Author Topic: Melbourne Pinball Expo 2009/2010 ...  (Read 4106 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Melbourne Pinball Expo 2009/2010 ...
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
Hi All,

What are the chances that a "Melbourne Pinball Expo" will appear anytime soon?

I won't be available to visit the Sydney Expo myself, and wonder if the expo might be a travelling show, that circulates annually between various states?

Or,

Would several parties organise expo's in their home states, therefore the potential for several expo's throughout the year, which would give everyone the chance to attend at least one of the shows in their hometown???

Based on the outcome of the Sydney Expo, it will help to prepare for other states....

Thoughts anyone??
MM.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Melbourne Pinball Expo 2009/2010 ...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »
I think Wayne is trying to organise something later this year, I wish him all the best but wont bet my left testy on it  *)*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »

There was a mini Expo organized by a Pinball Enthusiast from South Australia around 7 years ago ? It was tiny compared to the Sydney Expo, but it was not a hugely promoted event.

I think an event like an Expo needs to be run by Collectors/Enthusiasts/Hobbyists - Similar to what the Sydney Expo Organizers are doing. From the success of the Sydney Expo, the Organizers will have a track record to build on a similar event.

These guys are doing something about the Expo, not talking about it. There's a bit of a pattern there  ::)

A Melbourne event should have continued from the first Expo in Melbourne, but no one chose to organize a follow up. It would be great to have a traveling Expo - and Melbourne is the Aussie home of Pinball !

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
I think Wayne is trying to organise something later this year, I wish him all the best but wont bet my left testy on it  *)*

What about the right one?  !*!
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »
Maybe an "AP" expo is on the go? with support from it's sponsors & enthusiasts, there should be enough resources to put something together nicely.

As stated before, the Sydney Expo will be a good benchmark to work from.

The right one was lost on a previous bet  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
Maybe an "AP" expo is on the go? with support from it's sponsors & enthusiasts, there should be enough resources to put something together nicely.

As stated before, the Sydney Expo will be a good benchmark to work from.

The right one was lost on a previous bet  :lol

Lets see how much we have "grown" within the next year, but from the Site's perspective, everything has been organized and handled really well. It has been a good association between the Expo Organizers and AP.

Personally - The meets are more to my liking, with an Expo once a year !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »

Nah, even though I've had enough kids, I've grown quite attached to both thanks  *)*

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:24:21 AM »
and in 10 years time a brisbane or gold coast expo
well we do live in the past up here
just have to here some of the excuses people gave when the referendum for daylight savings were held, "the curtains will fade because of the extra sunlight & the cows won't know what time to come in for milking" were a couple !!@

but yes a traveling expo would be excellent.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:19:26 AM »
and in 10 years time a brisbane or gold coast expo
well we do live in the past up here
just have to here some of the excuses people gave when the referendum for daylight savings were held, "the curtains will fade because of the extra sunlight & the cows won't know what time to come in for milking" were a couple !!@

but yes a traveling expo would be excellent.

If Alan Tate ever gets his dream to happen you won't need to have an Expo, you will have a pinball museum up there you can go to any time.

Well, I guess he is planning to build it in Queensland??

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 02:48:09 AM »
what right here in the smat state?
whopps i mean SMART state. hee hee  &&
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
what right here in the smat state?
whopps i mean SMART state. hee hee  &&

Point proven...

I believe he is a Queenslander. I reckon if he built it somewhere near the theme parks - drop the kids off at one of the theme parks and then spend all day playing pinball. How good would that be?

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
That is the plan - as Mike said on Saturday night Alan will be retiring from his business next month and the future Expo's will be held in his museum on the Gold Coast. It will be at Mount Tambourine (sp?) and as Andrew said right near the theme parks.

There are 300 games fully rebuilt and restored now. That alone is an amazing effort. Lee Feldwick from Pinball Rescue is working full time doing this.

Imagine owning 2000 pinballs  &&

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 02:46:56 AM »
Mount Tamborine, it is. Used to go up there for camps and stuff as a youngster. It's probably about 20 - 30kms from the theme parks depending on which one your kids want to go to.

I didn't realise that future Expo's were meant to be held up there; sounds like a pretty good idea though.

Any idea of how many pins will be up and running at once? I imagine he would have to rotate them around as floor-space for 2000 sounds a bit expensive!

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
Any idea of how many pins will be up and running at once? I imagine he would have to rotate them around as floor-space for 2000 sounds a bit expensive!

Not sure on the exact number of machines. Page 227 of Michael's second book has a photo of the drawings of the buildings, looks very impressive and big. It says that the buildings will be designed along the theme of amusement parks of the early 1900's. There will be sections dedicated to the designers and artists. Alan antipates all machines will be working and that visitors will be able to play most of them. It says with some of the more rare machines that these could possibly be played on pre-arranged special nights for real entusiasts. He is also planning on having old amusements and carnival items and he hopes to incorporate an old style picture theatre.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:43:37 AM by tonyt »

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
Tate's museum will become one of the tourist "must dos" for QLD for sure. For me it will mean annual hols in QLD  ()