Author Topic: Gtb Card Whiz restore  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Gtb Card Whiz restore
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »
Time to start on the next one now that F-14 and Fish Tales are both done.. FT has left but i'm STILL waiting on F-14 to be picked up which was supposed to leave before Xmas  ^&^

Anyway this time up for resto is Card Whiz (the third one i've had here now) belonging to Cam, aka big dog here on AP

This one is getting the full treatment although i'm not doing the p/f resto this time, Cam has the p/f which was already in good shape, i removed the mylar and most of the parts for him and he will deal with the loose inserts, and touchups etc (which will save me some time). This one will be clear coated, which Cam will be doing himself.

Some pics of the game as received.. a good candidate for a repaint  *%*

The backglass is in good shape, with just some of the usual fading of the reds and some sponge marks.
it'll be sealed with Triple Thick.

Cabinet gutted of all parts, ready for the work to begin!!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:07:34 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gtb Card Whiz restore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
Don't see many of the Card Whiz's these days. The 4 player version "Royal Flush" is easily obtained. I love this game - so I will be following with interest. Glad to hear Cam is doing the playfield - They always need a lot of work !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
Don't see many of the Card Whiz's these days. The 4 player version "Royal Flush" is easily obtained. I love this game - so I will be following with interest. Glad to hear Cam is doing the playfield - They always need a lot of work !

He had someone lined up to do the few touchups it needed, which are now done i believe, and Cam is currently doing the clearcoating.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:37:22 AM »
Some cabinet progress pics;

I started with the front panel which was screwed up pretty badly and weak as piss.

I cut out the whole outside layer, left to right of the bottom section with a router and inlaid new ply, glued and clamped into place to repair it.

After some sanding to level it out and a bit of filler to smooth out the joins and job done!

Both inside bottom edges of the sides which always have the ply separating were removed and 12x12mm Tassie Oak strips glued and clamped into place to tidy it up.

The original shitboard (sorry.. CHIP board.. or was i right the first time LOL) back panel removed ready for a new plywood panel.

New back panel cut, and routed ready to fit into place

And clamped and screwed into place!

New corner braces cut and glued into place

A few of the corners of the cab and backbox were screwed up pretty bad so they were cut out and new timber inlaid into place rather than filling with filler.
Both back corners needed repairs in this way.

Backbox;

All of the major repairs done, cab and backbox finish sanded and first coats of primer applied.
Next job will be to fill any minor imperfections with spot putty and then sand back again for the (hopefully) final primer coats   :D

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
Nice work mate. A lot of cabinet repairs on this one!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:44:37 PM »
 ^^^
ooooohhh a sandblaster at home!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
The "before" pictures tell the story with the updates. That cabinet was in poor condition, but looks amazing after those repairs. That level of workmanship is rare to see, so I'm glad you posted the repairs, so pinheads can see how much work goes into EM restoration at this level.

Is the cabinet a cream or white base - I know you are still prepping the cabinet, but I'm curious to know if the base is cream, as all wedgeheads are (I've seen the white base on several "restorations", then the real colour is cream). I can't get to my Royal flush, but from a distance it does look more white than cream.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 12:39:54 AM »
^^^
ooooohhh a sandblaster at home!

Yeah i'd been thinking about getting one for ages, then Supercheap Auto had them on sale a month or so ago for about $169. It was the last one they had in stock, it was actually their display one they sold me so i got it even cheaper as a result.. $150 complete with a bucket of sandblasting media  #*#

I haven't used it yet though. I figured for $150 it was worth taking a chance!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:45:58 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:33 PM »
I picked up the playfield over the weekend during a pinball repair roadtrip i did to Coffs Harbour, so i thought i'd post some pics of how it turned out!

First though some pics of some of the wear that Cam took and sent me because i forgot to get pics before it left

Nothing too major, just some wear from sunken inserts and a little bit of paint loss from the mylar removal which i did before it left here;

And here is the end result!! As i said earlier in the thread i didn't do the touchups on this one. I think Cam said pretty much the whole p/f was completely repainted except for the yellow.. Turned out pretty sweet me thinks!!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »
Cabinet repairs are also completed and it has been primered, and the white basecoat applied.

Some more filling with spot putty was needed in placed to fill a few imperfections i was not happy with, the cab ended up getting filled and primed about three times before i was satisfied it was ready for the basecoat.

Final primer coat applied, ready for final sanding prior to base coat application.

White base coat completed, ready for the black speckle to be applied!

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:25:54 PM »
Nice job on the playfield restore!  What did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »
Great stuff. The cabinet's coming along really well and the playfield looks fantastic.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
Nice job on the playfield restore!  What did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Don't know what it cost as i didn't do the work, Cam had someone else he knows do the touchup/repaint work and he did the clear himself. Normally i would've done the touchup for him as i have done in the past, but i was too busy at the time and couldn't do it (was a bit disappointed i missed out on doing it actually)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
A little more progress has been made on Card Whiz;

I managed to respray a couple of bits i wasn't happy with, and get the speckle coat done before the weather turned to shit a couple of days ago  ^&^

Now i need this rain to piss off so i can continue and start the stenciling!

Its a bit hard to tell but these pics are after the speckle had been done.

Bit of a close-up  :D

Anyway i've moved onto the playfield assembly since i'm not able to do any painting thanks to the farkin' rain!

Top side is mostly done, all metal guides etc tumbled/polished and refitted, posts and rubbers fitted.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:03:41 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »
That is looking really nice. The simple art and bright colours really make it pop on these era of machibes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk