Author Topic: Sound issue with my Getaway  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Sound issue with my Getaway
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2009, 08:37:13 PM »
OK first regarding the sound issue. Childs has provided another sound board. I have put it on and will test. Fingers crossed.

Now for the Supercharger:

WIth the guys at childs on the phone, I did a sensor test and they all open and close, tested by using a screwdriver as suggested by Childs and Angelo. Then did a speed test and got numbers like 46, 71. The most I got was 226 but I might have thrown the ball up there very quickly myself. The ball only does one loop and comes back down the entrance ramp.

It was suggested that Nino's services might be required again by the boys at Childs.

Cheers

Happy to oblige - I'll let you know when I can come around - Family have had the flu ravage through the house - I can't even venture into the garage !

We will get it going..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »
OK first regarding the sound issue. Childs has provided another sound board. I have put it on and will test. Fingers crossed.

Did the sound board fix your problem  *%*
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »
Thanks Nino, anytime you can is fine, just send us a message so I can be here. I have a fairly blank schedule.

As for the sound board, I have not really played the game since the charger does not function, defeats the purpose in a way. If it does the same problem then we will know it was not the board. I am sure it wil sort itself out, but I will let you all know.

Childs seem to think it was an electronic pot issue on the board which is common on these machines.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
My batting average with your machine is not good 0/1.

Have you checked fuse F103?

Also what ROM version is it running.  When you first fire the machine up it will tell you on the DMD.  It may have P-C? or hopefully L-2 (or L-5).  The P versions were the very first and from my reading were a little buggy.  L-2 is aparently the best version without issues.  I changed mine from P-C to L-2 and really did change the game play significantly.  Especially the supercharger.

If yours is not firing at all this will have nothing to do with it, but more just for fine tuning later on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:30:37 PM by MartyJ »

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »
Your batting average is fine, it's my machine that has a bad average. Nope but I can do that.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
Your batting average is fine, it's my machine that has a bad average. Nope but I can do that.

Not really, these things happen all the time.  If a plane crashed through the roof and crushed your machine, but would be bad for the machine!.

Quite often transporting machines can identify small little issues like this.  I've done more reading about your sound issue and I reckon Humpalot and Mark's techs are on the money.  Easy job to swap the board.

The magnets, could be a number of issues, something simple like a fuse, or a plug come loose or maybe not.  I'm sure Nino would have it up and running in the time it takes to make a cup of tea, if you havn't sorted it by then.

For me playing the games is fun but keeping them running and maintainance is also fun.  You've learnt heaps already this week and you'll know more by next week.  When you get your next pin you'll have more confidence to fix minor issues without hesitation!

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
I think that is the problem Marty. It has a nice big black burn mark in the middle. Will have to replace it.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »
I think that is the problem Marty. It has a nice big black burn mark in the middle. Will have to replace it.

OK, refer to the manual as to the correct fuse type and NEVER overfuse them.

Fuses blow for a reason (generally).  If the magnets stay on for too long it can cause the fuse to blow (either in test mode or game play), or the accelerator board for the SC may have an issue.
The fuse will have to be replaced either way.

RTBB here has a great selection and super quick postage too.  Always handy to have a few spares floating around.

I'll wait for those with superior knowledge than I to assist with this too.

FYI with fuses, a visual check is not always the best way to go - but a big arse burn mark is a good sign.  Good practise to check with a multimeter with it out of machine. 

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2009, 09:56:29 PM »
Just had a play with mine too on the SC Time test mode

I was averaging around 88 - 98.  From reading on RGP there does not seem to be a definitive answer, but most say anything around this is functioning correctly.

In relation to the divertor error, when I had the P-C ROM installed I was getting a divertor-lo error on startup every time.  There was nothing wrong with my divertor and upgrading the ROM resolved this issue completely.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »
Yeah I will buy a multimeter tomorrow I think. Now I just have to learn how to use one. They make no sense to me. I will just wait for a step by step from you Marty  :D

Cheers

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »
Yeah I will buy a multimeter tomorrow I think. Now I just have to learn how to use one. They make no sense to me. I will just wait for a step by step from you Marty  :D

Cheers

Make sure it does AC and DC voltages (all should), it has Ohms, Diode and continuity (buzz).  Do a quick search here on DMM and you should pick up some more info.

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »
Ok, firstly a very  big thank you to everyone for the help. You have all taught me a lot over the last two weeks and if I have annoyed anyone with my stupid questions and ignorance I am sorry. 
    Supercharger issue: Marty your batting average just jumped to 1/2. It was fuse f103. Replaced and the supercharger is flying. The little tweak to the sensors that I did yesterday have made it a lot better.
     Sound issue: I have played a few games so far and it has been fine. a fellow new recruit to aussie pinball and friend is coming over tonight for a bash on getaway and guitar hero metalica (great game for anyone interested) so we will have a decent sessio tonight. If there is a sound problem still it will reveal itself tonight.
     Huge thanks to the boys at Childs for your help also on how quickly they have acted on my requests and after a dubious start they have certainly kept their word on their back up service. Massive congratulations on a job well done so far.
     Finally, thanks again Nino for the offer to help. Obviously you are mor than welcome to pop in anytime for a game, coffee, beer or just to chill looking admiring flying V's and watching kiss DVD's.
     I even managed to replace my apron the other day. Picked up a decent one on EBAY FOR $20 which was in way better condition to mine. My lockdown bar is on the way also. Next mission is to change the side rails which I might have to recruit Nino for.(Just name your price).

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »
All this has basically made me think of what parts I should start collecting to have on hand. I have some 444 and 555 globes on hand and 3 balls. What should I start collecting to have a back of for future issues?

All suggestions welcome.

And once again if there is anything I can help with, dont hesitate to ask, I make good coffee and will even walk dogs to repay my debt  %.%

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »
ok, game played for 1 hr no sound issue, looks like to be all fixed. #*# $#$ @@* ^^^

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 05:02:13 PM »

thanks for the kind words , i even here them from here in usa
we do try and follow up with what we sell .

most will say as for back up parts  always have some flipper rubbers and sling shot ones too ,
we always replace these every 6 months
maybe have some novus too, this will keep your playfield  clean and also keeps the balls clean
just a few little things ontop of the globes you have

mark