pushes on should I order the same rubber nuts as a replacement or should I order the same plastic ones that are on my FP & Flash. Factory are the 6/32 Nylon nuts.

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2730&osCsid=e4d05c26e0c210b086dad349709fc448

They are the ones I use on all SS except Gottlieb

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 06:23:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies Boots/Nino.
Progress update is that I am all done...well the tidy up part anyway I'm going to leave the drop target rebuild, score displays and a few other minor adjustments up to a pro.
I have enjoyed tinkering on it this week. I have straightened the plastics using a hair dryer and spoon method I found online (tried the hot car method but didn't get hot enough the day i tried) , cleaned and polished the playfield, cleaned up the cabinet inside and out, painted the inside of the cabinet on the sides(in the area where you would install mirror blades) as there was timber showing and also used steel wool to remove rust from some areas including lock down bar assembly.
It has come up very nice and has been enjoyable project.Have also ordered decals, nylon nuts, rubber kits and a few other bits from action pinball in US.
Have a great Christmas everyone.
Tim

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
Gorgar's such a cool game. Love to see some pictures of the tidy up if you get a chance Spacejam.

Methods i have used ;

1- is it ok to use mill wax on a mylared playfield - Never used it on a playfield (mylar or not).

What do you generally use on your playfield's Nino? I normally use Millwax but interested to know if there are any negatives to this and if you had any recommendations for playfield care?

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »
Gorgar's such a cool game. Love to see some pictures of the tidy up if you get a chance Spacejam.

Hi Crashramp
I have to agree with you Gorgar is very cool. Think it must be the fact that I used to play it on site as a kid but it has fast become my favorite, love the speech and sound. Even with really weak flippers it is still my first choice for a game after work I cant wait till it's playing 100%.
Needs some work on the flippers, displays, a tune and a small back glass touch up and it will finished.
I found 2 small cracks in the playfield artwork one near the number 2 insert and the other near the number 20 insert in Gorgars belly not much at all and otherwise beautiful.You can see in the backglass in the guys helmet where the blue paint has flaked off should be an easy touch up. Finally the displays need some attention.
I have taken it as far as I can now just waiting for a pro to finish it off.
Here are some pics of progress to date.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:29:48 PM by spacejam0 »

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
2 more

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »
2 more

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:33:22 PM »
Great photos, that is one very nice Gorgar you have there!

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
Lucky last. I took 3 separate pics of the backglass with the same camera and for some reason it wont let me display any on here as the file is too large?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:24:14 PM by spacejam0 »

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:23:28 PM »
second last
nice machine and I find it an addictive game to play. Sometimes you don't need all those missions to complete to enjoy a game of pinball. Well done on the tidy up
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »

Methods i have used ;

What do you generally use on your playfield's Nino? I normally use Millwax but interested to know if there are any negatives to this and if you had any recommendations for playfield care?

I've never used Mills Wax. We do sell equal numbers of Mills Wax and Novus 2. I use Novus 2. For restoration work where we strip the entire playfield, we use a combination of cleaners (Nifti, Novus 2) and then we polish the playfield (Treasurecove) and then finally use paste wax.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:15 AM »
I have seen Nifti do nasty damage to inserts and raise them and fog them.
Another pin restorer up in Qld was using it & had problems with it.

IF u get all of it off it's not an issue but if it runs into a insert it can be a big problem.

Best product I clean my 50 something playfields with are Baby Bum Wipes.
Why ? They can clean the nastiest shit off and never hurt a delicate baby's skin so I know it will never hurt my playfields. Lol
Also, when the baby wipe stops turning anything other than stark white, you know the playfield n any hardware is now very clean. Sometimes simple for cleaning is best.
After using Mills Wax and the other brands of polish, I always use the baby bum wipes to get any left over polish residues because those polishes are full of petro chemicals.
They can't be good for plastic or wood regardless of what people think or what the bottle says.
Just my opinion but I find best to be safe than sorry. Playfields are too fragile to risk.
Hope the baby bum wipes help anyone who is interested.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 12:28:22 AM »
2 more

Looks excellent !
Very nice indeed.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !