Author Topic: Abra cadabra restore  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Abra cadabra restore
« on: May 22, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »
Hi guys.. Since im having a break from restoring for a while due to the fact its too cold in the garage to do much, I thought id post a few more of my earlier restores.

I’ll start of with my ’75 Abracadabra I did a few years ago. I’ve had this one for about twenty years now (this was my second pinball I bought, after I bought my Stern Stingray). The guy who ran the Pinball Parlour in Port Macquarie (who I bought Stingray from) gave me the phone number of a guy in Wauchope who had this game. This guy had been to the Pinball Parlour looking to sell the machine, and on asking if the game was worth anything, the arcade operator replied “take it to the tip”! I’m glad he didn’t take this advice!!

Anyway I rang the guy and arranged to meet him one afternoon to look at the game. At this stage I had no idea what kind of game it was.  I didn’t ask, and would’ve been none the wiser if I had. So I turned up at the guy’s place and was soon looking over the game. Initially I didn’t like the back box shape; I had never seen an EM pin in the flesh before, and certainly not a wedgehead one! He had said some of it wasn’t working and on powering it up.

The only real problem it had was that none of the 500 point rollovers scored when activated. At that time I didn’t have much idea about the workings of EM pins, so this game was a big part of my EM education. It took a while but I eventually worked out where the problem was (500point relay, contact adjustment).
I later decided to repaint the cabinet (masked off and painted each colour..lol). the first pic is of how it looked after this.. the colours were wrong but I didn’t care about that at the time (I’ve actually repainted this game about THREE TIMES in total now)!!  :lol

You’ll have to excuse the bad quality of some of the earlier pics.. I only had a cheap camera at the time I did most of the work on this game, and have NO pics of how the game looked when I first got it home, or before anything was done to it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:10:41 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: Abra cadabra restore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
The cabinet was a bit knocked around as expected, but the playfield, although dirty was in great condition.. and the backglass too was in near perfect condition.. not a even the slightest scratch!! I later realised that the backglass had been sealed at some stage, hence its excellent current state. To this day I’ve not touched any of its artwork!!

As stated, I repainted this game about three times. First time was nothing more that masking off and repainting the cabinet only.. (not the backbox) soon after I bought the game. I didn’t even recreate the webbing on the cab!! (remember I was a complete beginner at that time). Second time round, about six or seven years ago now, I totally dismantled the whole game and restored it totally, making stencils and repainted the game again. Another year or so later I STILL wasn’t happy with the job I’d done painting the cab so once again I stripped everything from the cabinet and this time complelely stripped all of the old paint
back to bare wood, (yes I kept the stencils from the last time). This time I replaced the bottom panel before doing any painting, something I neglected to do the previous time.

These pics are of the latest restore. The previous time I’d used auto acrylic spraypaint but this time I used Dulux spray enamel. The white I used was an “off white” colour which, I thought, looked really good on this game and gave it an “aged” look. THIS time I added the webbing pattern, using the toothbrush trick, dipped into unthinned black enamel paint, from about a foot away, and scraping the bristles with an icy pole stick to give a similar affect.. well close enough I think! to the original effect. I ALWAYS test this first onto cardboard etc!!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »
Some stenciling progress pics…

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
And finally the finished cab and backbox!!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »
As previously mentioned, the playfield was in excellent condition (sorry, no before pics) requiring little more than a bit of cleaning. It had had the usual ‘woodgrain’ contact put on in places, ie plunger lane/top arch, and around the bumpers, which I removed. There was some minor damage to the Mylar near the return lanes on the light inserts, but I wasn’t confident enough at that time to try to remove and replace it so it was left alone.
Since the mylar IS a little bit worse for wear, this is on my “to do” list, to be done soon, I already have the new mylar, just need to find the time.

Anyway first thing I did was to repair every lamp socket.. remove, clean out the inside and solder its base to ensure reliable operation (1st pic is this being done).
2nd pic, starting to reassemble the playfield after cleaning with Re-po paint doctor. .. again sorry for the poor quality pic (had the cheap camera when I did this).

New rubbers, globes and 3” flipper bats were fitted. Notice the two small plastics just above the flippers.. these are always broken on every one of these games I’ve ever seen.. this one was no different! So I remade some new ones from scans of the broken originals.. first tidying up the images in Arcsoft Photostudio and reverse printing them onto clear adhesive, and sticking them onto polycarbonate plastic, followed by white backing, ie white acrylic paint in this case.. same as I did on my Dracula PF resto, except I used white adhesive label on those plastics to diffuse the light rather than paint.

An instruction card apron decal was purchased from Lee at “Pinball Rescue” in Queensland when they were in business before. The quality of work these guys did with their range of decals was amazing, and reasonably priced (I bought decal kits for a few of my games from them). I’m really glad to hear they will be starting up again soon!!! Now I just need to scan and reproduce the instruction and replay score cards!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:46:06 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
Most of the chrome had peeled off the front door and coin entrance plate. Since there was no one in Armidale who does rechroming at the time I restored this game, I decided to paint these items. These were first sanded with 36 grit sandpaper then sprayed with etch primer. Once dry these were sanded back with 400 grit wet/dry (sanded wet) and then given several coats of silver acrylic. Not the ideal solution but the final result came out pretty good.
I will be removing the coin door, coin entry plate and ball shooter surround soon and having them re chromed
 The chrome on the legs was in pretty good nick so these only needed polishing. All the rest of the metalwork was polished Autosol or painted as needed.

Since the electrics were working perfectly before starting the rebuild it fired up and played pretty much, first go. Only some minor switch adjustments were needed

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »
VERY VERY NICE !

Machine looks great, and the work is awesome....
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:33:14 PM »

WOW !

Nice job, Mitch - as always. I've never had the pleasure of playing this title - Not that I can recall.

Thanks for sharing.

@@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
Abra Ca Dabra is a great machine to play and a classic Gottlieb EM.
You have done an outstanding job on restoring it.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »
You are a showoff Mitch  :lol

How good does this title look? There is just something special about Gottlieb wedge heads.

This is such a fantastic game to play and you have made her look so sweet.

Shaking my head that you resprayed her THREE times - OMG!

As with all your work it's top shelf and very inspirational mate!

Thanks for posting, much appreciated  ^^^

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing, you have done a fantastic job with it. Looking forward to your next restoration instalment.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 02:09:39 PM »
Again Really great work mitch every time i see one of your restores i want to go out the the shed and work on my machines

pinballist

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
Wow Mitch your work is totally inspiring.  Really enjoyed seeing the progress pictures.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »
thanx for the kind words guys  ^^^ much appreciated

just a few more detailed pics, that i didnt get time to post yesterday as i was running out of time, had a band gig to go to in Tamworth, only just now got home.

Just as a side note, i almost sold this game not too long after i got it.. a guy came looking for me wanting to buy a pinball game, and nearly talked this one out of me for $500.. until i found out he intended to paint the cab to suit the decor of his rumpus room at home!!! this was still WAY before i had put all of this work into it you see here, even so, needless to say i wasnt going to let him do that to this old classic, and promptly changed my mind about selling it *%* *%*

Only things left to do are the instruction and score cards and a new PF glass as this one has a few scratches that let it down a bit. Oh and i said before i want to remove the door coin entry plate and send them off to be chromed, and to remylar the playfield... will be done soon
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:48:27 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Inkochnito

• Forum Posts:
  • Piershil Netherlands
    • Inkochnito's Pinball score and instruction cards
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 06:36:17 AM »
How about the instruction cards?
I've just made the set for Abra Ca Dabra.
Just send me an e-mail and I'll send it over.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl