Author Topic: Eight Ball Cab Repaint  (Read 316 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • ******
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Eight Ball Cab Repaint
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:35:22 PM »
G'day all,


Just a quick thread on an Eight Ball cab that i was asked to repaint, that i've been working on over the last month or so along side of Card Whiz.


A quick bit of background on this game; I actually worked on this game just before last xmas, getting it up  and running for the customer, which was initially all i was going to do to this game. The owner is a regular customer of mine, who picked this game up for $1200 in Newcastle. It's was in pretty reasonable shape with a REALLY NICE backglass, and nice playfield with virtually no wear, just some slight bubbling of the mylar in places.


Getting it running was fairly routine stuff, rebuilding power supply, solenoid driver board, repinning connectors etc etc, though the MPU was stuffed, corroded beyond repair, so i had another one that i had refurbished by skybeaux to save me some time while i repaired the other issues.


Anyway, long story short after the game was picked up after repairs to boards etc had been done. Not long after i scored the job of repainting the cab! He said he would bring the cab back after he had stripped the game and done the major woodworking repairs, which would make it a nice simple job for me to do  #*#


SO.. the game was brought back to me a little over a month ago for the repaint. I didn't get many before pics unfortunately but the main issues were a hole drilled into the left side which can be seen in the second pic below!!


These pics were taken when i had done the electronic repairs several months ago.









The hole near the front, i was told that a previous owner had fitted a switch in there to activate the outhole coil to kick the ball into the shooter lane!..... interesting fix  %.%









The original MPU board.. was WAY WORSE on the back side!! It wouldn't even boot at all with the LED locked on, ROMs had corroded legs that broke off soon as i tried to remove them!









While i had the game the first time i removed the side rails and traced the stencil designs in preparation for the repaint.











« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:59:34 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • ******
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Eight Ball Cab Repaint
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:52:33 PM »
Fast forward to early April, the cabinet/backbox had been brought back for the repaint, most of the major repairs already done!


The owner had left the original paint on so i was able to check my stencils i had made against the cab prior to stripping the paint off.


With the paint off the primer coats were done.















Several primer coats were done over a few weeks after filling a few imperfections between coats, before finally getting to spray the white base coat!












Stencilling started, orange first...












Backbox was completed first.. Orange and black applied












Final result after cab completed!! turned out pretty sweet me thinks!


The cab was completed on Sunday and picked up this evening by the customer who was a very happy camper  *%*











Offline Pop Bumper Pete

  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • ******
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Eight Ball Cab Repaint
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:16:53 AM »
smicko

Offline ddstoys

  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • ******
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Eight Ball Cab Repaint
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
Very nice mate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Retropin

  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • ******
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Eight Ball Cab Repaint
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
Awesome job! 8 Ball is a tricky stencil .