Author Topic: Melbourne Pinball Expo 2009/2010 ...  (Read 4107 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Melbourne Pinball Expo 2009/2010 ...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
Any idea of how many pins will be up and running at once? I imagine he would have to rotate them around as floor-space for 2000 sounds a bit expensive!

Not sure on the exact number of machines. Page 227 of Michael's second book has a photo of the drawings of the buildings, looks very impressive and big. It says that the buildings will be designed along the theme of amusement parks of the early 1900's. There will be sections dedicated to the designers and artists. Alan anticipates all machines will be working and that visitors will be able to play most of them. It says with some of the more rare machines that these could possibly be played on pre-arranged special nights for real enthusiasts. He is also planning on having old amusements and carnival items and he hopes to incorporate an old style picture theatre.

That is exciting - sounds like a monster building or buildings then. I imagine someone will need to be employed full time to keep all the machines going. (Also sounds like real enthusiast = $$$ like the zoo nights you can do if you pay extra.) Hopefully you can get a three day pass if there are 2000 pins on the floor!

Tate's museum will become one of the tourist "must dos" for QLD for sure. For me it will mean annual hols in QLD  ()

My parents are planning on moving back to Queensland and I have a brother and a sister living up there so there will be a few opportunities I reckon.

So it sounds like the project to build the museum is starting next month?

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »
That is the plan - as Mike said on Saturday night Alan will be retiring from his business next month and the future Expo's will be held in his museum on the Gold Coast. It will be at Mount Tambourine (sp?) and as Andrew said right near the theme parks.

There are 300 games fully rebuilt and restored now. That alone is an amazing effort. Lee Feldwick from Pinball Rescue is working full time doing this.

Imagine owning 2000 pinballs  &&

thats 5 minutes from my place #*# #*# #*#
lucky me
that means when any of you guys go to visit the museum you can drop by my place. ^^^
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »
That was the plan  :lol

You will be supplying the beer also?  :lol

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »
its only 25 minutes from my place.  #*# I know he has secured a site up in mt tamborine. His factory is only a few minutes from me where Lee is restoring some of those 2,000 pins.

soon QLD will be the pinball capital of Australia.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 07:18:52 PM »
Pinball capital =

• lots of local suppliers of pinball machines (I can think of 5 off the top of my head, with possibly the two best showroom floors in Australia)
  • lots of local suppliers of pinball parts (not sure but at least 4, including the two or even three largest in Australia)

= Melbourne

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »
That was the plan  :lol

You will be supplying the beer also?  :lol
Thats fine, just need some notice so i can buy the brewskis, i dont drink beer much so i dont keep any in the fridge.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
Pinball capital =

• lots of local suppliers of pinball machines (I can think of 5 off the top of my head, with possibly the two best showroom floors in Australia)
  • lots of local suppliers of pinball parts (not sure but at least 4, including the two or even three largest in Australia)

= Melbourne

ok maybe not the capital, but we will have the best pinball museum in Australia, hands down
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
Pinball capital =

= Melbourne

ok maybe not the capital, but we will have the best pinball museum in Australia, hands down
yep i agree
i will have to meet this guy and get in his good books incase i need any scans of cabinet art for stencils

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 10:53:43 PM »
The museum will certainly put Queensland well and truly on the pinball map, no doubt about it.