Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 24 - Big Dog  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 24 - Big Dog
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:01:02 PM »

Mother's Day Special ! - Ironically, Peach is next week  %.%

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton

1. Earliest pinball memory?
Back to 1977  I then lived in a place in Victoria called Lorne ,It had a pinball parlor operatated a Mr Driscoll? Not sure on spelling .Played there a bit  ,but no way as much as my friends as I had a paper run to do morning and afternoon. The games I remember are Traveltime my best mate would play it for ages, a Williams baseball game(when you ran out of 20’s you went to this as it was only 10 cents) Blue Chip, wow I just can not remember any more. There was that Tank game(now that was hi tech) and some gun games (like Tony has or had)..but the one I remember most was Card Whiz, It was in the Pub when I was doing the paper run I’d stop a play her ,It had the lucky number stuck on 70 so if you didn’t look like getting a game ,tilt it on 70 and start a new game.
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
Dr who ,Love the audio sound, love the game, hate how it breaks down all the time.
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
Gottlieb EM’s  but not gottlieb in the 90’s
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why? Volley, why, it was the 1st game I bought, didn’t think to much about it except the dorky girl on backglass. But over time ,the game itself is a ripper . A game I don’t turn off till I have a good game on her. Got it in 2004, lots of people have played it, It has not stopped once.

5. How long have you been collecting?I started in 2004, I guess !  Got Volley and thought one game would be great,  how wrong was I ! Then I found bloody ebay, no hope!!!
6. First game and how did you find it?
Volley, it was in the local paper for sale, I played it, I paid for it, I loaded it, and then she changed her mind on selling it! After a ½ hour begging session I was granted permission to keep her (volley)
7. Do you still have it?Yes, and more are welcome
8. What are you currently working on?Gottlieb Abra ca dabra , I have not done much resto work on my games but looking  and meeting some guys from this site have inspired me.Getting Abra ca dabra going was a great buzz. I will clean her up, re clear coat cabinet, coat back glass, coin door ect ect.
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?Asteroid Annie and the Aliens, Good chance I will never get it, but the dream lives on, maybe one day I might get to play it.  Find me one theres a good spotters fee!
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?Well,  this is where I differ to you guys, not good at fixing them, and most,  if not all games I have,  I paid top dollar for.  I look at it this way . I bought them to play not to make money on.  But if I was in the hunt,  10 or 20 years earlier I would gladly take profits from a hobbie. So my best is Gottlieb Spin out for $500, didn’t take to much to get it going again.
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!Maybe a Asteroid Annie in the states , off ebay, but who knows! It could have been my worst.
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never boughtMaybe a Williams Gulf Stream off that well known Brisbane (shonky) dealer on ebay . 1.  the game was in a crap condition. 2. I thought I put a max bid of $980 but after placing the bid on it I realized I put $98,000 dollars on it, and guess what , I won it. Oops!!!
13. Describe your collection
Mainly systems 1 Gottliebs and gottlieb EM’s   a Dr Who and a T2  9 in total ,heats the room up just fine.
14. Describe your gamesroom
It was a down stairs tv/games room, but it’s all pinballs now, but the wife has now given it the thumbs up. We have been having pinball nights to raise money for relay for life as my wife has had a battle with breast cancer. Looks like we will raise over $1000 dollars for 4 nights and it’s been great fun.
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?Yes a T2 gun game and a one arm bandit, nothing on a pinball!

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 yearsTaking over some of my garage (a bit) and moving that stuff to a shed. Learning more about resto work and fixing to keep my games going. Hopefully going to more expo’s , and watching them get better and better and bigger and bigger and every one can contribute to it’s  success . Love to see all getting on to make this a great thing for the future. Together we stand , divided we fall!
Thank you to all that is making it happen, I havn’t a clue who it is? But THANKS.
I’m not very bright but I can lift heavy things!!!

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
 ^^^Well said Big Dog -wont be long and you wont have time to play them -you will spend all youre time restoring them.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
Here is a photo from the relay for life fund raiser nite...PINBALL AND PIZZA NIGHTS

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Great Read BIg dog i loved the arcade in lorne i did some work experience (Wagging ) Learning how to fix machines but this was during the late 90s lol.    One of the gun games wouldnt have been Chicago coins Rodeo by any chance lol

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
Man it's hard to tell from just the art,it had targets behind the glass and the EM score as per yours.Great to hear you know of that arcade , It would be great to see some pic's of it. cheers cam

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Nice read Cam - so what happened with that ebay purchase where you typed in the wrong figure?

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Good write-up, ahhhhhh a Volley! Sell it to me!
 :lol

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
That was yet another GREAT read!! Thanks for sharing Cam ^^^ ^^^

Jeez you must've near shat your strides when you realised you put a couple of extra zeroes on the bid for that Gulfstream!! Bugger... :lol :lol

Anyway thanks again for sharing your story..

Cheers.. Mitch

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Excellent read Cam and really looking forward to hooking up with you at again at Expo next Saturday!

Fantastic read and thanks for taking the time to post...most enjoyable of all the AP posts during the week.  *%*

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Sadly i dont have any photos of the place but i would love to see some i remember they had a heap of backboxes on the walls up the back left was an FJ up the back right there was close encounters and a joker poker aswell but cant remember the rest

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Great Read BIg dog i loved the arcade in lorne i did some work experience (Wagging ) Learning how to fix machines but this was during the late 90s lol.    One of the gun games wouldnt have been Chicago coins Rodeo by any chance lol

Bloody hell   @.@

You know what...I did a trade with another collector for this gun game a few years ago. Because I had total trust in him I didn't ask for pix and one of the games coming was Rodeo....guess what? The game arrived and the original backglass was long gone and there was a hand painted glass in its place. The game was then traded again and I never delt with the loser who f*cked me over ever again.

Now I'm scratching my head where this game actually went....too many trades and games over 32 years...not many brain cells left  :lol

I'm sure it went to Melbourne (or surrounds) will just have to keep thinking about this now  ()

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
Thanks heaps guys, and the Gulf Stream, well I didn't know how to retract the bid, so I watched , waited and sh%t myself,when it stoped at $980 that was plenty high enough thank you, it was going to come with no legs untill my friend complained and he dug out some rusty crappy legs. But it still goes, it lives on a farm in a  14 berth sleeping quarters,any score under 10,000 and you must scull a glass of scotch,thats the house rule!

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
Great read, Big Dog. As I've mentioned previously, I ended up with Tony's Volley. I was in contact with him to buy High Hand and when he mentioned Volley, well, the rest is history. It is a great machine.
I loved Abra Ca Dabra. Every now and then I get to travel about NSW with my work. Can I look you up when I come through Grafton? I'd be happy to make a donation towards Breast Cancer - my old mum was hit with it but fights on.
I'll be at the expo either wearing my AP shirt or my Aquarius shirt - please say hello.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Same here with the breast cancer...my 13 year old daughter dance class raised a heap of cash for the cause last year.

I know where a nice, working Abra Ca Dabra is for sale for $600  #@#

Any interest please PM me....once again must have at least 10 posts on AP