Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Discs
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »
Great stuff Chuck.

Your package has made my decision to eventually buy a P2K even quicker now!

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
I hadn't followed the project closely enough to realise this was based on Linux.

Then again, as I keep finding out, most of the best hardware/software combinations are really well configured or well enhanced Linux boxes.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »

Very pretty, Chuck !

Makes the package look very professional  @@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

pinballist

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »
Linux eliminates the MS bottleneck and copyright bull*hit :)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
There's no doubt Linux makes sense, I just hadn't heard that this was the way they were going with this.

If you had to put a Microsoft licence on top you would certainly be adding dollars.

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »
It's not just the licensing fee for windows (100 additional bucks) but it's also the ability to have direct access to the hardware and to be able to completely control timing and priority. Linux was a pita sometimes (we fixed numerous driver and library bugs) but it really was the only option. We chose Ubuntu because it's the most user friendly and easiest to install. It is also pretty stable (this release anyway)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
It's not just the licensing fee for windows (100 additional bucks) but it's also the ability to have direct access to the hardware and to be able to completely control timing and priority. Linux was a pita sometimes (we fixed numerous driver and library bugs) but it really was the only option. We chose Ubuntu because it's the most user friendly and easiest to install. It is also pretty stable (this release anyway)

Does that mean you guys patched the scheduler to get the level of control timing and priority you required? Or was that not required in this instance?

We have been using Ubuntu for servers for a number of years now and have been happy with it.

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »

Does that mean you guys patched the scheduler to get the level of control timing and priority you required? Or was that not required in this instance?

We have been using Ubuntu for servers for a number of years now and have been happy with it.

Nothing like that. One of our goals was not to modify the OS in any way and we managed to meet that goal. really nucore should work with any stable linux release. The problem is some releases aren't very stable ;-)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »

Nothing like that. One of our goals was not to modify the OS in any way and we managed to meet that goal. really nucore should work with any stable linux release. The problem is some releases aren't very stable ;-)

Do tell??? So was the code written in C or some other language - my research hasn't turned this up yet.

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 06:07:23 AM »

Do tell??? So was the code written in C or some other language - my research hasn't turned this up yet.

C with a bit of inline assembly. We also wanted it to be very portable in case we decided to switch platforms at any time.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »
Thanks for answering all the questions. There is no doubt this is a very interesting project and I wish you all the success you deserve.