Author Topic: Jetspin Fixup  (Read 7634 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Jetspin Fixup
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
Not really a restoration of this (yet) just trying to get it going
Picked this up not going cabinet is mostly sound, could do with a re-stencil but still ok.
Someone has messed around electrically with this, so I have to sort out that stuff first then get to the actual faults.
Thanks to Tony @illawarra_steelers for helping me out with some connectors that some fool decided to cut off

Firstly the voltage select connector, cables torn off the transformer lugs and cut off the connector, lucky I was able to copy the setup from another machine

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Jetspin Fixup
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
I got the machine plugged in and of course the score motor continually runs as does the player unit, there are faults there too with wires cut off.

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »
I think I have it setup right, it appeared as the rotating arm had been removed at some stage so hopefully it's back in the right spot now.
I lined up the home position with the two switches at the back of the unit (closest to the backglass) and then set the arm so the contacts lined up with the first set of rivets after the gap, someone correct me if this is wrong.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:53:37 PM by Boots »

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:50:31 PM »
Still continually running so I am at that stage now trying to find other faults AX relay etc...
Oh and here is a pic of the cut off connnector

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
Ok so I have got the score motor and player unit to come to rest
Turns out the "O" relay had some of the switch blades out of their grooves and were jammed shut
Now if I manually activate the start relay the score motor turns and stops on the next home position
I am still not sure if the player unit is in the correct orientation
Can anyone tell me exactly what rivets should be contacted when the player unit is in the home position?

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
Hey Chris,I got some good help from these videos when helping a friend with Wild Life

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 12:07:29 AM »
Hey Chris,I got some good help from these videos when helping a friend with Wild Life

Cheers: Brettski... :)
Thanks Brett
Slowly getting there, found a few more stuck switches and I can get it to reset the score reels now for some reason it just won't start a game

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
I do envy you guys that can get their heads around EM repair, I really struggle! Good luck with this, love the artwork.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
Before going any further - do you have schematics ?

Have a read of the "start up sequence" in Clay's guide - http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start

That's a starting base. Chasing things around will lead to more problems. 90% of faults on these games are within the player unit, but you need to read up on some theory.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 09:38:43 PM »
Before going any further - do you have schematics ?

Have a read of the "start up sequence" in Clay's guide - http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start

That's a starting base. Chasing things around will lead to more problems. 90% of faults on these games are within the player unit, but you need to read up on some theory.

I am waiting for the schematics to arrive, Daniel ddstoys is helping me out with that.
I have found quite a few things and yes you are correct they do lead to more problems, whilst fixing the jammed switches on the O relay I knocked the AX relay this gave me a false positive

I now have got to the point where the score motor and player unit are not endlessly cycling, and the score reels reset when the replay button is pushed but for some reason the hold relay is not coming in and the game over relay is latched on
I am thinking there is a problem with the coin unit at this stage so tomorrow I am going to service that

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
Small update
I've been trying to work out why the hold relay wasn't latching on.
After studying the schematics I decided to trace the wires, turns out that the hold wires loops to the coin lockout and one of the wires had fallen off.
I thought it strange that it would be done like that, anyone have a reason why?
Anyway now it is resetting, and I can start a 1,2,3 or 4 player game.
No chimes yet and some of the score reels are not carrying over to the next reel when they hit 9
I also have rebuilt the coin unit, it was really gummed up but it works smoothly now

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
Hey Chris that video I shared has a bit on the score reels not going over after 9, worth checking out..

Cheers Brettski

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:07:25 PM »
Small update
I've been trying to work out why the hold relay wasn't latching on.
After studying the schematics I decided to trace the wires, turns out that the hold wires loops to the coin lockout and one of the wires had fallen off.
I thought it strange that it would be done like that, anyone have a reason why?
Anyway now it is resetting, and I can start a 1,2,3 or 4 player game.
No chimes yet and some of the score reels are not carrying over to the next reel when they hit 9
I also have rebuilt the coin unit, it was really gummed up but it works smoothly now

The hold relay is energised from the moment the machine is turned on. In the home environment, owners bypass the hold relay to eliminate the hum, and the noise it produces. They may have removed the power to the coil and adjusted the leaf switches to be NC (normally closed) - thus bypassing the need for the coil.

Next phase of testing - Test the game in one player only. Adding more players will introduce new issues and add confusion. The player unit on these games is where most of the problems will reside. So you need to test game functionality - or at least having a working 5 ball game - with 1 player only.

If you want to be cheeky - tighten all the switch stacks on the player unit. Make sure the coil and sleeve work correctly. Don't dismantle the player unit YET. It is another stepper unit, but it is a lot more complicated !

All chimes not working ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
The hold relay is energised from the moment the machine is turned on. In the home environment, owners bypass the hold relay to eliminate the hum, and the noise it produces. They may have removed the power to the coil and adjusted the leaf switches to be NC (normally closed) - thus bypassing the need for the coil.

Next phase of testing - Test the game in one player only. Adding more players will introduce new issues and add confusion. The player unit on these games is where most of the problems will reside. So you need to test game functionality - or at least having a working 5 ball game - with 1 player only.

If you want to be cheeky - tighten all the switch stacks on the player unit. Make sure the coil and sleeve work correctly. Don't dismantle the player unit YET. It is another stepper unit, but it is a lot more complicated !

All chimes not working ?

It's hard to tell what the reasoning was behind a lot of the issues on this machine, wires cut or ripped off, wires swapped around, mechs taken apart and put back together wrong.
Whoever had this before me was a real clown.
I have gone just about as far as I can for the moment with testing as I am waiting for a replacement jones plug in the mail for the playfield.
So for the moment I have started cleaning the light board and servicing and cleaning the score reels.
I have done a quick service on the player unit and it appears to be working ok for now, I had to do some work on it as it had been partially dismantled and put back together incorrect.
Just tonight I resolved hopefully the last hack where the three coin adjust plugs had been swapped around, for what reason who knows.

No chimes at all currently, I haven't really looked into this yet.

I must say that although a completely different beast to the SS and DMD's I am used to, it is satisfying to see it starting to work, the first time the score reels started up was really good.
These things are a mechanical marvel.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:32:10 PM by Boots »

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:33 PM »
Hey Chris that video I shared has a bit on the score reels not going over after 9, worth checking out..

Cheers Brettski

Thanks Brett will do