Author Topic: GOTTLIEB DROP TARGET UNIT REPAIRS  (Read 3316 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
GOTTLIEB DROP TARGET UNIT REPAIRS
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
No sure if this is classed as a rebuild as usually they just need a good clean but here goes.

If you just want to get them going read the below info if you want to pull them apart and clean them up properly skip to the next Post.

Drop targets are simply plastic targets that are knocked down when the ball pushes the plastic lip of the edge of the frame causing it to be pulled into the unit with the help of a few springs. And then reset with a large coil that activates and pushes the targets up with a large metal arm.     

If your trying to fix a drop target issue check that each target has a spring attached to the top of the steel guitar looking piece and a spring from the bottom of the guitar looking piece to the bottom of the cabinet if these are missing its a good chance thats your problem.

So if your target are?

NOT RESETTING.   This can be a few things  the easiest to check is Manually activate the coil do this with the machine off as some of these coils are activated by 110v push the coil plunger all the way in if the targets are close to latching on Try adjusting the coil position.  To do this there are a few screws on the back of the coil loosen theses and slide the coil down very slightly tighten the screws and try again. Repeat if needed.
        If the coil is as far away as it goes then take a look at the guitar shaped piecessometimes these can be worn were the arm hits them if this is the case you will need to pull the unit apart so skip to the next post.

NOT DROPPING AT ALL.   This can be caused by the unit being to close to the rubber check the gap between the target and the rubber while watching the between the rubber and target and push it in slowly by hand if it hits the rubber before the lip falls off the frame lift the playfield loosen the 4 screws holding the unit on and move the whole unit a little further from the rubbers.  If this doesnt fix it the unit will need to be removed so skip to the next post

NOT DROPPING ALL THE WAY.  This is usually caused by dirty targets and to fix this it should be removed and cleaned but on the off chance that the spring has lost its tension this can be remedied until new springs can be added by removing the lower spring that pulls the guitar down and stretching it so that one or two coils slides over the frame to add more downward tension then hold this in place with a small screw but this is not advised

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: GOTTLIEB DROP TARGET UNIT REPAIRS AND REBUILD
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
Right lets pull this bad boy apart for cleaning these are not simple so if you are unsure please take photos so you have a reference to what goes where.  There may be an easier way but this is how i do em.

First make sure you have a nice flat area to lay all your parts on trust me this does help.

Also some units allow the targets to be removed without dismantling the whole thing so ill start with that method for the Noobs
and its upto you if you leave the unit hanging by the wires or you desolder it.

STEP 1. First remove the coil with the screws on the back once there undone the coil will slide of the plunger allowing it to hang
             to save desoldering it.  Unsolder all the switch wires marking them so you know where they go (They will usually just sit
             roughly where they belong)  Remove the 4 screws holding the unit in place it should now be off.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: GOTTLIEB DROP TARGET UNIT REPAIRS
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »
If your units has the cut outs to remove the plastic targets this post is enough to get the unit cleaned and lubed which is great. For those who don't be patient there will be more to come.

STEP 2.  Undo the 4 screws holding the plate on the side of the unit with the Drop Targets two of these will also hold the
              mounting bracket for the unit.

STEP 3.  Undo the upper spring that attached to the guitar looking thing and the Drop Target there is no need to remove it from
              the target just the guitar to do this use pointy nose pliers or a flat screwdriver but be careful not to stretch them or
              loose them.    Remove these by holding the spring with your fingers and use your tool of choice to get the spring loop
              from over the metal lug.  Now simply remove the Target

STEP 4  Now take a toothbrush with metho and remove as much grease and crud from all metal components

STEP 5  Now place a small drop of machine oil on any moving metal to metal  parts

STEP 6  Carefully clean the targets with metho except the picture area i try cleaning this dry first then water then windex
             until it comes clean but be careful not to stuff the picture

STEP 7 Re install by reversing the procedure above
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:32:37 PM by ddstoys »

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »
thanks for this, on DaC I have 3 targets that are hard to knock down. All the targets are new, but those areas you show seem dirty. One thing though........the 3 three effected targets are much harder to raise manually compared to the rest. Any ideas why this may be? other than dirt/grime? I have ruled-out the rubbers coming into play.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »
I would say if they are hard to drop and hard to raise it would be the grime unless some springs have been replaced with stronger ones? Give it a clean and see how you go

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »
I would say if they are hard to drop and hard to raise it would be the grime unless some springs have been replaced with stronger ones? Give it a clean and see how you go

will do
ty

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »

cleaned the effected targets, no difference. Bit the bullet and stretched the top springs a little...........perfect!!
The effected ones do have new springs, allthough some of the fine ones do also.
Anyway its all sweet now.
Ty  #*#

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:48:13 PM »
Now for those who want to go the whole way continue here

STEP 8. Now to remove the guitar shaped things you need to remove the small C clip at the end of the rod when removing this
             take the clip of the side that the guitars sit so when you pull the rod the bracket hold them in place if you go the other
             way the guitars seize and make it hard to remove the rod. Also watch out for the return spring as the rod comes out
             this may shoot off and as the rod falls out of the guitars simply unhook the lower spring
             and remove the guitar thing.

STEP 9  Now the reset arm should just pull off the unit aswell

STEP 10  Now remove the 4 remaining screws holding the back plate on and that's it

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 05:00:32 PM »
STEP 11.  Now this step really depends on the time and effort you want to spend on the unit.  I will usually just got the metho
                on a toothbrush then clean up with a dry rag but there is no reason you cant go all nino on it and hit the parts with a
                buff to make them really shine.

STEP 12.  Once you have cleaned up all the parts its time to put it back together. Screw the side plate with the switches
                attached to the top and bottom plate leaving the open slots facing out then slide the rod in like you removed it so the
                guitars hold against the bracket.  First sit the reset arm in place and slide the Nylon bush into place then start feeding
                in the rod put the return spring in place and slide the rod through that and feed it into the bracket.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:10:50 PM by ddstoys »

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
STEP 13.  Keep feeding the rod through adding the guitars as you go until you reach the end now insert the Nylon bush push
                the rod through then add the C clip

STEP 14.  Now to install the springs to the guitars i attach them to the frame first then i use pointy nose pliers to stretch them 
                over the lip

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
STEP 15.  To install the drop targets attach the spring to the target then with one hand hold the guitar so it will line up with the
                slot in the target and place the target in the groove.    Now stretch the spring and loop the end over the lip on the
                top of the guitar

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »
STEP 16.  Once all the targets are re installed screw the front plate back on not forgetting the mounting brackets as it sucks
                having to pull it apart again to add them lol.  Thats it one finished drop target bank

Step 16.  When re installing it into the game make sure there is clearance between the targets and the rubber behind them as
                if the targets hit this they wont drop.  Also when re installing the coil make sure you tighten it up straight and there is
                enough movement to push the targets all the way up. If the coil is screwed on crooked the arm will jam

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
And i decided to test out the targets and as you can see the only liquid that didn't remove the art was water.

Water didn't damage it at all
Windex worked ok if used very lightly but it did smudge
Metho as expected just ate it right off
Novus 2 as with windex if used very lightly might have been ok but did smudge

So clean them at your own risk

I hope this helps a few people to have a go at repairing there drop targets

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »
As with all my other repairs this Target set is for sale  $40 including postage with all money apart from postage being donated to AP  First in best dressed

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »
Thanks very much for this thread. It helped me sort out my machine, and when I need to pull down a set of targets I will know where to read. Really appreciate that it was easy to understand, and lots pics (with captions).
 #*#