Author Topic: 30 years since Luna Park Sydney Fire  (Read 2028 times)

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
30 years since Luna Park Sydney Fire
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
This week marks 30 years since the mysterious fire in the Ghost Train at Sydney's Luna Park.
The attached item was in the Sydney Morning Herald
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
Re: 30 years since Luna Park Sydney Fire
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
The Ghost Train in its hey day.
It was at the Luna Park auction, after the fire, where I bought my first pin - a 1970 Gottlieb EM.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
That stirred an old memory. Just googled the fire, and found this reference to pinball in the Wikipedea entry

Former Park Artist Martin Sharp claimed that Saffron had approached Luna Park's owner, Ted Hopkins, at a point several years before the fire, offering to buy the park.[2] In 1985, it was claimed by NSW MP Michael John Hatton that Saffron had beneficial ownership of the park, resulting in an inquiry, which concluded that although people related to Saffron were involved in supplying pinball and arcade games to Luna Park, Abe Saffron himself was not linked to the ownership of the park.[2]
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
I remember as a kid being scared of that Ghost Train - just looking at it gives me the creeps!

Man that was one freaky looking entrance to that ride, still remember standing underneath it in the late 1960s just looking up at that skeleton 'riding' the train with my jaw on the ground.

pinballist

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:30:52 PM »
Man you're not kidding! I used to get creeped out just approaching the big Luna Park face.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 07:33:01 PM »
Man you're not kidding! I used to get creeped out just approaching the big Luna Park face.

Also how people never got thrown and killed from the Big Dipper will remain a mystery!

Once in Coney Island everything changed! Pinballs everywhere!  #*#

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
So bossninja's first pin could have been ex Abe Saffron??

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:00:16 PM »
So bossninja's first pin could have been ex Abe Saffron??

My Aquarius is a 1970s machine. Up until the late 70s, Luna Park had its own machines and mechanics looking after them. In the back of my Aquarius is a record of who (on the Luna Park staff) worked on it. Saffron's "Arcadia Amusements" began moving in in the late 70s. Saffron also had pins, video games and cigarette machines all around Sydney. Cash from machines was a great way to launder money and dodge tax. There is strong suspicion that Saffron wanted Luna Park - I'm not surprised if he was linked to the fire.

I think the "old" machines (pre 1975) at the auction were the original Luna Park ones.

I loved the old Luna Park and the Penny Arcade. I got to wander around the park before the auction - very errie. Somewhere on the AP site I posted photos I took, including one of the ruins of the Ghost Train after the fire.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:02:06 PM by bossninja17 »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »
Ah well, would have made a good story - but it does sound like you have done your research.

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »
In the name of research, I visted the Venus Room once - it was run by Saffron and you could smell the evil in the joint.

pinballist

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 10:54:47 AM »
In the name of research, I visted the Venus Room once.

Ha ha ha love it!!