Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 28 - Ford Fairlane  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sunday Pinball Questionaire - part 28 - Ford Fairlane
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »

Lets see if this Thread beats the Pro Football Thread !

1. Earliest pinball memory?
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
5. How long have you been collecting?
6. First game and how did you find it?
7. Do you still have it?
8. What are you currently working on?
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
13. Describe your collection
14. Describe your gamesroom
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Hi Guys,

Just a bit of background before i answer the questions below.

I have fond memories of pinballs in my younger years but sadly moved away from them and i think i blame my love of the video game. It is only in the last year that i have found pinball again through the forums where i have met some great people and continue doing so. They have helped me reignite the passion for pinball and i know its something that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

And  :lol at least this thread wont be as long as the Pro Football thread.

1. Earliest pinball memory?

It was when i went on a table tennis camp (yeah i know lol) that we stayed in a caravan park in the hunter valley region. The guy had some video games and 1 pin (an EM but cant remember the title) and the sounds of the clanging and clicking will be something i never forget. Unfortunately around that time video machines kind of took over for me so i only played the occasional pin from then on.. sad..

2. All time favorite pin? Why?

I would have to say flash as it was one pin that i seemed to run into a lot. I remember it fondly as a machine that i got my moneys worth on with great eye candy and low woo woo sounds that were mesmerising. Of course after many years without playing flash, i got a chance to play one at Greg's place (extra ball) and it brought back those memories. I played his other machines too but kept coming back to the flash. Now that Paul has acquired it, i hope to be able to keep playing it and with Pauls turnover rate on pins, i may even be able to buy it one day  :lol

3. Favorite pinball manufacture?

I'm going to have to say Williams. My first pin is a williams and flash seals the deal.

4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?

Well my collection being so small i will pick the one that works (my gulfstream)  :lol. Its a simple game with add a ball and also adds credits. Its a robust machine which hasnt missed a beat since i got her for $500.

5. How long have you been collecting?

Less than a year

6. First game and how did you find it?

Gulfstream and it was while surfing through AA that Greg (extra ball again!!!) gave me the heads up on it!

7. Do you still have it?
Yes but it requires serious restoration. I dont think i'll ever sell it though as its my first and its from the same month and year of my birth. I will restore her lovingly and hope to learn heaps along the way.

8. What are you currently working on?

:lol anyone who has read my "mega thread" would know its a Pro Football. I must say that regardless of the pain this machine has caused me, it has given me an opportunity to ask lots of questions on this forum and forced me to actually get my head under the playfield and learn a little about these fantastic machines.

9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?

Im not one for the cookie cutter games that have the huge production runs but ironically it would have to be a flash!!! Of course any em's are more than welcome to join the line up!!

10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?

$500 for the Gulfstream for a game that works perfectly!!!

11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!

Jurasssic Park for just over $1600. I have to get this one for my son and i wasnt watching properly on ebay. Got sniped which really upset me and my son...

12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought

People might say Pro football but i cant say thats true. Both of my machines are saveable and will scrub up a treat when im done with them.

13. Describe your collection

Minimalistic  &^& but its definately given me a taste for things to come. I plan on a few signature EM's and some classic SS's.

Up for discussion but the missus has been quite supportive. She has given me 2 options:

a) I'm allowed to take up the FULL double garage OR
b) Enclose the current patio area which is 7 x 5

Im in a bit of a holding pattern while my parents are staying with me. When my parents move into their new place at the end of this month, i will give the whole joint a clean and work out the best way to set up a gamesroom.

15. Do you have other games other than pinball?

Yes!! my scratch built MAME machine that i built with my dad. Here's a couple of pics of my pride and joy

16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?

I think that there will always be an interest in pins and as such the future looks strong. As long as there are enthusiasts like us who play and maintain these pieces of history, they will always live on. I just have to look at crowds like the last expo where one minute and old man is challenging me on a machine thats older than me to a 5 year old kid asking me how to start a game, i can see that pinball appeals to people of all ages.

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Well done, Rob; as always these are a fascinating read. It is so interesting to be able to gain different perspectives on the hobby from so many different collectors.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
Excellent read Rob!  ^^^

Flash is one of my faves as well. Had a great time playing it at Pauls place the other week.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

That was an interesting read, Rob, as I knew you were a recent convert that had the balls to roll up his sleeves and take on an EM. That earns mega respect in my book, as Videos are easy to fix, and EM Pinball machines are at the opposite end of the spectrum. Keep working and learning Pinball - they will return you hours of enjoyment and satisfaction. Sounds like you have the Pinball Bug, and we have all "had a ball" seeing you progress !

^^^ ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Great post Rob. Part of me misses that Flash, and can understand why someone would love to have one in their collection.
Yep go EMs and early SS Rob!
 *%*

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Thanks for posting Rob,really enjoyed your answers.

For the guys on this forum that have never had the chance to meet Rob the guy just overflows with enthusiasm and is one of the nicest guys you could meet.

Before he owned a pin he would come to Paul's meets and just hang on to everybodies every word looking at learning as much as possible.

Just one word of advice mate:

Take a and b  *%*

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Well Rob it really great to get a bit of background. We will get Pro Football running even if i have to fly there and do it myself  (DONT GIVE IN) Your Missus gave you a choice shit mate that full steam ahead in my book as soon as Pro football is running i expect to see another Em beside it.   Stuff that buy one now just to be ready !*! !*! !*! !*! !*! !*! !*! !*! !*! !*!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Thanks for sharing your story Rob, fun read. Great to see another member with a supportive wife willing to work with you on setting up the pin space.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Thanks for posting Rob,really enjoyed your answers.

For the guys on this forum that have never had the chance to meet Rob the guy just overflows with enthusiasm and is one of the nicest guys you could meet.

Before he owned a pin he would come to Paul's meets and just hang on to everybodies every word looking at learning as much as possible.

Just one word of advice mate:

Take a and b  *%*

Spoke about it with the wife today and she is pushing for me to use the double garage... who am i to complain????
And thanks for the nice comments guys, i have really enjoyed the help and the new mates i have found through this site and through pinball. I love this place!!

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Well written and very entertaining read Rob .  I'm jealous .. you get the whole double garage , I am only allowed half of mine.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney

Up for discussion but the missus has been quite supportive. She has given me 2 options:

Rob
I'll have to get Mrs Ford Fairlane to talk to Mrs Bossninja. I'm only allowed half the garage.
Great read. I've got an unfinished Pro Football in the garage that has some of the problems on your thread. It has been very helpful.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass

Rob
I'll have to get Mrs Ford Fairlane to talk to Mrs Bossninja. I'm only allowed half the garage.
Great read. I've got an unfinished Pro Football in the garage that has some of the problems on your thread. It has been very helpful.

Hey Boss,

With the help of everyone here, im slowly becoming a Pro Football expert. Yours will be a piece of cake so when you're ready we will get the show on the road!!! And yes Mrs Fairlane has been very good about my new obsession which is quite scary because i dont really win much with her  $#$

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
If the wife doesn't drive (like mine) they have no interested at all in garages. That's why I made all of mine into the games room.
Oh I tell a lie my wife does drive, Drives me up the wall. Can't knock her really, she has no interest at all in pinball so leaves me alone to get on with it.
Darren.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Great stuff Rob  ^^^