Author Topic: Magnotron EM restoration  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Top Card

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Magnotron EM restoration
« on: December 05, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
I picked up this Gottlieb Magnotron last week so this will be my attempt at a full restoration. I have had a quick look through it and it is pretty good shape, especially the backglass. It lights up but does not start but hopefully this is nothing major. (It has been in storage for a while). There are a couple of broken plastics, the front door is a write off and the chime box is missing, so these are obvious replacements and I am sure I will uncover more as I go along.
Looking forward to the journey,
Dan
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:24:35 PM by Top Card »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Magnotron EM restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »
There is a new chime box available, it sounds right

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
Awesome purchase Dan. Will be following with interest. Do you have schematics etc ?

Chime Box - as Pete mentioned - you can get them as repro items overseas, or USA eBay (second hand). Maybe Daniel (DDSTOYS) has one floating around.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Top Card

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »
The schematic is somewhere between Marco and here. Hopefully closer to here.
Dan

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
Awesome purchase Dan. Will be following with interest. Do you have schematics etc ?

Chime Box - as Pete mentioned - you can get them as repro items overseas, or USA eBay (second hand). Maybe Daniel (DDSTOYS) has one floating around.

Original chime boxes seem to me to be rare as rockin' horse shit, and most people who have one or two stashed away will NOT part with them  *.* *.* well that has been MY experience anyway from two AP members who i asked on behalf of a client chasing one.

Anyway back on topic, looks like a good score, the playfield looks like it'll clean up nicely! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out  ^^^
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:36:14 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Top Card

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
Struck my first snag last night. As I said before the machine does not start. So I plugged it in, turned it on and started to have a bit of a look around. After a few seconds a relay somewhere pulled in, started buzzing, then smoking. Bother. (Turned out to be the 1st Ball Relay which was pulling in as soon as the power was applied. Not sure if this is correct operation or not. No schematic yet). Turned the machine off using the underneath switch. Then crack, pop, lots of smoke. Either the transformer or this thing (maybe a line filter ?) have died. I will not get a chance for proper look until the weekend. Disappointingly no fuse blew, either for the relay smoking or whatever else shorted.
More updates next week,
Dan

Offline greenechidna

• Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »
I got to play a Duotron (the 2 player version) at Manly Wharf in 1974 the day it was delivered....didn't get the 1st game but saw it wheeled out into the lineup and had to wait more than an hour to get a game.

Yeah Mitch, those chimeboxes are hard to part with...you just know youre going to need it eventually

Offline Top Card

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
From reading other forums and stuff it seems like removing the chime box from machines in Germany was not uncommon. I guess they did not like sounds much as the knocker had one of the wires disconnected as well. That probably means that there is (or was) a warehouse full of chime boxes somewhere in Germany.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
I did a Magnatron with my son several years ago it's still in a friends collection he loves it.

Sadly no complete chime boxes

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 02:22:25 PM »
Struck my first snag last night. As I said before the machine does not start. So I plugged it in, turned it on and started to have a bit of a look around. After a few seconds a relay somewhere pulled in, started buzzing, then smoking. Bother. (Turned out to be the 1st Ball Relay which was pulling in as soon as the power was applied. Not sure if this is correct operation or not. No schematic yet). Turned the machine off using the underneath switch. Then crack, pop, lots of smoke. Either the transformer or this thing (maybe a line filter ?) have died. I will not get a chance for proper look until the weekend. Disappointingly no fuse blew, either for the relay smoking or whatever else shorted.
More updates next week,
Dan

That silver box is the EMI Filter, and MartyJ and I watched one go up in smoke once and it was quite an experience !

You will need to replace the EMI Filter. Jaycar have a plastic version, but the version I use is a metal version from Rockby Electronics.

https://www.rockby.com.au/SearchresSql_12.cfm?Searchkey=EMI+Filter

The 10Amp version is fine.

Offline Top Card

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »
Thanks Nino. I will add it to my shopping list

Offline Top Card

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »
After a few delays I am finally ready to start work. So where should I start. Cabinet repaint, playfield repair and touchup, stepper motor and contact cleanup. Is there a known good path or is it up to each persons personal choice. All input is appreciated,

Dan

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
From reading other forums and stuff it seems like removing the chime box from machines in Germany was not uncommon. I guess they did not like sounds much as the knocker had one of the wires disconnected as well. That probably means that there is (or was) a warehouse full of chime boxes somewhere in Germany.

With Bally games they were not removed. They were never installed on the production line. The story goes that the German market was big on one armed bandits, and the law allowed for the ratio of one armed bandits to pinballs was one to one. That is, for every one armed bandit, there had to be a pinball. The pinballs were not played as much, but when they were, the clients playing the one armed bandits (gamblers) complained about the noise. So the German importer asked for them to not be installed. Germany was the hub for the European market, so many games from Europe don't have chimes for this reason.

Offline plong

• Forum Posts:
  • Castlemaine Vic
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »
You are a wealth of knowledge Nino.

Offline Top Card

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
I did some work this afternoon on the metal that surrounds the coin slots using my new grinder and sandpaper. See photo. Largely it came up really well but there is a small area where the rust has actually eaten into the metal.
Is there anything I can do about that, either with more 2000 grit sanding or other processes / products ?

Thanks and regards
Dan