Author Topic: space invaders lock up  (Read 1101 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
space invaders lock up
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:46:32 PM »
Have had this happen pre power rectifier replacement. Installed a homepin rectifier but the problem still occurs. During attract mode and being left idle for some time (don't know how long) the score displays and pf go out and only a few lights on the backglass are locked on. You cannot start a game. The only fix is turn off and on. The problem only seems to occur when there is an extreme load on my house's power. If the game is on with only a few games, the problem doesn't seem to occur. Last night I had the photographer around for the sale of my house so all games on, all 120+ halogen downlights on and whatever else. Afetr a bout 5 mins SI died.

Any ideas? Is there some kind of power fluctuation thingy going on here and what can protect the from locking up? thanks. oh I have 3 phase power installed in my house.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:48:26 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: space invaders lock up
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:51:15 PM »
If you have to power the game off and on then the problem is fixed by resetting the CPU board. I think that you may have an issue with ROM / RAM or CPU socketed ICs. See if the game locks up / freezes when you lightly push socketed ICs on the CPU board, or jiggle the connectors on the CPU board. Is there any corrosion on the CPU board ? Check the bottom LHS connector.

When the game freezes - check the voltages at the CPU board (+5V and +12V Test points) - If they are good, then it will be the CPU board. Is is an original or after market ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: space invaders lock up
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
roger will try all of the above. cpu is original.
Still loving my Metallica Premium