Author Topic: HRP Elvira and the Party Monsters...  (Read 6228 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP Elvira and the Party Monsters...
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Hey guys,

If you have followed my HRP projects here over the years, you may have noticed an Elvira and the Party Monsters lurking in the background of many of the photos.
I have owned this machine since September 2011, and figured that its about time I gathered together the photos and shared a bit about the project and some of the highlights during the restoration.

I usually put up quick start to finish threads on the HRP projects but i will chip away on this one as time permits. Its also a game I love so hopefully that comes across in this information.

Enjoy!  @@*

This is the day I collected the game. I bought it from Billyxixix in Williamstown.  ^^^

Got the game off the ute and set up in my first work space. It was a tight squeeze in there at times but I had some awesome times and met lots of good people during the days when I was starting out. Some great projects were built in there as well

The game was mostly complete but honestly TRASHED. Beggars cant be choosers though, and at this time I was begging :)

The game was pretty much packed away after this initial overview. I had heaps of customer work to get through so the game got packed away until I moved to a slightly bigger shop...

I had to make a few new things for this project. The System11 style silk screen being one of them. This photo illustrates the style of warning label, and also highlights the swollen timber fibre...good fun

The teardown begins and as you can see there is plenty to deal with. Missing parts, wrong parts, broken parts... you name it. The playfield was totally shot and the plastics and ramps needed to be replaced...

lower...

Here is a good example of the starting condition of the game...

Fast forward a little,here is the playfield out of the cabinet and stripped of the hardware. I will leave things here for now and pick it up in the next post...

Thanks guys,

Timbo

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: HRP Elvira and the Party Monsters...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
Wow! Having seen this game finished I can't believe how beat it was when you got it. A true labour of love. Looking forward to the next update.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:31:33 AM »
What a piece of crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »
These are the games you don't care about condition when you acquire it, you envisage what it will look like when finished !

Glad to see you are doing one of your own games, and its great that you will be posting updates to show us the various stages of progress, and the hard work that goes into each process.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »
I was talking about Tim

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
Looking forward to the photos Tim.  I can remember playing this title many times at the Ringwood Bowling lanes.!!

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »
This is one of my favourite games in my collection. Looking forward to the next photo updates. I brought my game from Bill in Williamstown as well. It was in similar overall condition.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »
Playfield prep continues...

These playfields for whatever reason always seem to be faded and trashed. Elvira's face is super washed out along with all the fluro colours too.

To start though, playfield has its mylar removed and glue cleaned from the playfield...

Getting there now...

Another shitty thing to deal with on playfields of this era are the inserts. They nearly always fry up when the first clear goes down. We have a better process to deal with that these days, but here i removed all of the insert artwork and lettering, before the initial clear went down...

It took a while to get to this point but the playfield is in the booth and ready to clear for the first time!!...

In with a few client jobs from back in the day. Can anyone see theirs in there?...

Playfield is cleared and let to fully cure. You can see how much the initial clear sinks back into the timber grain and leaves a tightness to the finish. This is very much a sacrificial coating as most of it is removed during the next stage of the process...

While the playfield gets worked on, all the metal and associated hardware is hand polished and cleaned...

Same goes for the cabinet. It is fully stripped and restored while the playfield is being chipped away at... It was a HUGE amount of work to restore the playfield on this machine...

Cabinet ready to be stripped here along with a few other games. Back when i did this one, i chemically stripped the art from the cabinets. It was quick but messy...

Fast forward a little cabinet is painted and ready to decal... The old man came over to see how things were progressing...

Looks much better for some colour...

Lower completed...sweet

Back to the playfield, this is about half way through the process. I still had to repaint Elviras skin tone, most of the fluro and all the black keylines. In this photo it looks like i had sprayed out the purple area up the back, and the full playfield gradient that goes from red to orange to yellow. Everything was masked so these colours were super sharp and much much brighter. You can also see the insert decals were installed but needed another sand and clear AT LEAST before they were suitably level for play...

The apron fluro also faded... and the aftermarket ones are colour matched to the fade, so i hand painted the art on this apron and cleared it so it tied in well with the playfield...

After. I still needed to tighten up some of the red and keylines but looks heaps sharper...

Unfortunately at this point I basically stopped documenting the project. It really shits me, as i thoroughly enjoyed every stage, but i was buying my first house around this time with my partner, and any time i had to work on the game was in tiny little bits and pieces. An hour here, 15 minutes there. Not enough to really get a good run on.
I have a Funhouse of my own to restore one day soon, and i WILL attempt to document it FULLY! I think it would be really interesting.

Anyway... I moved the game to my home workshop to finally complete the project...

Here it is when i first moved it in...

This gives a good idea of the playfield work. You can see Elvira looks alot healthier, and the surrounding colour is much brighter and matches the new plastics etc...

Next update will be the finished photos!

Tim

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »
Unreal Tim! Great attention to detail it looks better than new.

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »
What you did with that playfield is nothing short of amazing!!  As a potential customer, what would a playfield restore like that cost approximately?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
Nope can't see my playfield in the booth ???

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
What you did with that playfield is nothing short of amazing!!  As a potential customer, what would a playfield restore like that cost approximately?

Honestly, unless you are on a super tight budget for your project(s), this is where the money is well spent. I've got playfields cleared by Bill Davis, CPR, Mirco and Herb Silvers - all VERY NICE. But NONE are in Tim and Stu's league. Not even close.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 12:45:46 AM »
Fluoro colours are a bastard, I am still playing with this on Radical restore.
Any tips?
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
Hey guys,

Apologies for the massive delay in updating this thread. I haven't had much time to post the projects here this year - but i intend to start documenting them again for everyone to see through 2018. I think the restoration threads are really important to this forum and the wider pinball community. I know how exciting it was when there were heaps of builds happening, everyone learning new things and trying to take restoration work to the next level.

I am going to start documenting in stages again as well. Sitting down to filter through hundreds of photos - trying to pick a few that sum up the entire job is just too hard and it looks more like a light overview, rather than posting ongoing info and sharing processes with others etc etc.

If anyone has any suggestions following on from that i would really welcome the thoughts - either PM or feel free to get in touch via the Hot Rodded Pins website.

ANYWAY

Here are the final photos of my personal Elvira and the Party Monsters. I truly gave this game everything i could. There really wasnt one thing that i could've changed IMO.
As always a big thanks to Daniel (ddstoys) for helping track down hard to find and seemingly unobtainable parts.

Here we go...

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
Absolutely spectacular, well done! Thanks for sharing the photos. Would you consider selling memory sticks with photo albums of your restorations?  They'd make excellent shop out guides for collectors pulling down, cleaning and reassembling their own games.