Author Topic: Cosmic Princess spinner scoring bug/fix  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Quench

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Cosmic Princess spinner scoring bug/fix
« on: April 15, 2017, 03:59:52 AM »
I might have found a problem with the spinner scoring on Cosmic Princess, but don't have a machine to check it.

From what I can tell:
If you make the upper Orange 5 lane, the Orange 400 point lights on the right spinner however the 400 points are instead awarded on the left spinner.
Same when you make the upper Yellow 2 lane, the Yellow 400 point lights on the left spinner however the 400 points are instead awarded on the right spinner.

If someone can test and confirm for me, I have a fix for it.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Cosmic Princess spinner scoring bug/fix
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
I just checked on my Cosmic Princess.. you are right that is exactly what happens  *%*

It's Interesting you posted this, as i HAD noticed years ago the scoring didn't seem right on the spinners, but i never really took the time to check what was actually happening until now.

Interested to know what the fix involves!

Offline Quench

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »
Thanks for confirming :-)

It makes the left spinner unbalanced because shooting the ball up the left spinner lane makes it score 1000 points per revolution since the rollover buttons in that lane spot both 400 point scores on that spinner.

There's two ways to fix it:
You could make hardware changes to those switches/lamps (i.e. swapping the wiring to the yellow and orange lamps plus swap the switch return wiring to the "2" and "5" switches). This will mean the manual/schematics won't match the machine.

Alternatively I have made a ROM mod. Do you have access to an EPROM programmer?
There is very limited free space in the ROM, but I might also be able to add freeplay, or how about open-ended special on the 1-5 upper lanes? (right now you can only get one per ball)
Or if there's some other mod that's more critical, let me know.

Offline Quench

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:18:17 AM »
I've finished updating the Cosmic Princess code. Is anyone interested in testing it?  Chime in even if you don't have an EPROM programmer because if you're the only one interested, we'll work something out.

Update is as follows:

01. Fix original spinner scoring bug.
02. Divide by 10 scoring: enabled via a dip switch.
03. Freeplay: enabled when maximum credits are set to *absolute* maximum which is now 99. Credits never go below 1.
04. Upper colored 1-5 lanes open ended specials (factory ROM is limited to 1 per ball): enabled via a dip switch.
05. Upper colored 1-5 lanes light specials after making the lanes twice (harder) instead of once: enabled via a dip switch.
06. Light drop target specials after the 4th drop target reset (harder): enabled via a dip switch.
07. Reset flipper return lanes value to 2k after awarding lit value on entry: enabled via a dip switch.
08. In switch test mode, cycle through showing *every* closed switch, not just the first closed switch found.
09. Make the spinner lamps and upper colored 1-5 lane lamps sequence in attract mode a little more logical.
10. Fix an original subtle bug when reaching maximum credits via specials - the game would pause longer than it should if maximum credits had a '5' in it.

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Im interested to test

Z