Author Topic: Last Action Hero  (Read 6733 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Last Action Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:02 PM »
I will let the mylar settle for a couple of days (I have been advised this - hopefully correct) then apply maguries wax...

What is the reasoning behind letting the mylar settle?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 08:38:24 AM »
I will let the mylar settle for a couple of days (I have been advised this - hopefully correct) then apply maguries wax...

What is the reasoning behind letting the mylar settle?

Well when I purchased it I asked do I need to wait before I can wax entire PF (this was on my last project).. The response was that yes I should wait as it will shrink once applied.
I don't know if this was correct however I can't do too much for the time being until my other parts arrive!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »

Mylar does shrink over time.. Mylar installed near globes shrinks, becomes hard and then yellow - But this takes years..

Not sure why you would have to wait for a patch of mylar to settle.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
Well I shall continue waxing duties regardless then.  I guess once the glue has dried its dried and not going anywhere...

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding black paint for the backbox as this was my task for tonight!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
Well I shall continue waxing duties regardless then.  I guess once the glue has dried its dried and not going anywhere...

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding black paint for the backbox as this was my task for tonight!

Unless anyone has any ideas - I'd suggest you PM Wotto as he is the master of Cabinet refurbishment  :D

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »

Mylar does shrink over time.. Mylar installed near globes shrinks, becomes hard and then yellow - But this takes years..

Not sure why you would have to wait for a patch of mylar to settle.

Yeah, thats what I would think Nino, no reason to wait? once it is down it is down

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 09:18:36 PM »
It does shrink slightly, but youll never notice it - approx 1/2mm at the most, go ahead and wax my man!

Only reason to let mylar settle and stick down properly is if it was applied using the wet method, if done dry, you have nothing to worry about

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
Well playfield is now back together and waxed.  I will post some pics soon!

I have a couple of questions which I am struggling with at the moment...I fired it up to play a game (with magnet aux board out) and I noticed one thing.  When the ball is ready to launch - ie before I pull the trigger if I press either flipper button twice it will launch the ball.  Is this a feature or is there perhaps another issue?

Also secondly - the crane seem to be out of adjustment.  I spent hours once I put it back in for it to be able to touch both microswitches (note the l/h/s has a rubber block on it only).  What happens is on the far right it stops as it hits the microswitch but is about 5mm to shy for the ball to land correctly on it.  Can you extend the travel of the crane at all?

Thanks again.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »
Well playfield is now back together and waxed.  I will post some pics soon!

I have a couple of questions which I am struggling with at the moment...I fired it up to play a game (with magnet aux board out) and I noticed one thing.  When the ball is ready to launch - ie before I pull the trigger if I press either flipper button twice it will launch the ball.  Is this a feature or is there perhaps another issue?

Also secondly - the crane seem to be out of adjustment.  I spent hours once I put it back in for it to be able to touch both microswitches (note the l/h/s has a rubber block on it only).  What happens is on the far right it stops as it hits the microswitch but is about 5mm to shy for the ball to land correctly on it.  Can you extend the travel of the crane at all?

Thanks again.

I Think the answer to your first question is that it is a feature.. Some Bally Williams have this feature. Just in case the trigger button fails, the game can still e played..

I can't answer your second question as I've never worked on this machine.. I'm sure Mick will know  ^^^

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 07:47:14 AM »
1 yes it is normal for the flippers to also shoot the ball.

2 sounds like the switch is engaging too early and it needs to be adjusted.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
1 yes it is normal for the flippers to also shoot the ball.

2 sounds like the switch is engaging too early and it needs to be adjusted.

OK, one less issue to deal with the flippers!

2.  I cannot see an adjustments.  Both microswitches are fixed and they cannot be moved.  It is only just short.  If I move the actual crane (via hex bolt on the shaft) a few mm, then its too short to hit the switch on the left (blue ramp), but the ball lands on it fine.
I guess the rubber black block on one side of the crane is to allow for this - which is still there I have not removed it.  I can not adjust the yellow wire ramp in top corner either...

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 01:46:51 PM »
You can adjust the microswitch by bending the metal lever that pushes in the switch, all you want is for the switch to activate a little later than it is currently.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
You can adjust the microswitch by bending the metal lever that pushes in the switch, all you want is for the switch to activate a little later than it is currently.

I have now adjusted these switches as best as possible.  I don't actually think the switches control the end movements of crane.  When the switches were out of adjustment (ie not being pressed at either end), the crane would still stop and the end of its 'stroke' and then return to centre if the switch was not pressed.

It is an absolute pain in the ar$e to adjust, mm by mm.  I have it now so the yellow ramp drops the ball cleanly onto crane, however it stops about 3mm short of the switch on the blue ramp.  Even with the black rubber square its just short.  I think a solution is to get another small square of rubber and put it on top of the other one.  I think perhaps the gear has maybe dropped a tooth or to as it should not be this hard.  I don't know if the rubber square is in fact factory.  If not perhaps the operator did this to compensate.  I don't even know where to find the type of rubber too.. Maybe bunnings..

If the extra bit of rubber fixes it then it will work until I decide to strip the motor and rebuild it..

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
The switches tell the motor to stop.  Sounds like you need to adjust the switch on the blue ramp as well.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »
I checked an existing LAH at bumper today.  No rubber on the LHS of crane, so I would definately say there is an issue with the gears as its stopping short both sides..  I will pull the assembly out once I've played her for a bit!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:21:11 PM by MartyJ »