Author Topic: Pinball related injuries  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Goingpinsane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wa
Pinball related injuries
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »
After a very painful, embarrassing injury I sustained while rebuilding a flipper in the shed I thought for a laugh I'd ask for everyone's worst/funniest pinball related injury.
Here's mine.
Sitting at my work bench in the shed. I've got this older type bar stool with a back rest. I leaned back a little and the whole chair snapped at the base. Throwing me flat on my back.
After I'd finished laughing at myself and considering going on a diet, my elbow started getting sore. By the end of the day was in agony. Decided to go get it checked out. Cracked ulna. Told the nurse I was playing basketball to cover the real cause.

I'd love to hear some other stories

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Pinball related injuries
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Funniest would be when a Playfield fell on me while
I was installing something inside the cabinet I was full stretch into the machine when the support screw came out and the Playfield slammed me and I couldn't get out everytime I moved I got shocked and with everything digging into my back I couldn't lift into hahahah

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:51:09 PM »
+1 aa per dsstoys
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »
When I got divorced after 17 yrs of marriage, the x tried stealing with her family my entire pinball collection so I had to move over 50 machines in one day to their new safe home. Lol

After the long long day of heavy lifting, even though I used pinball skates & lifter trolleys etc, the old lower back was real sore. The end result was a few herniated disks which aren't operable but a strong pain killer every day for the rest of my days is the answer unfortunately.

But I would rather have ALL my pins and a sore back than no sore back and no pins. Lol
I can put up with the painkiller everyday.
Playing & looking at the beautiful pinball machines all lit up makes it all go away.

Other than that, usually a non injury sport until I read this thread. Lol
Long live pinball & keeping all YOUR pinballs. Lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »
I was going to start a similar thread last year when I hurt my back from playing for to long. I have a back injury anyway and after an hour or so I start getting pins and needles in my arm and that's the sign to have a break. I ignored that kept playing and my back was real bad for the next couple of weeks.
Other than that one I have had a sore back from moving machines and two electric shocks from the underside of a playfield from touching things I shouldn't have.....I don't touch anything anymore.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 11:45:45 PM »
Mmm.. mine was when I sprayed contact cleaner inside a customers recently restored  EM game. I put the playfield down and started her up.
As soon as the first spark came, the fumes from the cleaner ignited and I had on my hands a timber bomb.
Luckily ( or not so luckily) I had left the door unlocked and instead of the explosion blowing the PF out.. it blew the door open with a gust of firey dragons breath. The door hit me square in the nuts and my groin was momentarily covered in a gaseous fire. The impact knocked me square to the floor.
My wife came rushing in wondering what the bang was thinking id killed myself on the 240V to find me rolling on the floor holding some my hot and bruised groin.

Now if you think that that isn't stupid enough.. I have to admit that ive done this twice!

Couple of years later, I was working on my 59 WMS Rocket.. had the PF up and went for the contact spray. This time I did give it some time to air out.. but it wasn't enough. First spark and I saw this ball of fire come rising out of the machine up to the ceiling where it fanned out. I was under the house at the time with the front entry door open and my wife drove her car in at that very instant.. all she saw was a big ball of fire and then me jumping up and down on the schematics that were in the machine trying to put them out.
She pissed herself laughing as I stamped out the schematics. I then spent the next hour taping them back together to find the part I needed on them was now nothing but ash. Had to delay the fix up a couple of weeks while I waited for a repro set to come through..

Don't use contact cleaner folks... tis dangerous stuff indeed!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »

I like Gavin's so far, roasted nuts have always been my favorite!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »

I like Gavin's so far, roasted nuts have always been my favorite!

+1

My story was removing several machines from an upstairs location. There were car games, pinballs, a Soccer Table and one Bally Bingo. The stairs went two levels with a short landing half way down. My Father was in his 60's at the time, and I was in my low 20's. Everything was removed except the Bingo. We removed the head and got halfway down, when I forgot about the landing and slipped. Correcting myself, without falling down the stairs, with almost the full weight of the Bingo head momentarily on one leg.. I felt a stabbing pain in my back. We finished loading, and I sat in the truck, with some discomfort. We unloaded. The following day, I could not get out of bed until i had pain killers. Even then, straightening my back was impossible. Off to the Doctors and then hospital. The result was two "mild to moderate" herniated disks (L2-L3, L3-L4), and one "mild" herniated disk (L4-S1). No surgery as they simply don't perform surgery unless you are immobile or can't use the toilet ! It took years of physio and Pilates to build up the back and now it is fine. I aggravated it in 2001 and had follow up scans. No pain killers, just anti inflammatory medication which was addictive and blocked the messages to the brain with caused the muscle spasms and then finally sciatic pain which was sudden and extremely painful. Abandoning the anti inflams, I had regular physio and excersize to build up the pelvic floor muscle and surrounding muscles. I "manage" the back and learnt how "thinking" about lifting something is the most important way of protecting the back. The brain "prepares" the muscle groups to protect the area from strain. I can lift heavy items without any issue - otherwise i would not be working in this industry. But it takes a lot of knowledge about what your back can and cannot do. Having said that, the last two episodes where my back gave me trouble was simply "coughing" and the last time was reaching across a coffee table to pick up my empty cup. But even those episodes were minor. When I was in the IT industry, it was harder due to being seated more often than standing.

I can do almost anything except contact sports, trampoline (tried it once any it ended up BAD) and bungy jumping. That's it - everything else is ok.

When it comes to lifting - I've seen some utterly stupid people that are one lift away from serious back injury. But it is amazing how the back recuperates if managed responsibly.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:55:16 PM »
Gavs cant be beaten me thinks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
Gav's is a beauty, and yours Daniel - I can see it - not fun especially the electronic shocks

Mine was, went to Sydney a few years back to pickup a Whitewater and this guys house was cool but the most insane non pinball friendly set of steps, which were narrow and spiraled around 180 degrees from bottom to top. I was leading walking backwards and tripped on a narrow step on the turn and fell on my arse on to a higher step with the pinball sitting on my legs. It took another 5 minutes to get the pinball off my legs and reach the top of the steps - lucky the other guy had the strength to hold the pin while I struggled to get up. In the end I had torn the cartilage in my knee and needed surgery.

So after that I make sure there is no insane staircases and if so they will bring the pinball to the level ground as part of the deal.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:51:05 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 01:31:38 AM »
After reading this thread & all the amazing posts, it seems to be a reoccurring situation where these heavy heavy fun pinball machines don't give many second chances before a simple mistake can last with u forever.

I understand exactly about the knee and back serious issues because these body parts, once damaged, don't ever go back to pre injury performance.

Gavs story was funny as hell & I am just glad u didn't get hurt.
It could have easily have been a lot worse.

I am hoping I don't hear about anyone else's injuries from pinball or arcade stuff but this thread is like watching a train crash, u just can't look away even though u want to. Lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 09:18:41 AM »
About six months ago i had a playfield on a TAF i was working on fall, from its tilted back position down onto my left hand trapping my fingers between the side of the cab and the side of the p/f!! I remember thinking at the instant it happened that my days as a musician would be over, expecting my fingers to be broken.

This happened at a holiday resort who own three pins that i service regularly, they are located in a second floor rec room at the resort. There was no one else in the room at the time, and i was stuck, trying to free myself for about 10 -15 minutes before one of the lady staff came up in the lift, who then called the manager up who held the pf steady while i wrenched on the side of the cab, pulling the side out enough to release my fingers. First thing i did when my hand was free was wriggle all my fingers to make sure none were broken.. i still think it was a miracle that none were broken, just had a few cuts and some swelling.

Incase anyone is wondering, yes i was able to complete the repairs before i left, though it was bloody hard replacing the switch in the swamp kicker assy that needed changing with my hand/fingers bandaged up  :D

I actually had a band gig (i'm a guitarist) booked in the next night which i was still able to do, albeit with my hand bandaged up!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:21:27 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:22:58 PM »
Gav's is a beauty, and yours Daniel - I can see it - not fun especially the electronic shocks

Yep, stories that aren't based on malicious fantasy are always entertaining and enjoyable to read.  ^^^

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »

Yep, stories that aren't based on malicious fantasy are always entertaining and enjoyable to read.  ^^^

Another nasty cheap shot post !

When will it stop MODS ?

When will it stop. Every thread, every time !

Another thread stunk up by INSANITY.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 03:30:57 AM »
I had the same injury as Mr Pinbologist , fingers slammed from falling playfield . And forever banging my scone on sharp things under the playfield whilst working on games.
I love this one though ,
 After telling this guy not to use contact cleaner , he was using it to free up a sticky flipper ,
 He was spraying and with his head in the front door , his mate fired the flipper and boom! , blew his eyebrows clean off.
And he had to put out a fire in the game paperwork stapled inside the cab.
when i saw him after his "accident"  without his eyebrows Gold!
One-Ball!