Author Topic: Wanted Comet Backglass. Good Condition or New  (Read 475 times)

Offline punkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
Wanted Comet Backglass. Good Condition or New
« on: April 24, 2023, 01:33:25 PM »
Hi guys, just on the chance of someone having a spare good Comet backglass?

Found the last one for my roller coaster set this morning, but the backglass is terrible.

Would love a mirrored glass, but RTBB is out of stock.

Is there a translight available for them?
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Wanted Comet Backglass. Good Condition or New
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 02:07:22 PM »
most originals that i have seen are very faded/washed out

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 12:16:11 PM »
Hi guys, just on the chance of someone having a spare good Comet backglass?

Found the last one for my roller coaster set this morning, but the backglass is terrible.

Would love a mirrored glass, but RTBB is out of stock.

Is there a translight available for them?

We don't carry them in our inventory, so they are not out of stock. We can pre order for and have it within 2-3 weeks depending on how busy CPR are.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 05:39:40 AM »
What's the latest on CPR and their 'warrantee' here mate? Are they still saying Australia is the cause of the flaking?

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 01:16:32 PM »
What's the latest on CPR and their 'warrantee' here mate? Are they still saying Australia is the cause of the flaking?
I think Nino is opening them up and inspecting them before sending them on
I have seen the rejects, I would still buy them

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 03:10:29 PM »

Who is "they" ?

We have been the CPR Distributor for over 10 years, with 300+ backglasses imported and not one single backglass has arrived with, or developed "flaking". I assume you are referring to the misinformation posted on Pinside alluding to the "spots" or "corrugations" ?

Since moving to Digital Direct to Glass there has been a SHIPPING issue caused by severe temperature changes. This is a known issue with Direct to Glass printing as the tech is relatively young. It happens in the signwriting industry as well..

Happy to provide the facts based on actual numbers and hours of experience.

Since moving to Direct to Glass Digital printing, we have received 194 backglasses. These are pre-order and for stock. Each and every backglass is personally checked by me, photographed and I sign my name and date before it is shipped out to the customer. Of these 194, 8 have been affected by humidy and moisture caused by the fluctuating (often severely) temperature conditions. Nova Scotia has Snow. Hawaii is very hot and humid. Botany is usually mild. The backglasses are loaded in Nova Scotia (snow) and are stored in a cargo hold of a plane (very cold) before landing in Hawaii (hot and humid). They stay in Hawaii until the transfer plane is ready to depart. Back into a cold cargo hold and then arrives in Botany. The backglasses are unpacked by myself and individually inspected.

That's a defect rate of 4% caused by the temperature fluctuations.

That's an great figure if you take into account that we are shipping pieces of glass that are changing hands several times. Even UPS, with their premium service have accidentally damaged a whopping 4 backglasses either through dropping the box or scratching the glass accidentally (over the last 10 years)

Of the 186 BGs that pass my inspection, they are mostly shipped locally. Of this 188 BGs, 4 have arrived at the customer's with the exact same issue. One to NSW and the other three to QLD. That's 2% arriving with the exact issue.

So what are the options ? Should we cease to import the backglasses completely on the basis of a 4% failure rate ? Here's some context - We (RTBB) have dropped three suppliers in the last 2 years - one MASSIVE supplier on the basis of plastic, metal and timber products being defective, broken or incorrect quantities to the tune of 25% of total orders. So the risks of bringing in the CPR backglasses and the HOURS of my time unpacking, inspecting, repacking, shipping to customers is totally worth it for 4%. Especially considering that ALL 4 customers had their defective backglasses either replaced under warranty, or we offered a healthy discount. Given this issue is on the back of the backglass, it is rarely seen while playing the machine.

Other issues have created this exact problem once the backglass is installed in the machine - such as cleaning with windex direct to the ink side and letting it settle in the lift channel.

Yes, I've read the rubbish on Pinside. The lack of facts and honesty is truly astounding.

Ironically, CPR have found a NEW product made by an Australian Business that assists with adhesion of Digital Ink to glass. The last batch of backglasses shipped to us all have this product applied. All good so far, but going by figures, we need to see at least 25-30 backglasses before we pop the champagne.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 03:13:02 PM »
I think Nino is opening them up and inspecting them before sending them on
I have seen the rejects, I would still buy them

Almost all were sold and are installed in customer games. I think I have a TZ, ToM and a DE Star Trek 35th left.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 05:53:17 AM »
You've stated that they 'were' all covered by warranty, does that mean the 'rubbish' on pinside ( and everywhere else) that CPR no longer warrants backglasses shipping to Australia in particular true or false and what warranty here or esewhere is there was all i am asking.

Not about failure rate.

If i spend the cash and order one, what happens if it arrives flaking?