Author Topic: Do you dare to enter the Black Hole?  (Read 11545 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Do you dare to enter the Black Hole?
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
 I love the “robot” style voice in this game “Do you dare to enter the Black Hole?” In this case though, it’s “Do you dare to enter the Black Hole restoration that will take about 15 years to complete?”

When I bought this game, the seller told me about the playfield wear, which was quite bad. When I asked about the cabinet, well, that too let the game down!! Anyway, it was cheap and playable, which back then was unusual for a Black Hole.

The short version of the other part of the long story is about 15 years ago I bought a playfield in the USA, had it shipped over to the then most prominent restoration company, paid a hefty deposit and was promised  a 13 week turn around….. about 10 years later I got the half completed playfield back…

Anyway, I now have a very nice restored playfield ready to go, so I got into the cab restoration so I'd have somewhere nice for the playfield.

It does mean saying goodbye to Sean, Stu, Ace and Reidy - any of you guys still out there?

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Do you dare to enter the Black Hole?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »
Lots of CUSTOM holes and dings.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »
Paint came off very easily.
Note that Gottlieb happily painted white over black...more on that in a moment.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
My bother had one of his guys mix me some auto acrylic to the right colour. I had already added the "stars" before I took a shot of the blue. Did the stars using an electric toothbrush!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »

What is it with these stencil guys?? The last one I did (Joker Poker) had so may issues I needed to work around.
Now these ones - different supplier - well, seems the idea of using something like a measuring device was outside scope - hopelessly short of the correct length.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49:56 PM »

But came up fine with a little tweaking.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »

But then it got worse.
For some reason, these guys made the decision that it would not be appropriate to paint white over black. Instead, they produced the stencils so that the black was added *after* the white, meaning that where they crossed through the letters, the user was expected to be able to line them all up. Without the help of registration marks, andd notwithstanding that they had their measurements not quite right either!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 07:54:25 PM »
Anyway, I decided to jigsaw the various areas so I could match the crossovers better. Considering the size of the stencils, probably made it easier in the long run.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:55:09 PM »

In the end I was happy with the final result.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »
Last bit.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
Looks unrea mate well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 09:53:42 PM »
Looks very nice. ^^^

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
Wow! Just....wow!

Can't wait to see this thread unfold. Love Black Hole.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
Lookin' good so far  ^^^ 

I'm working on a Black Hole atm, cabinet is rooted and i've been supplied with a donor cabinet to repaint.
And yes the black stencil was definitely done first and that's how i'll be doing this one i'm doing.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 12:02:18 PM »

What is it with these stencil guys?? The last one I did (Joker Poker) had so may issues I needed to work around.
Now these ones - different supplier - well, seems the idea of using something like a measuring device was outside scope - hopelessly short of the correct length.

I call it the pinball hobby. Wrong sizing, wrong colours, wrong artwork and that goes for stencils, plastics, apron decals, you name it they get it wrong. I think Stevie Wonder oversees most of these runs lol

Eventhough you had all the hassles, I think you really well and the cab has turned out fantastic. Great work and great result
Still loving my Metallica Premium