Author Topic: North Qld Tropical Winter Pinball Carnival 9th and 10th June (Townsville)  (Read 4002 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville

Hi All,

Alex McClarty (not a member on AP) and myself are looking to run a combined series of events over a couple of days in Townsville and would love it if any southern members would like to join us and enjoy a break from your cold winter and see why the tropics are so good to live in!

At this stage we have a tentative (but very likely) plan of the following:

Fri 9th June and Sat 10th June

Fri night 6-9pm Flip Frenzy at Alex's place (West End Townsville)
Sat 9am-approx 3pm Alligator Creek Open at my place (just south of Townsville)
Sat 6pm onwards, West End Wizards at Alex's place
Qualifying for West End Wizards can be either Friday night (better for locals), or Saturday up to 6pm (to cater for those that might fly in)

Details of the comps below

Other considerations - For those who might fly in.

Alex's place is only a couple of minutes from the airport, so Alex and I can ferry people from airport to his place, and to my place for the Saturday comp if people don't want to grab a car or taxi

Alex can also offer some accommodation for those travelling, contact him for info, but essentially you would be camping in the shed (with the pinballs), he may also be able to bring his caravan in which would be some more bedding. Otherwise, the Mercure Inn is also very close of Alex's place, or there are plenty of options along the Strand (waterfront)

I will organise a BBQ lunch for Saturday, and we can work out something for dinner on Sat night

Machines:

Alex's place

Fishtales
Ghostbusters Pro
ACDC LE
STTNG
Kiss (Bally)
Fireball Classic
Meteor
Motordome
Spy Hunter
Sinbad
Theatre of Magic
Judge Dredd
Twilight Zone
Dirty Harry
Jackpot

My Place

Spiderman
Shadow
Sinbad
Paragon
Medieval Madness
Xmen LE
ACDC Premium
CFTBL
Monster Bash
Who Dunnit
Possibly Jungle Queen

Comp details
Thinking entry fee around $10 per event

Fri night flip frenzy - most people know what these are, details will be updated once confirmed

Alligator Creek Open: 1st - 50%, 2nd - 20%, 3rd - 10%

20% to go towards maintenance, lunch, trophy's etc etc

Round 1:
4 player games on 3 machines.
Players grouped randomly
IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th)

Round 2:
4 player games on 3 machines
Players grouped based on Round 1 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 3:
Players grouped based on Round 2 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 4:
Players grouped based on Round 3 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 5:
Players grouped based on Round 4 seeding (tiered Swiss)

After Round 5, top 8 or 50% (whichever is lesser) progress to the semi-finals
Semi Final:
4 player games on 3 machines (each group will play the same mix of 3 machines).
2 groups of 4 based on seeding 1,4,5,8 and 2,3,6,7
IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th) - the top 2 from each group will progress to the Final

Final:

In the event of any round having a tied rankings for the final or to make the cut for a qualifying round, those players who are
tied will play a multiplayer tiebreaker game on a single machine randomly drawn.

West End Wizards

Qualifying from 5pm on Friday night, or after Alligator Creek Open, up to around 6pm Sat night
Qualifying - each player plays 7 machines, with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there (need to sork this one out with Alex)

The top 8 qualifiers will play off in a semi final which will be a combination of DMD and SS machines

2 groups of 4 based on seeding 1,4,5,8 and 2,3,6,7
IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th) - the top 2 from each group will progress to the Final

Final:

Depending on how numbers are looking, we may have opportunity for a side competition at my place if time permits - this might be something like best score on 3 games, with a top 4 playoff - likely to be on Sinbad, Paragon and either Jungle Queen or CFTBL.

If those who are keen but have questions (or suggestions for comp formats), please let us know.

If you are keen, can you let us know in the thread so we get an idea of numbers, and can confirm details.  We prob don't want more than 40, and preference will be given to those who are travelling and/or express interest early. There will be quite a few locals keen to attend, but wanted to open it up first to forum members who we have had the pleasure of meeting at various comps and events over the last few years.

Thanks

Alex and Rob

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Trophys have arrived!

Currently got about 25 confirmed plus plenty more locals likely coming. 5 or 6 from Brisbane, 1 from Adelaide and hopefully a couple from Sydney.

Others feel free to attend as it is looking like an epic weekend of pinball.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Just finished an awesome weekend of Pinball up here, would love to see some AP members attend these events in future. A full run down i emailed to all who attended is below for those who might know some of the people who attended.

Well, what an absolutely awesome few days of pinball, mateship and competition
Final Results  of the 4 comps are as follows:

Flip Frenzy
1 Rob Milla
2 Paul Bateman
3 Jason Lynch
4 Roland Kaegi

Single Ball of Death
1 Alex McClarty
2 Jasen Mouritsen
3 Keith Chambers
4 Rob Milla

Townsville Open
1 Rob Milla
2 Keith Chambers
3 Alex McClarty
4 Dave Porter

West End Wizards
1 Jasen Mouritsen
2 Grant Stephens
3 Tony Hauser
4 Rob Milla

A few of my thoughts on some of the comps:

Flip Frenzy – was a little hectic at the start as there were a lot of first timers, but sorted itself out quickly and everyone had a blast, a great social way to start the weekend. Special thanks to Amy for entering scores and mastering the spreadsheet so quickly.

Single Ball of Death – a comp where you plunge the 1st 2 balls (nudging allowed, but no flippers) and play the 3rd – was really fun in the finals, with lots of heckling and much more random in nature than a standard comp.

Townsville Open – definitely the highest level of competitors we have had at my place, with some long games with great intensity.  Special mention of Emily Cosson who made the top 8 (also for West End Wizards) at such a young age, and gave plenty of us a touch up – she totally controlled monster bash, and also has a great skillset on some of the SS games.  The 3 way playoff for the last 2 spots in the top 8 for this comp was also great watching.  Also special mention to Dave Porter who in the final got a ball stuck between the double flippers on Sinbad AND got it back in play!!!

West End Wizards – Jasen convincingly won this comp and deservedly so, with the next 3 in the finals all getting the same number of points – was a 3 way playoff for 2nd, 3rd and 4th on TZ which Grant won well. Special mention to Tony Hauser for his first ever comp and coming 3rd, hope to see more of him and the other Mackay boys at future events.

In terms of the event of all, I would really like to thank everyone who attended, particularly those who flew in – it was great at Alex’s final have 1 from each area represented (Townsville, Mackay, Sth Qld and Adelaide).  I appreciate it takes time and effort to travel here, so was stoked everyone enjoyed themselves.  My machines held up OK, with a switch needing adjustment on Shadow and a couple of gears stripped on MonsterBash.  The best thing about these events in not the games, points, prizemoney or machines, it’s the people. It was so awesome to catch up with those who I’ve met at previous events across the country, and also to get a few more locals along, and meet some of those who compete more often – it only strengthens the pinball scene up here.  We about 40 different people compete across all the events.

A HUGE thanks to my wife Melinda for putting up with all of us, and just as big a thanks to the guys who attended and how they conducted themselves at our home.  We have 4 young kids running around (plus a dog that made the semi regular run into the games room during the comp!) and people were very respectful towards them.  When I caught up with Melinda this morning, she said that she really enjoyed this comp (and really meant it) as everyone was super friendly, and she especially appreciated the effort that people made to have a chat with her.  Thanks also to those who had our 6 year old in their groups at the comp, and looked after him.  Also, thanks to my Mum and Dad who helped out with some of the catering.  Melinda’s cooking didn’t disappoint with some fresh pumpkin and sultana cake and choc chip muffins all polished off in a hurry!

To those who couldn’t make it, hopefully we will see you next year as we plan to make it an annual event – feedback from those who travelled was that it is a good format with a Friday evening/all day Sat and Sat night event at locations as it gives people opportunity to have a Friday off (easier than Monday) and travel back on Sun. That works well for Alex and I, plus with having the 2 venues, I will struggle to do late night events at my place with the kids. So having the nights at Alex’s place and day here is great.

Thanks again all and see you next year!

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Some random pics of the event. Games were set up pretty hard with tight tilts. Lool at the acdc scores pic for how close some scores were!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk