Author Topic: BALLY STAR TREK HAS LANDED  (Read 2492 times)

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: BALLY STAR TREK HAS LANDED
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 05:24:15 PM »
The triple thick will actually soften the paint a little, you need to make sure that the triple thick runs under the graphics to the glass to it can be attached to the glass.  The cling wrap method works well, but you need someone to help with laying on the wrap to minimise crinkles.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »

Daniel - You will need to warn the owner of the machine that the process of sealing the glass is imperative before any work can be done. Also mention the risks involved. Take your time with this repair.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 06:45:07 PM »
Well im attempting the glad wrap method doing a section at a time but i dont like the chances as the tape they have applied with the pieces uneven but will see how it goes.  Really cant get any worse

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »
You really need to do the whole glass in one go, otherwise you will risk pulling off more paint.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »
Well from the beginning i knew this BG would never be great but after attempting to save what was left ive found the cling wrap method works quite well but not on this one.    You are really able to move the pieces around and rebuild it like a jigsaw puzzle sadly this one was in great big chinks that were still stuck in different spots so was unable to get it all stuckdown as i would have liked but atleast once its dry there will be far more holding onto the glass than before im debating if i whould just leave the cling wrap on as an extra layer to hold it together????\
  Here are a few pics.
  First i carefully cut the sticky tape with a scalpel then lifted the art to try clean the 15 years of built up crud off the glass  (Was told this has sad in his dads shed for the last 15yrs sadly i think it was a damp shed )

Then sprayed the Triple thick onto the glass and art

Pressed it down as best i could and layed the glad wrap over top

Then held it flat with whatever i could find (next attempt ill make sure i have a piece of glass to hold everything down)

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 10:17:30 PM »
I would not normally recommend it but considering the backglass is in such a bad state, I have seen a whole sheet of contact/mylar stuck to the back to hold everything down.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »
I had considered this but there really wasnt enough paint stuck to the glass for this i think the whole lot would have just fallen off lol

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
Well i peeled off the glad wrap today came of very easily there are still a few spots not stuck but i can breath around it again so thats a good thing ill have a go at the rest next weekend

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
Well i peeled off the glad wrap today came of very easily there are still a few spots not stuck but i can breath around it again so thats a good thing ill have a go at the rest next weekend

Great news Daniel
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 10:46:44 PM »
Well is been a slow process getting this one going the owner didnt want to spend a heap on it so its been slow and steady ordering piece at a time not wanting to invest a heap to find out it was stuffed.  I know have the game running 100% so im starting to strip the playfield this will just be a clean and polish with price being a factor.  I really wanted the owner to keep the machine not to have to sell it as its been his dads for the last 15 or more years.   Ill

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »
this was the last id done before pulling the pin i have a call out tomorrow afternoon so there might no be anupdate on this for a couple of days

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 08:07:41 AM »
Now I have the itch to get one of these again, its in pretty decent condition that one. I have the perfect topper for one (model enterprise).

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
at least you have a great pf to start with.
pitty about the back glass.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 04:42:22 PM »
Well once the playfield was stripped i could finally have a good look there was some mylar and paint lifting around some of the inserts so i decided id leave the Mylar on wasnt worth the risk

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »
with a quick wipe