Author Topic: Speakers  (Read 597 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Speakers
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
Hi guys,

I don't know much about speakers but I have 2 games I'm working on at the moment, both of which need a new speaker in them.

Games are Bally midway Kings of Steel and Gottlieb Count-down. Both machines only have 1 x 6.5" speaker at the bottom of the cabinet. KoS is 4ohms and CD is 8 Ohms.

Question is what type of speaker should these be? I assumed it should be a full range speaker but I'm not sure? They seem to be available in 8 Ohm but I haven't had any luck finding one in 4 Ohm. I can only find in a woofer or sub woofer. Any advise on what these should be and best place to find them is appreciated, Thanks.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
Hi guys,

I don't know much about speakers but I have 2 games I'm working on at the moment, both of which need a new speaker in them.

Games are Bally midway Kings of Steel and Gottlieb Count-down. Both machines only have 1 x 6.5" speaker at the bottom of the cabinet. KoS is 4ohms and CD is 8 Ohms.

Question is what type of speaker should these be? I assumed it should be a full range speaker but I'm not sure? They seem to be available in 8 Ohm but I haven't had any luck finding one in 4 Ohm. I can only find in a woofer or sub woofer. Any advise on what these should be and best place to find them is appreciated, Thanks.

Normally an ordinary car audio coaxial 4 ohm speaker would do fine, from a quick google it looks like the LM380 amp on Countdown needs an 8ohm speaker, not sure about Kings of Steel
You can use an 8 ohm speaker instead of a 4 ohm but sometimes not the other way around as you can overload your amp.
You will have to do some more research on Countdown and system1 audio before replacing the speaker with a 4 ohm speaker

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Speakers
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
Thanks Boots.   ^^^ 

I think I'm sorted now thanks to a member who PM'ed me with one of each of the exact speakers I'm looking for.