Author Topic: WPC Sound Board Interface Error and no Fliptronics  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Maxprofits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
WPC Sound Board Interface Error and no Fliptronics
« on: July 26, 2021, 07:19:21 PM »
Hello all,

Been a very long time since I had time to do much pinball stuff. Anywho, I'm hoping that is changing.

I am in the process of resurrecting my much neglected TZ. During this process I found a fault that I haven't came across before and could not find much about online either.

Fault symptoms were, one bong on boot up and then no sound at all after that. Test would report "sound board interface error", switch tests would not see anything associated with the fliptronics board (no flipper). The display was unaffected.

After some fault finding I eventually swapped CPU boards and all faults disappeared (fault was on the TZ CPU board).

Some further research showed the U3 on the CPU was the likely offender.

Replaced U3 (74LS245), reinstalled CPU board and the fault was cleared.

I post this in the hope that if someone else experiences a similar fault, this post will help them.

Cheers,

Dan

The thicken plots.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Nice work getting it sorted and thanks for sharing your results to help others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: WPC Sound Board Interface Error and no Fliptronics
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 10:51:02 AM »
Hello all,

Been a very long time since I had time to do much pinball stuff. Anywho, I'm hoping that is changing.

I am in the process of resurrecting my much neglected TZ. During this process I found a fault that I haven't came across before and could not find much about online either.

Fault symptoms were, one bong on boot up and then no sound at all after that. Test would report "sound board interface error", switch tests would not see anything associated with the fliptronics board (no flipper). The display was unaffected.

After some fault finding I eventually swapped CPU boards and all faults disappeared (fault was on the TZ CPU board).

Some further research showed the U3 on the CPU was the likely offender.

Replaced U3 (74LS245), reinstalled CPU board and the fault was cleared.

I post this in the hope that if someone else experiences a similar fault, this post will help them.

Cheers,

Dan

Did you put the old board back in before replacing U3?
I have seen this rectified by reseating the ribbon cable.