Author Topic: Stern NBA at the expo  (Read 391 times)

Offline PeterW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sutherland Shire
Stern NBA at the expo
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »
Woo-hoo!!! I got to play a few games on Stern's new NBA pinball machine at the expo yesterday.  :D  It was set on freeplay so was getting a good workout by the crowd.

Now I am not a fan of American basketball and didn't think much of the theme when I first heard about this pin, but I was really surprised how good it was. The most pleasing thing from my perspective was that the playfield was quite open, a lot like older single-level pins. While it has a few ramps, most of the gear above the main deck is up the back and to the sides so the playfield is much more visible and not obscured by toys etc.

And it is a bright, colourful playfield rather than the typical dark coloured playfields that have been used on modern pins for many years. It really does seem like an attempt by Stern to make a game more accessible to the general public and with an older style about it.

I spoke to one of the AMD guys and he quoted a price of $8,250. I guess that's a lot of money to spend on an amusement machine but compared with the prices I see on ebay for some popular 10+ year old Williams and Bally pins, it's not too bad for a brand spanking new 2009 pin.

I really hope this new pin does well. If I had the bucks right now I'd buy one, no question.  ^^^

Well done, Stern!
Gottlieb Fastdraw - Stern Magic

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Stern NBA at the expo
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »
I didnt like it much Peter. I reckon it would get boring fast. Often the ball missed the basket, and landed on a plastic. PF looks good, very colorful, and flippers feel great. Its not a winner in my book, but not a dog either. 24 on the otherhand was a bloody good player for me.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:50:40 PM »
I put a couple of games on this too.

During the first game I was thinking that I quite liked it, and some of the shots were a lot of fun. I do enjoy open playfields, so was interested in playing a second game. During that second game I realised that the shots were somewhat repetitive, and wonder if it would have a long term appeal. But surprisingly, I did find the game attractive - not the least for the absence of the recent corny photo style images found on the move/TV licenses games.

Good luck to Stern, we need a pinball manufacturer, and they are all we have - at least they are pressing on.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »
Hey peter...yeah I thought it was a good game as well...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
Wasn't a real fan of the NBA pinball-but loved the 24 now that was fantastic..

Peter

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
I only got to play one or two games on it and it seemed like it might be OK. But I have become more and more convinced that NBA Fastbreak is the basketball-themed pin for me. It felt a bit more like basketball than the Stern.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
FastBreak gets a lot of love, and I am yet to find one to play.

Offline Docpinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »
Hope it sells well or it could be curtains for Stern. Three flops in a row is not sustainable.

Offline PeterW

• Forum Posts:
  • Sutherland Shire
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
I didn't realise the last three were flops. Do we know how many of their recent titles they are selling?
Gottlieb Fastdraw - Stern Magic

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »
Hope it sells well or it could be curtains for Stern. Three flops in a row is not sustainable.

I hear they are going to do a re-run on LOTR; that should save them for a while.

Offline furballx

• Forum Posts:
  • Seven Hills (Sydney)
    • My other hobby
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »
I enjoyed this game too, but I reckon I would get tired of it quickly.  Now the 24 next to it, that was a fun pinball.
Dave
Do, or do not.  There is no try.