Author Topic: DISHWASHER cleaning  (Read 7851 times)

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
DISHWASHER cleaning
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »
I have recently installed part of my new kitchen and now have a dishwasher.
Got me thinking, what can I throw in a dishwasher for cleaning as far as pinball goes?

So far;
metal parts    -  Baywatch brass plated wire forms, clean but still need re-chroming, drop target assemblies,posts,anything without coils  etc.             worked well  ^^^
plastics          - still sceptical as the heat generated is pretty high and worried about warping. Flipper buttons are cool!
plastic ramps  -  would like to try this, but need others experiences. I can see this being really good even with micro switches attached  !@#
PCB's                  -  really would like to try, I would remove the IC's etc so just diodes, transistors and the like . Will try on play field light boards first, need feedback.

Any feed back appreciated before I destroy shit
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Re: DISHWASHER cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:51:59 AM »
Wash your dishes with it only Andy you idiot!  %.% Probably to hot for anything plastic to start with except for posts .
Circuit boards , you can use circuit board cleaner spray , dont ffs put them in the dishwasher  #(&
With ramps the flame method works well enough ...
One-Ball!

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:01:59 AM »
I'd be more worried that the dishwasher does not completely drain after a cycle, and then washing your dishes with contaminated water

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
plastic ramps  -  would like to try this, but need others experiences. I can see this being really good even with micro switches attached

I dont know if i'd be putting anything with a switch on it thru a dishwasher, i'd be inclined to remove them first  *%*

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
Often clean my dirty PCBs with the dishwasher. 

No switches or enclosed relays left on board and you usually lose any warranty or other stickers.
Edit: Also remove any socketed chips.
Blow out thoroughly with compressed air, especially under ICs, and allow to heat in sun for a few hours after.

Much easier to work on when clean and shiny.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:10:22 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
The hot water might melt plastics. I've never used a dishwasher to clean parts. I guess trying different methods with different parts will give you an indication.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:49:31 PM »
Cheers lads,
I have reconsidered my use of dishwasher due to what Pop Bumper Pete said.
Never thought about contamination with my normal loads. Was more worried about what I might damage as far as pinball goes, not myself!

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »
Wash your dishes with it only Andy you idiot!  %.% Probably to hot for anything plastic to start with except for posts .
Circuit boards , you can use circuit board cleaner spray , dont ffs put them in the dishwasher  #(&
With ramps the flame method works well enough ...

ROTFPMSL..  @@*

Pete has a good point regarding contamination or just the thought of your dishes mixing with old pinball grime is enough! Be different if it was just an old second handy in the workshop area just for this purpose but might be a bit of over kill there! People do use them to clean boards as Steevsee said and I have even heard of people cleaning wiring looms but be careful of the fabric insulated ones from EM's, I wouldn't try one of them! Now I think about it if I actually had a garage to setup for this stuff an old dishwasher might not be a bad idea as some you can adjust the temp which would be the consideration for plastics etc. Anyway that ain't going to happen but good tossing ideas around just the same. :) If you ever did try plastics I would test it on some old ones first ;)

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »
I think a dishwasher should be used for washing dishes. If you want to really be innovative, you could try putting parts in a net bag and hang them in the toilet like a toilet duck. The frequent flushes could eventually clean the parts but again contamination may come into play.  !@# No way plastics will melt unless you've hit the curries or chillies pretty hard the night before

You could also try this product as it may work??
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:16:18 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 09:00:21 PM »

[/quote]

ROTFPMSL..  @@*

[/quote]

%.% I just worked out what this meant  %.%

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 09:16:47 PM »
I think a dishwasher should be used for washing dishes. If you want to really be innovative, you could try putting parts in a net bag and hang them in the toilet like a toilet duck. The frequent flushes could eventually clean the parts but again contamination may come into play.  !@# No way plastics will melt unless you've hit the curries or chillies pretty hard the night before

You could also try this product as it may work??

%.%

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »
The magic of a dishwasher is really the washing powder.  Its not a detergent.  I use dishwashing power at times to clean stuff, and it works great.

Suggest just soaking the components in a bucket of warm water mixed with dishwashing power.  Careful it doesn't 'eat' the paint off the plastics - test on a sacrificial plastic.  We would all like to find out what the result is.

All the dishwasher is doing is splashing the water around and heating it.