Author Topic: HRP SafeCracker Chrome...  (Read 3287 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP SafeCracker Chrome...
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
Here is one of the last couple of machines we are finishing up for 2016.

This game arrived, and upon setup/unpacking I wondered why bother sending it as it looked like it had some restoration work already completed...

Certainly not in terrible condition, cabinet was solid - just faded as expected and in need of some TLC...

This was the base game as received. Its what I would probably call a 10 foot restoration... looks restored from a distance. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that - however the customer has had a number of games restored down here over the years and wanted this one to match the rest of the collection...

Things like chromed sys11 style legs, missing chrome panels on the door and terribly applied chrome/polished siderails needed to be addressed...

Playfield looks good, but very tired and warped beyond belief. I had already received the ali box section supports that rectify this issue so no dramas there...

Game powered on, a few errors mainly due to the major assemblies needing readjustment. Also a ROM  error on the AV board... Daniel...  *!@

This illustrated how tired and sensitive this playfield was. Everything had moved quite a bit...

Teardown begins...

Underside was nice and original. FILTHY - but not hacked apart like we are beginning to see much much more of...

The game had definitely been stripped and rebuilt at some point. Some bolt through hardware was loose, lots of parts incorrect for this particular unit...

I SUCK at documentation at the moment. I really need to refocus my attention to this next year as people ask me all the time what was a game like before, or need a photo to assist etc. I will get back on the photography next year but for now, skip over and this is the cabinet restored - and the playfield will be moving through at this stage too...

Decals down... I have always applied dry - but there are people who choose to apply wet. I have seen great results with both applications...

Flat...

Cabinet is being fitted out now. All the metal was plated and polished. Jeff at Railways also made the side rails to suit Safecracker. What a legend...

Coming along nicely. I try and rebuild the cabinets and power them up. Sign off on them functioning correctly then i have the playfield to blame if there are errors and bugs...

Boards in and cabinet loom wired in neatly...

Starting to come together...

Playfield is finished and ready to go together. Plenty of frustrating things on this one, but result is what i wanted and the customer will be wrapped im sure...

Few days here reassembling with new and restored parts...Starting to see the finish line. While this game is physically small... IT PACKS SO MUCH HARDWARE  !!!

This is a great feeling. Playfield is wired and dropped back into the cabinet. Ready to wire up to the boards etc and see what we have...

The back box assembly is another job in itself. This really works beautifully when rebuilt and is such a cool feature. Ready to tear down. I usually do these large assemblies seperate to the rest of the job as you can get overwhelmed very quickly. Same with the Banzai Run we did... I just left the upper playfield till i had crossed a heap of other stuff off the project.

Parts getting refinished...

Rebuilt ready to install...

Close now  $#$

Wings are attached and the other final details are fitted and installed...

I wired this neatly but what a HEADACHE!! I added a heap of molex plugs so many of the mechs and switches can be removed easily rather than soldering on and off the loom...

Compact little unit...

Last few topside details being added...

Game is thoroughly checked and tested, and the final photos are taken. I will pack it up tomorrrow and send it back to the owner...
Finished photos from here.

Merry Christmas everyone and hope everyone has a safe new year

Tim
Hot Rodded Pins  ^^^

Offline jpd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • central coast, New South Wales
  • Scrambled human circut boards
Re: HRP SafeCracker Chrome...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
Nice work (as usual) Tim. She looks stunning ^^^
Thanks for the kind words re; the new siderails.

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 08:57:04 PM »
Great work as always Tim.

I was at your seminar last week and it was great to see inside what it is you do on some of these restores.

I was the rather large bloke (and Moyra) that came in with Paul and Cathy, realised later that I did not even introduce myself......think I was a little star struck.  !@)

Love reading your threads, thanks for sharing them with us to drool over....

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
Awesome work HRP!   #*#

A very unique and fun game.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Attention to detail is amazing. Absolutely beautiful looking game, the new owner must be stoked.
 @@*

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:33:05 PM »
That sparkles  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:13 AM »
Your just begging for a beat down

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
Awesome job as always Tim  ^^^

I agree that you need to show your restoration work in sections - The Before, during and after. This will demonstrate and document the journey and members can see the amount of work that goes into these restorations as you progress. It also gives the opportunity to ask questions.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline carbonROD

• Forum Posts:
  • CANBERRA
    • PINHEADZ PINBALL PODcast
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:43:28 PM »
OUTSTANDING as always Tim. Excellent attention to detail...matching the bumper skirts to the corresponding color of the bumper caps - very, very nice!
LIKE the Pinheadz PODcast on FACEBOOK or listen at iTUNES & STITCHER now!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 09:58:28 PM »
OUTSTANDING as always Tim. Excellent attention to detail...matching the bumper skirts to the corresponding color of the bumper caps - very, very nice!
what Rod, what's wrong with those restores where the guy thinks, 'now where can I use those shit load of turquoise bumper skirts I bought on ebay?' you should have seen the colours that came with my theatre, very colourful.
Still loving my Metallica Premium